MTV = Musical Injustice

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Capital R

AKA Randall
Website
restinchaos.deviantart.com
So I watched the 2005 MTV VMA's recently, and Greenday cleaned house. I believe they won all 8 awards for which they were nominated. Now, I know that Greenday has been around for a long time and they can be called the only "real" punk band around since they have political tones in their music, but I feel they only won because they are Greenday. Don't get me wrong, I like Greenday, but I mean, their videos for "American Idiot" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" went head-to-head with My Chemical Romance's "Helena", which I thought was a much better song and video. I mean if you just watch the video for it compared to "American Idiot"'s video filled with green slime and "BoBD"'s video with the band walking down a street. you can totally tell that "Helena" is the superior video; and, it is a much better song. My Chemical Romance should have won at least one award. The voters seem to be completely oblivious to good music and such and have been consumed by the mainstream. But this is only one thing MTV has done wrong.

It's ridiculous how MTV has changed from a great channel filled with great music, to a mainstream channel which is pretty much biased against rock music. Sure, they show a couple rock videos, but it's just not the same MTV. When MTV2 came into play, it was supposed to showcase more rock, but like it's original counterpart, it is now infested with anti-rock bias. It's just disappointing to see good music get the boot because of "popular" music.

I know everyone has their opinion of good music, and I respect that. This is just my opinion. They have a couple good shows now and then, but the music part of MTV has been consumed by the mainstream.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I hate MTV, and all that it now stands for. Long live FUSE and VH1.

neb

MTV2 is great, particuarly the Gonzo show with Zane Lowe. They showcase new music and play artisits that no other channel could get away with showing, excet maybe The Amp.

I've watched parts of the VMAs, and the best part about the show is the live performances. Although, after Kanye's Grammy incident, it's clear that the award winners are going to be performing as well; meaning you know who's going to win before it's happened.

Remember that you could be partisan, and not listen to what MTV are saying.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
If you wish to find good music, you will not find it on the radio/TV. Full stop.

Fair enough their are exceptions, but there is so much out there to be found.

Sypher

transmissions94
Website
www.undergroundhiphop.com
<--- Agrees with neb. MTV2 plays good music, mostly.
The same can't really be said for MTV Base sadly.. although I once remember them doing a top 50 conscious hip hop songs or something like that.. I was in shock.

neb

I thought MTV own VH1? They're bundled together in the way that they show the same programs, like Cribs and the VMAs. You can access VH1 interactive whilst on an MTV channel...

Maxman

Don't Call Me Fat, Jon...
Quoted from Lewis Black-- "MTV is to music as KFC is to chicken". I always love that quote. As far as MTV 2 I used to watch it when I liked that kind of music.

n3tfury

????? ???
MTV was synonymous with music. now they're synonymous with everything but.

Maxman said:
As far as MTV 2 I used to watch it when I liked that kind of music.
..and what kind of music would that be?

WanderingSoul

This thread reeks of irony. My Chemical Romance not mainstream? Are you kidding me? They purposely sold out to become mainstream. They didn't even beat around the bush, they told everyone they would do everything possible to become popular. They toured with The Used, how is that not popular/mainstream?

And Green Day being the only "real" punk band? Again, time to turn off the TV. Green Day is far from a real punk band.

Capital R

AKA Randall
Website
restinchaos.deviantart.com
WanderingSoul said:
This thread reeks of irony. My Chemical Romance not mainstream? Are you kidding me? They purposely sold out to become mainstream. They didn't even beat around the bush, they told everyone they would do everything possible to become popular. They toured with The Used, how is that not popular/mainstream?

And Green Day being the only "real" punk band? Again, time to turn off the TV. Green Day is far from a real punk band.
Good points. I suppose I didn't articulate my thoughts well enough. Those statements were relative to everything mainstream, so MCR definitely couldn't be considered as mainstream as GreenDay. I think that because at my High School (since HS students and people around that age group make up most of the MTV/Mainstream Fan Base) many many people haven't heard of MCR, but have at least a couple songs by Greenday in their collection. Yes, MCR is selling out to become mainstream, but I don't know that they could achieve that with other, bigger sell out groups out there such as Greenday.

And that "Greenday = only "real" punk band statment is in relation to how the "real" punk ideal was: rebellion and such against government and policy. "Real" punk is almost dead/has died, and in its place are bands like Blink-182.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
A few things.

1. What's wrong with KFC?

2. ginalee, is supraliminal really a word?

3. I'd rather have MCR be popular than have rap be popular. I <3 Rock!

4. Green Day is indeed more punk than Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, etc. Sadly, GD have become far less punk than they used to be, probably because of the temptation of radio play following Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life).

5. MTV and VH1 are indeed owned by the same company. That company is Viacom which also owns CBS, UPN, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, Spike TV, CMT (Country Music Television), TV Land, BET, Showtime, Logo, The Sundance Channel, and all branches of those (i.e. MTV2, Nick at Nite, Noggin...).
They also own Simon And Schuster (book publisher), Paramount Studios (Which currently brings us such instant classics as 50 Cent's Get Rich Or Die Trying), Infinity Broadcasting (radio company which owns 178 stations in the US and holds exclusive rights to various sports franchises includng the New York Yankees), Famous Music (owner of copyrights to music of The Godfather, Forrest Gump, and Titanic, as well as artists such as Eminem, Modest Mouse, Jet, Bjork and Duke Ellington.)

I'm finished now.

WhereEaglesDare

I remember when MTV was pretty much all rock, and had many "controversial" videos, and it was a place to go, to watch new music videos, and find new music... Nowadays, MTV is filled with pop, r+b, and hip-hop. Like Capital R said, everyone has their own taste in music, but they don't do a good job with variety... And, MTV barely shows music videos anymore, except for late at night, TRL, or their hip-hop shoes, it's just reality shows, documentaries, "comedy shows", etc... Sadly, my cable company only currently offers MTV and VH1, but when we switch to Dish TV or Direct TV, Fuse will be my main source of music videos, at least they play some good bands...

WanderingSoul

Capital R said:
Those statements were relative to everything mainstream, so MCR definitely couldn't be considered as mainstream as GreenDay. I think that because at my High School (since HS students and people around that age group make up most of the MTV/Mainstream Fan Base) many many people haven't heard of MCR
Actually, MTV mainstream is mostly middle school/early high school. By late high school, or about the age of 18/19, most kids, specifically girls, grow out of their "teen bopper" phase and start listening to real music.

Here's an example from an article on MTV.com:
http://www.mtv.com/bands/b/boy_bands/050207/
"The new boy bands are more likely to resemble Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance, Sum 41, Simple Plan or Dashboard Confessional, with a bigger emphasis on originality and realness than matching threads and hot dance moves"

Though they aren't mainstream by your standards, they are to a bunch of 16 year olds who consider them punk and who have probably never heard of Green Day.

Of course, I find the whole "originality and realness" part of that quote laughable for most of the bands in that quote.

iMacc

'' Mr 10 Posts A Day ''
Website
www.last.fm
papayaninja said:
2. ginalee, is supraliminal really a word?

Apparently so:

Supraliminal
Function: adjective
1 : existing above the threshold of consciousness
2 : adequate to evoke a response or induce a sensation <a supraliminal stimulus>

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
Okay, America is fat. I'm fat, I'll admit it. I weigh about 230 lbs. I'm 6' 5" tall. So I'm fat, perhaps even obese, and I haven't been to KFC in probably 3-4 years. My being fat is not KFC's fault, it's mine. According to KFC.com, there were 600 franchised KFCs in 1964. We weren't all fat then. In addition, KFC is available in "more than 80 countries and territories". People in those 80 countries and territories aren't all fat are they?

Congrats on a thousand posts, n3tfury.