Music behind audio books?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Does music enhance audio books?

• Yes, I love it and it gets me in the mood

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't much like it

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • It drives me crazy!

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Just canvassing opinion from forum members about the use of music in audio books.

Lots of audio book publishers seem to think it adds atmosphere, excitement or something to have a musical introduction to a book.

My own opinion is that it's a damn nuisance. The music background to the start of "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" goes on for over a minute, well into the narration, making it hard to concentrate on the real reason I bought the audio book - to listen to the story!

And if I have to hear the damn stupid musical introduction to the early Terry Pratchett stories one more time...! :-(

dordale

I'm with you David--I really don't want background music in my audio books. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd play a music file!!

dordale :)

arsolot

david1951 said:
The music background to the start of "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" goes on for over a minute, well into the narration . . .
David:

I've just started the same book. The music was quite annoying; I found myself impatiently waiting for it to be over, and wondering if it was going to last the entire book!

No music at all would suit me just fine.

robert

Retired
david1951 said:
The music background to the start of "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" goes on for over a minute, well into the narration, making it hard to concentrate on the real reason I bought the audio book - to listen to the story!
Funny, I am going to vote against music, but I began Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell last night and darned if I can remember any music at the beginning. Must not have bothered me too much. But, having gone back to check it out, find it objectionable after it was brought to my attention. At least it didn't last long.

Reminds me of conversations with friends about audio books when they say, "I prefer the old fashioned way of reading -- printed books." To which, I say, audio is the oldest fashion way -- story tellers predate printed books by eons. So, did the story tellers frequently accompany thier stories with music? Probably did, but I still prefer good narration without music and without too much in the way of dramatics like in How the Irish Saved Civilzation (interesting non-fiction, BTW, if the narrator doesn't distract you too much.)

I do like character voice differentation to help me tell the characters apart. However, when imitating an accent, it should be credible. The English accents in Michael Crichton's newest book -- State of Fear -- are totally inadequate.
Also interesting is which narrators' voices work with the 4G faster setting. State of Fear worked well at faster speed, Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell does not.
We are getting spoiled, aren't we?

Last edited: