• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Music vs. Movies

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

miniMAMF

I don't know if this question has ever been raised here, so please excuse me if that's the case.

With all the talk about a true video iPod, which is undoubtedly on the way, is anyone worried that Apple will discontinue the iPod as a music player (primarily)? I mean, when the iPod first came out, did anyone really think, hey, this would be great if we would play feature-length movies on it?

Personally, music is my love. I have over 250 DVD's, so I love movies too, but I don't think I'd ever watch a movie on an iPod while riding the subway. I've seen other commuters with 5G iPods, and they all listen to music. Kids with the PSP's are playing games or watching videos, mostly.

I'm getting a new 5.5G as soon as the stores get them in stock, and so far the only use I could think of for video is so I can easily plug into the TV with my edited-from-the-DVD workout video to do in the mornings.

Maybe things will change once I get my new toy. While portable video is cool, I just hope Apples keeps a version that is primarily intended for music.

Any thoughts?

Skwidspawn

I don't doubt at all that Apple will keep a "regular" iPod on the market. In fact I'm more inclined to say that a true "video" iPod would not be an iPod at all, that Apple would start a new line of portable devices, the "vPod" or something. There will always be people who just need a device for audio (myself included), and thus a market for audio MP3 players.

Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there who still use CDs. How many car stereos come with iPod compatibility, or even MP3 capabilities? None stock, that's for sure! My point is that the vast majority of people out there are still dealing in "old" standards, and as long as there are people to convert over to digital audio there will be an iPod there for them.

miniMAMF

Skwidspawn said:
Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there who still use CDs. How many car stereos come with iPod compatibility, or even MP3 capabilities? None stock, that's for sure! My point is that the vast majority of people out there are still dealing in "old" standards, and as long as there are people to convert over to digital audio there will be an iPod there for them.
What's a CD? :p

Just kidding...that's what I would figure...a new line for dedicated video players. The iPod form factor is such a distinct thing that it would be foolish of them to change it drastically.

I just notice a lot of attention given to the video capabilities. Every 5G review I read commented how the video capability should have been better, etc.

I just wonder how many people would buy a device that's primarily a video player.

Skwidspawn

I would too, cause it would be great in certain circumstances. What I want more though is some sort of PDA/Organizer to be built into my "iPod" so that I don't have to carry around a phone, PDA, and iPod...

VipFREAK

Skwidspawn said:
What I want more though is some sort of PDA/Organizer to be built into my "iPod" so that I don't have to carry around a phone, PDA, and iPod...
Yeah, actually if they had a keyboard adapter where I could use the "notes" on the iPoo I'd use that feature too.

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
My guess would be that the Nano line will continue on with increasing capacity every generation, and will become the default "music" player while the iPod will continue to evolve as a "media" player, handling video and music. I watch some video on my iPod, but not much, but I do use it as a go-between device. I download a show off of iTunes, put it on my iPod, and watch it on my TV. With the announcement of iTV, I think this may be where Apple might be going long term, as well. I expect they'll continue to improve on the video capabilities of the iPod, giving them bigger screens and supporting more formats (hopefully, although I could also see them using the limited format options as a way to pressure consumers into buying their videos from iTunes), but I also expect that there will be a focus on exporting video from your iPod, because televisions have just been getting bigger and better, and no matter how much of the iPod's real estate you dedicate to a screen, if you can hold it in your hand, it's still not going to be great for long-term veiwing.

The nano, on the other hand, is well on it's way to becoming the default music-only player. It's already up to 8 GB on its 2nd generation, so I expect it will soon be large enough to handle most people's entire music libraries. It may never be expanded to support video because the focus and appeal of the nano seems to be its size and portability moreso than its capacity or ability to do any other tricks.

miniMAMF

That's a good point. I think the next iPod I purchase will be the 32GB or 64GB flash-based nano-sized music player. Sweet.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
I imagine if they introduce a full-screen iPod, it will be done in an "iPod photo" transition. They'll let it sell for a few months, and then just replace the middle device with the video player. They won't abandon it as a music player, but they won't make a separate device for video, because the video player will consistently outsell the music player.

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
Yeah, a video only device seems unlikely also because anything that handles video will also have to handle sound, and sound files take up much less space than video, so basically there's no reason not to support music even if they bill it primarily as a video device.

cyclist14

I think the 5.5 gen. will be the last iPod that balances Music and Video, and that future players will slant towards video.

aluren

i think apple is trying for an all-in-one device, very slowly. sooner or later the ipod will have the widescreen and if its a touchscreen also, you automatically have tons of possibilities for games. so as much as i want apple to keep ipod to only music, i doubt that will happen.

Skwidspawn

You won't be the only person out there who just wants a music player. The Nano is a huge seller, so is the shuffle, outselling the 5G iPod. We can expect apple will keep them, or something like them, around for a long time.

miniMAMF

Yeah, I suppose that in the future if I have two choices:

1. A full-size iPod, or "vPod" that primarily does video, but also supports music of course, with a touchscreen, maybe, or

2. A nano-sized (or even a bit smaller) player that is primarily about music, with or without limited video support that can fit my entire music library,

I'd probably let size in my pocket trump video capability. A video device will inevitably have to be bigger, so we can look forward to a mind-controlled, ear-implanted music device that doesn't take up any room in your pocket and we can then laugh at the video-heads carrying around what will surely be a relatively bulky piece of hardware.

Last edited:

reallybored

I think apple should make the screen horizontal , slightly bigger, and have a click wheel the size of a nano's.

SeannyBoy84

reallybored said:
I think apple should make the screen horizontal , slightly bigger, and have a click wheel the size of a nano's.
Sorry, but this has already been discussed many times, not to mention it has nothing to do with this thread.

miniMAMF said:
What's a CD? :p

Just kidding...that's what I would figure...a new line for dedicated video players. The iPod form factor is such a distinct thing that it would be foolish of them to change it drastically.

I just notice a lot of attention given to the video capabilities. Every 5G review I read commented how the video capability should have been better, etc.

I just wonder how many people would buy a device that's primarily a video player.
I still buy CDs. I have never bought anything from the iTunes Store. Why pay the same price for a protected 128kbps album, when I can get the actual CD to own and rip it any way I want? That being said, after it's been ripped to my PC, it goes back in its case, and I never see it again.

As for a device that's primarily a video player. I was thinking about this myself. Would I buy such a thing? I don't know. I suppose it all depends on what the end product is. I am both a huge music and TV/music fan, but I've never had the urge to watch movies on the go, unless of course during long road trips/flights. I see it as good to have when you need it.

I don't beleive that there will be a separate vPod line. The "iPod" brand is just too strong. When the inevitable video iPod arrives, it will just be a pricey, souped up iPod with lots of features. There will still be lower-priced iPods for the music fans, that just have video support like the 5G when and if they decide to watch a show or two.