Moving iTunes to laptop using software

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

babeba67

Ok so i have an old Vista desktop (I know it's way outdated) with 11,000 songs in iTunes and i need to move them to a new laptop with Windows 10. The sticky on this forum seems to be outdated, so I'm hoping for a newer version of how to move.

I will not be using the Vista machine again and want all files from iTunes on the new laptop. I see that there is a product called zinstall that claims to move all files including iTunes, but don't know if i trust it. Need recommendations or to point me to a tutorial on this forum or elsewhere, on the best way to get all my music (no videos) to the new machine.

Thanks in advance

cjmnews

Staff member
Assuming that ALL of your music is inside the iTunes folder structure, all you need to do is:
1. Backup the entire iTunes folder on the Vista Desktop (found in the Music folder typically)
2. Install iTunes on new laptop
3. Restore the iTunes folder on top of the existing iTunes folder overwriting all files
4. Open iTunes (old tracks should be visible)
5. Play a track (if the username is the same across the two systems, it should play. If the user names are different, it may ask you to locate the track, click on Locate, navigate to where the track is [C:\Users\<username>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<trackname>.<ext> if you have an old library \iTunes Media\Music may just be \iTunes Music] then select the track. If iTunes asks if you want to link all the music with this structure answer Yes. The track should play)

If you have questions let me know.

babeba67

Thanks for the help. In step 3 you mention, Restore the iTunes folder on top of the existing iTunes folder overwriting all files. Does that mean the saved (old)version will overwrite the existing (being the new one on the new machine) or the other way around?

Thanks,
BB

cjmnews

Staff member
The old one will overwrite the new one (just created by the installation of iTunes so it is basically empty).