MTV = Musical Injustice

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

morning_glory

Website
emosong.ytmnd.com
Capital R said:
So I watched the 2005 MTV VMA's recently, and Greenday cleaned house. I believe they won all 8 awards for which they were nominated. Now, I know that Greenday has been around for a long time and they can be called the only "real" punk band around since they have political tones in their music, but I feel they only won because they are Greenday. Don't get me wrong, I like Greenday, but I mean, their videos for "American Idiot" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" went head-to-head with My Chemical Romance's "Helena", which I thought was a much better song and video. I mean if you just watch the video for it compared to "American Idiot"'s video filled with green slime and "BoBD"'s video with the band walking down a street. you can totally tell that "Helena" is the superior video; and, it is a much better song. My Chemical Romance should have won at least one award. The voters seem to be completely oblivious to good music and such and have been consumed by the mainstream. But this is only one thing MTV has done wrong.

While I agree with you that some bands were snubbed, can we give MTv a little break here, it's not their fault they killed punk (thank you very much for whoring out Blink 182 and Good Charlotte, while I've never heard them talk about... actually, I don't think I've ever seen MTv talk about a band that was actual punk. But I regress... "Helena was an incredible video, and definetley got the point across, which I think Green Day missed. The album is titled American Idiot for f--ks sake. But tell that to anyone who is a blind Bush supporter, yet they can't stop singing the song.

It's ridiculous how MTV has changed from a great channel filled with great music, to a mainstream channel which is pretty much biased against rock music. Sure, they show a couple rock videos, but it's just not the same MTV. When MTV2 came into play, it was supposed to showcase more rock, but like it's original counterpart, it is now infested with anti-rock bias. It's just disappointing to see good music get the boot because of "popular" music.
I think MTv has always been mainstream. The dfference is, MTv shapes the mainstream, and when Kurt Cobain died, so did Rock as we knew it. After Kurt's death. where was the big new thing? Snoop Dog. And when MTv played, and played, and played... and played his songs over and over again, rap caught on. Then came the god awful Boy Bands to #### on Rock's grave. When we saw a British resurgance (Oasis, Blur, Pulp), in which many bands were ocming into their own in the late 90's, we thought it was back- then they baught on Sum 41, Simple Plan, Blink 182... need I go on? These were the band's that threw the flaming bag of dog crap on Rock's grave once the Boy Band #### dried up. Even as we see another British resurgance (Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, etc.) it seems that the occasional hit is all we have. Now Rap has completely taken over. However, I can take 2Pac, B.I.G., Public Enemy, etc. What I can't take is artists who like to #### on 15 year-old teenage girls, and then complain about how "bad" life is. Combine that, and the lack of actual music MTv plays (dumped in favor of reality shows staring: Mediocre skateboarder acting like a tool, followed by an episode of the worst actor alive pulling the stupidest pranks on the face of the earth), MTv has gone to crap.

I know everyone has their opinion of good music, and I respect that. This is just my opinion. They have a couple good shows now and then, but the music part of MTV has been consumed by the mainstream.
I don't necessarily think that it being mainstream is an issue (hey, Nirvana went mainstream), because as I said before, MTv is a TV network that shapes mainstream music. I just think that the lack of music in general, the ignoring of various genres, and the degrading quality of music in general has sent the network downhill.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I hate MTV, and all that it now stands for. Long live FUSE and VH1.
As do I, as do I...

itsallgonnabeOK

Website
xanga.com
Capital R said:
So I watched the 2005 MTV VMA's recently, and Greenday cleaned house. I believe they won all 8 awards for which they were nominated. Now, I know that Greenday has been around for a long time and they can be called the only "real" punk band around since they have political tones in their music, but I feel they only won because they are Greenday. Don't get me wrong, I like Greenday, but I mean, their videos for "American Idiot" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" went head-to-head with My Chemical Romance's "Helena", which I thought was a much better song and video. I mean if you just watch the video for it compared to "American Idiot"'s video filled with green slime and "BoBD"'s video with the band walking down a street. you can totally tell that "Helena" is the superior video; and, it is a much better song. My Chemical Romance should have won at least one award. The voters seem to be completely oblivious to good music and such and have been consumed by the mainstream. But this is only one thing MTV has done wrong.

It's ridiculous how MTV has changed from a great channel filled with great music, to a mainstream channel which is pretty much biased against rock music. Sure, they show a couple rock videos, but it's just not the same MTV. When MTV2 came into play, it was supposed to showcase more rock, but like it's original counterpart, it is now infested with anti-rock bias. It's just disappointing to see good music get the boot because of "popular" music.

I know everyone has their opinion of good music, and I respect that. This is just my opinion. They have a couple good shows now and then, but the music part of MTV has been consumed by the mainstream.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I hate MTV, and all that it now stands for. Long live FUSE and VH1.
Hhhmmm. Yeah I agree. I love old Green Day music, but I feel they have sold out for MTV and etc. Which might be a cliched, stereotypical scene kid statement, but it's true and I am a scene kid.

I LOVE my chemical romance, and I agree, Helana is a WONDERFUL video/song, very heartfelt and well put together, I have a feeling MCR is going to become a band very well known for their prowess at videos. Ghost of You makes me cry. and I can't stop watching it. Just like Helana.

But unfortunatly, Helana is overplayed and it's adoption by the musical mainstream has given MCR a bad name. :-(

But I still love them almost as much as Nirvana. Which is saying something, TRUST ME!!! :-D
I think MTv has always been mainstream. The dfference is, MTv shapes the mainstream, and when Kurt Cobain died, so did Rock as we knew it. After Kurt's death.
Couldn't agree more. You must be ONE OF US (a nirvana fanatic)
I don't necessarily think that it being mainstream is an issue (hey, Nirvana went mainstream), because as I said before, MTv is a TV network that shapes mainstream music. I just think that the lack of music in general, the ignoring of various genres, and the degrading quality of music in general has sent the network downhill.
WOW you're smart. :-D

Last edited: