My comments and suggestions on ISkin Exo....

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
My first comment must be on the excellent information and feedback that Lajo gives to us all on this forum. It is very refreshing to have direct contact with the creator of a product such as this.

The second comment is a tale of two distributors. My first Exo was ordered a month ago from www.macbazzar.co.uk and still has not arrived. The second I ordered directly from Lajo's site and it arrived within 3 or 4 days.

Now that I finally have my hands on the Exo I can finally comment on the skin itself as opposed to my disapointment with the delivery process of one UK distributor!

First impression was good, the presentation in the clear plastic case is great and the silicon itself has a satisfying feeling of quality to it. The screen protector was less impressive due to it's diminutive size but also the fact that it wasn't formed perfectly. (More on that later)

The process for inserting the Ipod into the skin could be better though once inserted the fit is snug though the softness of the silicon does lend itself to wandering very slightly over the surface of the Ipod. If I was only going to be inserting the pod once and then living with it in the Skin for long periods then this wouldn't be a problem buit as I like to use and charge with the Dock putting the Ipod in and out of the skin could get old very quickly.

An aesthetically pleasing and functionally effective way of docking in the skin must be worth considering.

The screen protector was less impressive for me and I gave up on it almost immediately. Perhaps I was unlucky to have one which wasn't absolutely formed properly buit I doubt it makes a big difference. the problem being that I could not be confident that it would not fall off/out either when used in my pocket or with the belt clip. Even with the slightly sticky nature of the material used there is simply not a big enough overlap between the Iskin itself and the protector given the give in the Skin itself for it to be secured with any confidence. This is of course only my opinion but having said that screen protection is not high on my list of priorities either but I would be interested to hear other opinions on this.

Onto the belt clip. This for me was the most disapointing aspect of the skin and is the reason that my pod hasn't left home wearing the skin yet. It just does not inspire enough confidence in it's construction, it doesn't look or feel strong and I hate the way it can swivel. There is also a certain amount of give in the silicon of the Iskin so when you clip the Iskin to your belt not only can it rotate but the Iskin sags slightly so it is never snug against your body.

For me the complicated clipping mechanism is just not good enough for me to ever use it, a much simpler and more secure clip more along the lines of the one on the Apple case itself wuld be a huge improvement. It doesn't stick out, has a very low profile and holds the case absolutely snug to your body.

The clip is obviously only of interest to those who like to clip the Ipod onto the belt, like me. If I was just going to be slipping the Iskin into my pocket then I would remove the screw and would be perfectly happy what was left.

I guess all in all I have been impressed by the aesthetics of the skin, the quality of the silicon itself ( though I would prefer it to have slightly less give ) and the concept but less impressed with the practicalities of using the Iskin day to day.

Of course this depends on exactly how you use your Ipod but for me the docking procedure is a pain in the butt and the belt clip is totally useless so for the time being the Skin is going unused and I am back with the original Apple one. Just for knocking around the house it is great, until I have to pop it in the dock, and I can envisage a trip abroad where it would the perfect case to throw in a suitcase and use on the beach with some travel speakers and the seperate charger. It would be a good solution to a car installation too.

I would be interested in other people's comments on this and I will try and post some pictures to better illustrate what I think could be improved in the Iskin though perhaps my concerns are unique.

Last edited:

Lajo

Banned
Website
www.lajo.biz
Thank you for your evaluation. That is one of the reasons I like designing, there is always the next level to climb to. I am still impressed at how quick the packages from China get delivered. If you would see the traffic at the Hong Kong border you would understand. Watch for 2nd gen eXo and you will see some improvement. My next design to be released is for the 2nd gen iPod, should be out soon.

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
I hope I do not seem over critical Lajo but I am a great believer in constructive criticism and as you take such a personal interest I hope my comments are useful.