MTV = Musical Injustice

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

n3tfury

????? ???
papayaninja said:
Okay, America is fat. I'm fat, I'll admit it. I weigh about 230 lbs. I'm 6' 5" tall. So I'm fat, perhaps even obese, and I haven't been to KFC in probably 3-4 years. My being fat is not KFC's fault, it's mine. According to KFC.com, there were 600 franchised KFCs in 1964. We weren't all fat then. In addition, KFC is available in "more than 80 countries and territories". People in those 80 countries and territories aren't all fat are they?

Congrats on a thousand posts, n3tfury.
hey, the Brits are catching up, no worries.

Sure it's not KFC's fault completely, but back in '64 people were MUCH more active and actually did things outside instead of watching the tube or sitting at the pc all day.

obesity is an epidemic.

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
Green Day have long-ago abandoned the concept of being a punk band. Sure they mainain some of the musical influence but they are embracing their success as a popular rock band. After selling as many records as they have it would be pretty impossible/hypocritical to maintain a truly punk lifestyle all while being one of the biggest acts in the land. You can have either one but not both.

As far as Mtv goes. It's all about volume and dollars. It has nothing to do with which actual song or video is 'clearly' the best. The music/video industry is about majority, ratings, and money. Ideally it could be otherwise but for the big money station (the orignial MTV) they'll go after the mighty dollar every time, afterall it is a business. Mtv2, VH-1, and other will have more freedom to experiment and chase other markets because they are 2nd priority. Believe me I hate the garbage that Mtv plays/markets but that's reality. I just go to launch, Mtv.com or Comcast On-Demand, to check out videos I want to see when I want to see them.

Last edited:

Annihil8or

Down South Lounger
It is quite comical to see Green Day described as "punk rock" as well as the fact that someone thinks that MCR isn't mainstream. due to green day's popularity they are essentially the antithesis of what punk rock stands for. I have a little sister who is 13 and when I went home a few weeks ago the only crap she listens to is these bands like MCR, the bravery, and all the other bands in this trendy pop rock genre.

MTV def doesn't have a very good grip on what good music is, and they haven't for a long time. I'd like to see some bands like Memento, Depswa, or Ra mentioned on tv. I've been listening to Ra for 2 years and their second cd is amazing. actual content with musical ability, unlike most of the successful bands on tv that have zero skill with their instruments.

Last edited:

Capital R

AKA Randall
Website
restinchaos.deviantart.com
Annihil8or said:
It is quite comical to see Green Day described as "punk rock" as well as the fact that someone thinks that MCR isn't mainstream. due to green day's popularity they are essentially the antithesis of what punk rock stands for. I have a little sister who is 13 and when I went home a few weeks ago the only crap she listens to is these bands like MCR, the bravery, and all the other bands in this trendy pop rock genre.

MTV def doesn't have a very good grip on what good music is, and they haven't for a long time. I'd like to see some bands like Memento, Depswa, or Ra mentioned on tv. I've been listening to Ra for 2 years and their second cd is amazing. actual content with musical ability, unlike most of the successful bands on tv that have zero skill with their instruments.
I'll agree with that. After all, MTV stands for MUSIC Television, but that essential part of MTV is horrible. They show more "reality shows" and whatnot than they do anything related to music, which is disappointing but not surprising. I wish they could embrace better rock such as Demon Hunter, Opeth, and Killswitch Engage, but it will never happen, and I guess I'm thankful for that.

neb

It's hardly suprising that the suggestions about what should be on MTV are not the same. MTV have to choose a safe schedule, as to not alienate much of the demographic. Granted there are still going to be people that are unhappy, but you can't please everyone. right?

Fortunately for MTV there are enough suckers that want to know how many gold taps some Football player has in his garage, so they'll keep pumping out crap (Parallel with NO there :)). It seems loads of people want to know about The Fabulous Life of....

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Musical TraVesty. That's what MTV stands for, you silly kids. MTV ticks me off so bad. Like the liberal news coverage during the hurricane. I'm not blaming politics, I'm blaming the media for distorting everything, which it does do. I mean, Radiohead won a Grammy in '97 and got nominated in '98. For an EP, mind you. Thus, '98 was the last year music media was even anywhere close to legit. MTV has become a regular like, well, I don't even know, but you aren't going to find anything cool on MTV, Fuse, VH1 or anything else. Green Day is not punk rock. I've never heard MCR's music and I don't want to. I don't like punk or emo or hardcore or any of that genre at all. Nobody respects indie for what it is. Not in the big world, at least. And indie kids get mad when an album gets popular enough to get like 10,000+ sales, which makes The Arcade Fire pop, even though it wholly embodies indie sound. Duh. Same goes for The Walkmen, Modest Mouse (well, they are pop), Franz Ferdinand (PAYOLA!), The Shins, Broken Social Scene (Who is legitimately indie and AMAZING) and several hundred other bands, yet if they get enough sales, they're part of the pop hype machine and no longer cool. Any band signed to a major label is accused of selling out (Modest Mouse, Trail of Dead, whatever, the list goes on and on) and the stuck up indie snobs become too cool to listen to them anymore. Well, I listen to what I think sounds good, and if Bloc Party is super popular and it's not cool to listen to them, I don't care. I guess I still have some severely indie bands, like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, Sufjan Stevens and some others, but I only listen to them because I like them, not because of what label they're signed to. By the way, I like Grandaddy's label best, V2, because they have the most of my favorite indie bands. Okay. MTV sucks and is a musical travesty, and I hope my little bold text thing works.

