Most Played Bands + Artist Under Different Names

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

k611

Does anyone know of a script that makes a list of your most played bands, basically adding up the number of playcounts of all of a bands songs? Maybe it could have average playcount per song for a band or something.

Another thing, I'm trying to find a script that would alow me to tell iTunes or my iPod that specific songs should be displayed uder both artists (i.e. "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie would be listed under both Bowie and Queen in my iPod.

If anyone has any info on where I could find a script like this, or how I might go about making one, please respond.

deeg

hi,

firstly the same song under one or more artists... i dont think its possible in itunes unless you have multiple copies of the song.. itunes uses tags to sort out which track belongs to which artist and having more than one name in the field just makes a new artist whose name is the contatenation of all the info..

re the played count summation .. this would be easy to write but what would you want to do with the info at the end of the process and how would you like the script to check.. for example would you list all the tracks via browse before running or would you want the script to search for the tracks of say the artist of the current track ? once we have the info would you want it to write it to comments of each track or somewhere else ? how often would you want it to run.. manually or constantly checking the current track ?

if you can flesh out your request i would be happy to talk you through writing it, applescript is a very easy language to use since its mostly plain english or very close...

k611

Well I tend to use my top 25 playlist as more of a stat, as oppossed to a playlist, and I've always wanted to see which artist's songs I play the most often.

The basic idea of what I'd like for the program to do is to have a list of artists who's total sum of playcounts is the highest, and that number in the playcount column. So it would look like this:
1. Led Zeppelin - 483
2. Clash - 436
3. Beatles - 381
4. U2 - 251
5. Rage Against the Machine - 219 etc.

Then, if possible, I'd like to be able to double-click on the artist name to display only songs by that artist.

I don't know a lot about apple script, but I'm a stat freak, so I'm willing to learn to make this.

deeg

ok... just thinking here...

it would be possible to create a simple list of all the artists and their tracks played count by scanning your library but this would take some time and there is a limit on the total number of entries in a list that applescript is happy to play with before problems can occur...

perhaps a better approach would be to read the xml version of the library file since this would be quicker and get the info that way... we could write the results out to either a text file or a spreadsheet from which you then select artists and gather more info again...

do you have FMP by anychance ? there is a script available on doug's site at www.malcolmadams.com/itunes which populates a fmp database with info from itunes.. you might care to check this out since it may already collate the required infomation for you.. no point in re-inventing the wheel :)