My 2 cents on Martin Fields

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

enjoisoad

I recently bought some Martin Fields protectors for my nano and 5g. My nano is white and my 5g is black.

Out of the box.
Pros
-The packaging is very nice. Hard case with a biggie in it and the protectors inside the baggie.
-Each protector comes in a seperate package.
-The clickwheel, center button, and face are NOT connected.

Cons
-The stickers they use to mark the back from the front do not come off totaly clean and is kinda hard to remove all residue.

Tips
-Start with A LOT of tape. Trust me you'll need it.
-Get the twin pack. You won't regret it.
-Have a CLEAN place to work.
-Get a microfiber cloth (I did not have one so I used an iPod sock.)
-DO NOT use paper towels, tissues, toiolit paper etc.. because it will leave millions of itty bitty fibers on your ipod.

Application
Pros
-The materiel is very thick and tough. This means it's VERY hard to screw up a sheet beyond repair.
-Easily lifted up with scotch tape.
Cons
-The protector face is NOT cut perfectly. If you line it up equaly around the edges (roughly 1/2-1mm from the edges) the clickwheel cutout will be off to the up right by a millimeter or so. Not TO big a deal but I expect perfection.
-Dust will kill you. You will spend 30min to an hour lifting and getting dust off with stocth tape.

First try 5th gen
Once I finaly positined the face i spent a good 45min with a credit card and tape removing dust. Once I was FINALY done it looked like crap because of all the tape glue and credit card scratches. I decided to try the nano next.

First try Nano
The nano instalation went much smoother. I had an old chepo single piece PDA protector over it so i simply removed that and there was only 2 flecks of dust that I quickly removed.

Second try 5th gen
Now that I built up some expierence with this stuff i went back to my 5th gen. I realized this messed up one had to go. So I removed the first protector and applied the second one. There was considerably less dust this time. Once it was PERFECT i still had some credit card scratches and tape glue. So i lightly wet my thumb and ran it over the trouble spots. Then dried it with the iPod sock and viola its crystal clear.

Clickwheel protector
Pros
-Lets everything sit evenly
-Sensitivity is slightly reduced
Cons
-Ugly as sin when applied
-Does not stick very well. It will stay on there but you can tell it's barely hangin in there.

In the end I removed both clickwheel protectors

Center Button protector
Pros
-it is cut accuratly
Cons
-It is damn near impossible to remove the backing without "denting" the endge of the actuall protector thus leading to an "air bubble" that will never leave. (happend on all 3 attempts on putting on teh center.) However I did leave it on as it's not that bad.

Backpice (not present on nano)
Pros
-Fits great on a 3rd, 4th gen
Cons
-It's cut to big on all sides. No matter where I put it it would not stick on all sides.

I did not leave the backpice on but instead stuck it on my 4th gen and it works great.

Overall these are quite worth the money but you should also invest in a hard case as well. And please get a twin pack because you will most likely screw up on the first one. Also the protector is pretty much invisable on a white iPod and much easier to see on a black one.

PS. I selected 2day shipping 1.5 weeks ago. So I am not pleased with that.

enjoisoad

It was kind of roll of the dice. Some were on the protector and some were on the backing.

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
mechietechie.blogspot.com
hmm, thats odd...i gotta agree, they a pain to install cleanly. i just installed them the best i cud...there some dust and residue, but its not too bad...only distracts a bit when watching videos

iMonster

Roooooar!
that thing is a sticker then ?

can you reuse it ? o_O

I haven't read up on these enough hehe ^_^ they all usually look pretty fantastic though and I want one even though no one would see it in the toughskin really..

enjoisoad

Yea it is a sticker but it is very high quality. For a test I took one of the clickwheel pices and I had to push REALLY hard with a razor to cut it. Also the adheasive is extreamly mild leaving NO residue. After some time in my pockets and slipcase it actually cleaned it off so when it looks bad right after instalation don't think all is lost. And iMonster even if you get a toughskin I would also get a film protector unless you plan on leaving it in the case forever.

julesNYC

I received my Martin Field overlay in the mail yesterday (shipping took longer than I expected, but whatever) and I couldn't be happier.

It turned out great. All you need is some patience and carefulness. Totally worth it. Thanks Marty!!

vak

I thought the MF was made of the same scratch-resistant material as the IS. Wasn't that video test with the key scratching that didn't show up on the IS? How is he saying that a credit card scratched up the MF? Isn't the MF supposed to be made of the same scratch-resistant stuff as the IS? Should I just put the IS on the whole thing then?

enjoisoad

The IS would probobly provide better protection as it appears to be a tougher material. The MF is clearer and does not use a wet instalation.

As for scratching it scratching was really a poor choice of words. It was more like after using teh credit card and tape for an hour there was glue residue and a smoky look whereever the credit card frequented. I would buy a twin pack as your second installation will more than likely be much cleaner than your first.