melsmusic

n3tfury said:
hey, the Brits are catching up, no worries.

Sure it's not KFC's fault completely, but back in '64 people were MUCH more active and actually did things outside instead of watching the tube or sitting at the pc all day.

obesity is an epidemic.
Yep starting to be a problem here in OZ too. I don't eat any of this fast food crap anyway, except on holidays when we are away and the fast food joints have taken over and there is nothing else to get. It's full of I don't know what :(

btlaxripper

MTV sucks, Green Day is supposed to be political because they diss America? Give me a break. I read an article which had an interview with the creator of MTV, and he said something about how it's purpose is to grasp a neglected demographic, popularize it, and infuse it with as much advertising as possible (after all, it's there to make money).

(now for the offtopic part)
I stray away from fast food, bite into a McDonald's 1/4 pounder and just watch the grease drip out of it... disgusting

gizmo3x

Pod Person
Website
gizmo3x.textamerica.com
MTV ticks me off so bad.
I agree that MTV totally sucks, but what I don't understand is why everyone gets all crazy over stuff like this! If you don't like it, don't watch it. Its that easy. We all know what kind of music MTV plays and what kind of audience it caters to. MTV is part of a large corporation and exists to make money. That is the bottom line. MTV plays popular music because it is popular and therefore pulls in more viewers. Its a TV station, not some glorified college radio station that can afford to play music a small minority of people find pleasing. As for playing less music, yes thats true but I think it probably draws in alot more of the target audience that MTV is looking for than straight up videos all day would. Once again, personally I don't like the shows on MTV or 95% of the music but I'm not in the group of viewers the MTV caters to either.

Also, people love to talk about the glory days of MTV like the station had some kind of credibility back in the day. I don't recall the early MTV as being an better than it is now. Its not like they were pumping out "indie" videos like crazy or anything... I remember alot of popular crap like Flock of Seagulls and whatnot when it was first on the scene! Sure they played more videos, but its not like it was higher quality music, it was just that a different type of music was popular back then.

And indie kids get mad when an album gets popular enough to get like 10,000+ sales, which makes The Arcade Fire pop, even though it wholly embodies indie sound
Just as an aside here, personally when I think of "indie" music, I think of independant bands that arn't signed to a major label. So technicly I wouldn't view Arcade Fire as indie music either. How I look at it is for example, Nirvana was an alternative indie band before they were signed, and then why they got on a label they were just alternative. I don't think it was bad they were not longer an indie band, it doesn't make any difference to me as long as the music is still good.

Any band signed to a major label is accused of selling out (Modest Mouse, Trail of Dead, whatever, the list goes on and on) and the stuck up indie snobs become too cool to listen to them anymore.
I agree with people who say those kind of bands are no longer indie bands but its crazy that a person would stop listening to a ban d they previously liked just because they got signed and/or have a larger fanbase.

I like them, not because of what label they're signed to.
Yeah, I think thats what I'm trying to say too.. LOL. We just have a different way of getting there!

Anywho, I think what I'm trying to say with this ramble is that people need to stop worrying about how other people like their music and just follow their own tastes. If you don't like MTV, why does it matter to you if others do? It doesn't degrade what you like at all and you don't have to watch it. And if you like bands that indie kids don't respect anymore, what bearing does it have on your opinion? You can still listen to it and the others can find a less known band to suit their tastes. Go with what you like and let others do the same!

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Because MTV is dictating pop music along with Clearchannel and major labels. They aren't just playing it. Audiences are getting dumbed down because the bigwigs think that audiences are dumber than they really are. Same goes for most movies these days. Clever movies are few and far between. Normally I wouldn't care, but this is just out of hand. People are getting screwed into listening to the exact same thing because that's all there is everywhere. Thank you, The OC for having cool music. Thank you, Gilmore Girls, for having characters that like music that's outside of the mainstream. It frusturates me that people don't get much of a choice; people that listen to the radio or watch MTV/VH1 or whatever are told what is good, but don't find out for themselves. People don't know what they really like. I highly doubt that most bands would be as popular as they are today if radio played a true variety of music. I stopped listening to the radio over a year ago. And the over indie kids? Well, that's kind of dumb, but I still respect them anyway, I just think they're idiots.

