Moving from windows to Mac

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hoopythemuggish

Has anyone transferred itunes library from windows to new music app on mac and retained all metadata, ratings and playlists? Every time I’ve done it on windows it fills me with fear. I was going to get the Apple store to do it but obviously that’s not possible at the moment and I’ve seen a deal elsewhere where I’d get a 25% discount but would have to perform the migration myself

cjmnews

Staff member
It should be the same as with the old iTunes on Mac.

Why didn't you try what I documented for you last year? That should work.
My Mac upgraded from iTunes to Music with Catalina and it seems to be fine. Granted I have not done the migration, as space is limited on a Mac.

Worst case is you delete your iTunes and Music folders under Music and try again.

hoopythemuggish

Thanks for the reply. Again. I forgot I'd posted last year..... I still haven't purchased the mac as the great deal that's valid for this weekend only has just been pulled which gives me time to tidy up my library being anal and all that...

I appreciate the responses but I just want to be sure the migration does work properly before making the purchase. Just one question - would doing the transfer over a network be the easiest way to perform the migration rather than splashing out on a cable from USB B to USB C for a one time use and I presume it would take a long time to transfer a 300GB library over the air?

Thanks again

cjmnews

Staff member
The 300 GB could take a long time depending on the speed of your network and what else is happening on it. If you have Wireless N, probably 8-10 hours. Wired Gigabit 1-2 hours.

I did the transfer of my library with no Music files. The playlists did come over in folders as expected. So there should be no problems.