Multiple iPods, iPhone + iTunes ???

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iMan

Hi guys,

I have an 80g iPod, A classic 160, a old nano for the gym, a new nano, and about to get an iPhone on Nov 9th here in the UK.

I just upgraded to Leopard and not setup iTunes yes.

Previously I used Multitunes to manage all the iPods. But I would really like to know if there is a simpler way to manage these and the iPhone from iTunes directly or if there is another ad-on I should purchase.

Surely many people have several iPods and I am sure there must be a simple way to manage them without multiple accounts.

I look forward to hear from the experts here.

TIA

iMan

iMan

Thanks Essin,

I am aware of this, but how do you manage them?

IE: how can you have a different library for each device?? :confused:

TIA

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
As Honeybee suggests most of us here think the "Sync selected playlists" is the best option for managing many iPods in one iTunes. You set up a playlist for each iPod that would have the "always on" for each iPod and select it in the iPod preferences under music to always sync, and then select any other playlists you want on them. iTunes knows which iPod is which always.

However if you really want each iPod to have it's own library, iTunes does now allow for multiple libraries, but it requires shutting down and restarting iTunes for each library, also depending on your preferences it could cause duplicate files as you add music into each library (i'd turn off copy to iTunes music folder for all but your main library).

To make multiple libraries, start iTunes while holding down the shift key (option key on the mac) and you'll have the option to either make a new library or choose a library.

Good luck, but I stand by the "select playlists" method!

rayfromtexas

so i want to have 2 ipods...one for 'regular' commercial cds and another for traded music (commonly referred to as bootlegs)....can i use the same itunes program for them if i make 2 kinds of playlists? i have a very large cd collection and want to segregate the two types of cds...1) does this make sense and 2) will it work? i was thinking of getting the new 160g ipod if i fill up my 80g too soon.

iMan

studogvetmed said:
As Honeybee suggests most of us here think the "Sync selected playlists" is the best option for managing many iPods in one iTunes. You set up a playlist for each iPod that would have the "always on" for each iPod and select it in the iPod preferences under music to always sync, and then select any other playlists you want on them. iTunes knows which iPod is which always.

However if you really want each iPod to have it's own library, iTunes does now allow for multiple libraries, but it requires shutting down and restarting iTunes for each library, also depending on your preferences it could cause duplicate files as you add music into each library (i'd turn off copy to iTunes music folder for all but your main library).

To make multiple libraries, start iTunes while holding down the shift key (option key on the mac) and you'll have the option to either make a new library or choose a library.

Good luck, but I stand by the "select playlists" method!
Many thanks studogvetmed,

is there a clear guide somewhere on the internet on how to do this??? :confused:

TIA

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
iMan said:
Many thanks studogvetmed,

is there a clear guide somewhere on the internet on how to do this??? :confused:

TIA
Which one?

You don't need much of a guide if you want to do the selected playlists.

1) Connect iPod.
2) Select iPod in Source list
3) Select music tab
4) Check all playlists you want on the iPod
5) Apply

Anytime you make a new playlist that you want on the iPod you'll need to connect your iPod, and select the music tab and check the playlist and apply the changes.

You might find some good information in our old sync tutorial: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/ipod-connection-and-synchronization/

For the new library it's just a matter of making the new library and being sure you quit iTunes and restart with the shift button and choose the correct library you want for the iPod you are going to sync.

Good luck.

iMan

Many thanks studogvetmed! :)

So in your opinion is it best to use playlists or multiple libraries??

cjmnews

Staff member
I think multiple playlists is better because managing multiple libraries is significantly more complex. Especially when you want to mix the contents of multiple libraries.

iMan

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. :)

PS: This will work with iPhone as weel right?

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes it will. They are all seen as different iPods.

mbart

I use the multiple playlist method but I am really suprised that iTunes isn't more multiple user friendly, anyone have any guesses why this is?

The big limitation with the multiple playlist method is that it makes ratings, playcounts, etc. useless (at least in my case). For instance my wife, myself, and my girls each have an iPod and all of us have very different ideas as to what makes a song 5 stars so everyone in the house knows they are in big trouble if they rate a song because dad doesn't want to pull up his smart playlist of songs with a rating of 5 stars and find it full of High School Musical tracks.

Mike

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
When it comes to multiple users it would be nice if iTunes was a little smarter in dealing with a central repository of songs and allowing users to pull from it.

The best workaround for this is to come with a way to tag songs that you definetely don't want from the other collections. Everyone should tag their songs in the comments then you can use smartplaylists rules to exclude them. Problems come in the overlap of course....

In your case multiple libraries is probably a better method and turning off copy to music folder.

cjmnews

Staff member
I like the idea that you have a personal master list that all of your other playlists depend on.

That way you only have 1 backup, and you don't mix music unless you want to.

birdwig

Website
home.earthlink.net
hhmmmm, I have a problem guys.

I've got a new iPod "classic" as they now call it, 80gb. I've already synced 5 devices to my iTunes, so when I plug this one in, it won't allow me to add any songs. Windows recognizes it has been plugged in, however, iTunes just never acknowledges anything. I'm assuming this is why. Can I remove iPod users that are no longer in existence, such as my first iPod that died, to make room for this new one? I've got my phone synced too, so need to keep that one. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks folks.

Essin

birdwig said:
hhmmmm, I have a problem guys.
I've got a new iPod "classic" as they now call it, 80gb. I've already synced 5 devices to my iTunes, so when I plug this one in, it won't allow me to add any songs..
Are you talking about iTunes Store authorizations? They allow five authorized COMPUTERS, not iPods. You can sync as many iPods as you want to one authorized computer.

birdwig

Website
home.earthlink.net
Ummmm. I think there must be a problem of some sort then. I can't get this brand new ipod to sync. I plug it in, windows recognizes it. It won't show up in iTunes though, in the devices list or whatever. Anyone have any suggestions, troubleshoots? Appreciate it. Thanks guys.