Indie for me is a sound as well as a definition. There are bands that have that indie sound but are on like, Saturn commercials and stuff, and then there are bands that are strictly indie but don't necessarily have that same vibe musically. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! is going to break the 10,000 sales mark, most likely, but they aren't even signed. Maybe they already have. Does that make them pop music? That's my question. Because they are truly independent, no doubt there. And Nirvana was never indie for me, because they were both popular and their sound was different. It was grunge. It was too far removed from any part of the indie genre to stay part of it once we all heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" too much. But Modest Mouse is still indie for me.

gizmo3x

Pod Person
Website
gizmo3x.textamerica.com
It frusturates me that people don't get much of a choice; people that listen to the radio or watch MTV/VH1 or whatever are told what is good, but don't find out for themselves. People don't know what they really like.
I think you need to have a little more faith in people. I don't think its that people don't know what they really like, its just that not everyone likes the same thing that you and I might enjoy. I don't think people who like MTV or mainstream music are brainwashed into that kind of persuasion or listen to it because it's their only choice. There are alot of people who like popular music not because they are told to but because they enjoy it. I would assume most of the people who frequent these forums are serious music fans. Not everyone is like that. Alot of people arn't huge music fans, they listen to what they like and don't think about it any further. They put on a Destiny's Child CD, get their groove on and have a good time. They enjoy the music and thats what matters. This type of listener has plenty of options to find other kinds of music through lots of sources like streaming internet feeds, satallite radio, free legal downloads, college radio stations, and loads of other options. There are tons of places other than mainstream sources to find music but many choose not to. People arn't forced into listening to the mainstream but alot of them want to.

I think as iPod owners we forget this alot of the time. Not everyone spends hundreds of dollars on a device that will enable them to carry around their favorite bands and songs and at the same time avoid having to listen to mainstream media sources. You have to admit, to alot of people that sounds a little hardcore. My friends and I all are exteremly into music (alot of it obscure) and I wouldn't have it any other way but I also wouldn't look down upon anyone who doesn't hold that same interest.

Indie for me is a sound as well as a definition.
This is a debate that can around and around. I think its a genre that can be defined both ways. There's an old thread floating around on the boards somewhere that is pages long debating this. I think what you would call indie is the sound that I call alternative. I'm not sure why, haha, but I do! Like Modest Mouse you mentioned, I would totally call that alternative, in fact I have it labeled that way in my iTunes... And as for the Nirvana example, I look at the old stuff like the "Bleach" album and the b-sides before that indie and everything after that starting with "Nevermind" alternative (or yeah, grunge would work too!).

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! is going to break the 10,000 sales mark, most likely, but they aren't even signed. Maybe they already have. Does that make them pop music?
I think I might have explained myself badly. All I think of indie music as is a band that is not on a major label. In my crazy little world, if a band sells like 10,000 or a gillion copies or whatever and are still unsigned then they would still be indie. And when a band gets signed they don't automaticly become pop in my mind, their just no longer an indie band. In my mind even a country band could be an indie act. Like if an imaginary country band called "Twangy McGees" was unsigned they'd be an indie country band, but when they got on a label like Geffen or whatever they would just be a country band.

I hope you don't think I'm saying the way you catagorize indie music is wrong, its just different from the way I see it...

Last edited:

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
I don't think you're wrong at all, I just think we disagree and that's cool. I have a lot of friends that only listen to pop and are pretty close-minded about non-pop, but I bust it out to Britney Spears every now and then too. Heck, sometimes I love a great radio hit, and I think Toxic and Since U Been Gone are great songs. I don't know if you are still in high school, but considering nearly every student wants and iPod if he/she doesn't have one (and me and my friends were the first, we were the iPod kids for about the first 3 months of our junior year) is jealous, a lot want the convenience we've all got. I'd still listen to the radio if I didn't hear the same songs every 2 hours. Radio was once my main source for music, before radio went to completely listener-friendly. Supposedley. A station in Vermont, 99.9 the Buzz, played a ton of really great numbers. They played a bunch of obscure compilations (Drugstore and Thom Yorke? Yep.), indie bands when they weren't as big (Elbow, Doves, Interpol, Hot Hot Heat, just a ton of great stuff) and people often voted these bands up quite high on their year-end list (Top 99 of whatever year). I don't know if those lists are still on their site, but if people hear these great songs (PDA is amazing) they'll be able to appreciate what we music geeks are searching for. I actually have a lot of faith in the public, but most don't know where to look. The only reason I do is because of Enjoilax and Ateaseweb.com, where they had a link posted to Pitchforkmedia's review of Radiohead's Com Lag EP. Turns out Pitchfork is a major force in the indie community. But because I'm in high school, I get to see what kids are listening to. And a lot just listen to the radio because they don't know what else is out there. I used to be exactly the same. Kids would be like, "No, I don't listen to the radio." And I'd be like, What? How is that even possible? I didn't know there was music out of the radio, and a lot of kids are like that. And that's fine as long as the radio plays more than a few hundred of the same songs from a core of about 50 bands, sometimes venturing out. I usually have no idea who the latest and greatest is in pop. I'll be talking to a peer and they'll have some annoying song stuck in my head, and she'll sing it to me, and I'll be like, Who? I haven't heard it. But I used to bash kids for their music, but those are days gone by. Now I just bash the sources for music. Major labels, Clearchannel, MTV/VH1. Not the kids themselves.

My question about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! was rhetorical. Like, the hardcore indie community should be answering it, not any one user. Because somebody told me The Arcade Fire was pop, and pop for me is radio play, hit single, that sort of stuff. And I've looked around to see if any station besides that big famous indie station in California (KCRW? Maybe? I dunno, they picked up Radiohead first in America) and college stations have played Rebellion (Lies), but nobody cares about a great song from a great band because of their small label and fear of listeners hating the song. Merge isn't exactly a big label, is it? I figure the big conteders are Universal, Sony BMG (Aren't they one label?), Capitol/EMI, and Warner. I have no idea who is signed to Warner. Matador, V2, Domino, Sub-Pop, those ones, and then the smaller labels. My favorite is signed to Parlaphone/EMI/Captiol, so phooey on me for liking smaller labels, but my favorite is V2. So I guess I'm not really an indie kid if I have a favorite label, but I do. Well, now I'm rambling. Actually, I was just on Wikipedia looking up indie stuff, and that's a pretty good definition for me. I guess I can still be an indie kid. I guess a true indie label would be Sufjan Steven's Asthmatic Kitty. I'm pretty sure that's his label.

gizmo3x

Pod Person
Website
gizmo3x.textamerica.com
Agreeing to disagree is cool in my book! And to anwser to your question, I'm not in high school anymore, I'm a sad twentysomething with no clue how popular iPods with that age group. ;) I seriously doubt they are around here, I'm up in a really rural area... I'd never even seen an iPod in person before I got one (not even at college!)! But that being said, we've got a few sources for more obscure music even though I'm in the sticks. There are a bunch of colleges that are a 45 minute drive from here so you can pick up those stations... and suprisingly you can pick up the nearest alternative station thats 3 hours away on a clear day! haha

I can share your clearchannel annoyance though.. they dominate the radio stations up here too! They bought out the only rock/alternative station we had and turned it into a top 40 station... That was pretty craptastic for me... We only have one other pop station though so I guess most people were pretty happy about it.

Maybe I'm not all anti-MTV because its not really as readily available up here either... You can't get cable TV in my hometown so unless you have a dish, which I do, your not going to see it. And on the dish you have fuse/MTV2/VH1 Classic which is a little better, so at least you have a few choices.

Umm.. I think I'm rambling too... LOL.

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Yeah, MTV2, they had those 2 Dollar Bill shows, right? Well I dunno, I just remember watching Radiohead on one. But I was reading about Clearchannel on Wikipedia, and it's pretty fascinating stuff. It made me hate them more. I want to know what stations they own in my area. Because I write for my school newspaper, and I got lucky enough to write two Op/Ed pieces, so one is about payola and Clearchannel dominating the radio.

Today I was driving my friends home and we were listening to "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, and we were like, "This is a cool song!" Probably because we haven't heard it too much due to radio overplay. Because it is good, but I think if I still listened to radio I'd want to kill it. Instead I'm like, "SINCE YOU BEEN GONE! I CAN'T BREATH FOR THE FIRST TIME! I FORGOT THE WORDS, YAH YAH!" So great.

gizmo3x

Pod Person
Website
gizmo3x.textamerica.com
Yeah, 2 dollar bill was cool... MTV2 used to be mad cool until recently when the changed the format quite a bit. I remember it when it first launched and I saw Sepultura's Ratamhata video followed by Sober by Tool and I my jaw dropped from the coolness... Not like that anymore, but they have been playing the new NIN video like crazy which is awesome!

Haha.. that's hillarious. I feel the same why about hit music now that I have an iPod. Now that I'm inandated with it 24/7 I get a kick out of some it... Bombastic Love by Brittney Spears... freakin hillarious!

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
That NIN video is really cool, but I'm not a hude NIN fan...

I wish The Buzz still played good music :( Now they play some good stuff, but mostly Blink 182 and Simple Plan and stuff.

It's funny though, because I watch a lot of MTV and still despise most of it. But I'm far more knowledgable about music than most people at my school because most of them either don't know who Simple Plan are or don't know who Bob Dylan is. I know both. So, while MTV isn't the best, they still are interesting...