MoodLogic?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Thesorus

looks nice, will try it at home later today ...

I installed it at work, on Win2K, installed as normal user, but will not run as simple user ? it needs me to be administrator to run... and I don't have administrator privileges at work .

Max.

homicat

meow
its name can tell us that.
Mood + Logic.

I used it, good but not a big enough online database for my files.

Basically, it searches your hard drive for all mp3s. After that, it "activates them" which means it adds them to its library and fixes tags (in its database) and then you can go. You can select a certain genre or mp3 file and get a whole playlist of just that type of music. You can change the parameters to a broad spectrum of that genre or just a small part of it. Like, if i selected an acid jazz file it could make a playlist of all jazz files or just acid jazz.
Also, it can read and write files to the iPod and MANY other mp3 players. I'm not sure about aac support, but i doubt it has it.
Pretty good software, and it works seamlessly with winamp. But, i dont need something that intricite for my mp3s.
Plus, if you have more than 100 mp3s, the activation process is painfully slow.

hype

I've heard that they don't have that many songs on their database, and sometimes they tag them wrong. Its a cool idea nonetheless though.

IDSmoker

You can read a review of MoodLogic 2.0 here: CNet Review

Has anyone used it recently? Has the quality/quantity of the information in their database improved?

Sam Williams

I own both Moodlogic and its iPod compatibility add-on, Devicelink. I agree that it's a great idea to profile songs based on pooled psychoacoustic data, and it does have some great benefits: you can genuinely select a mood, or combination of moods (for example, Upbeat and Romantic) and ML will compile you a great playlist of your songs fitting that description.

However:
1) The database is still -far- too small. I have fairly mainstream tastes, but 45% of my tracks are not recognised.
2) The psychoacoustic profiling system is very accurate, but the ID3 tags are -not-. I once left it to "correct" a couple of hundred tags automatically, and came back to find about half totally wrong (i.e. wrong song and wrong artist).
3) You get the impression, dealing with the Moodlogic people, that they're Ideas People; they're just slightly flaky on the robustness of their system. The stability of the software itself is -poor-.

As a result, I still open Moodlogic occasionally, but it's little more than a "curiosity" app in my setup. I stick to more reliable apps to get my serious music organising done. Don't get me wrong - it's a fantastic idea, which is why I was excited enough to buy it; but I think they needed to be on v3 by now. There seems to have been a loss of momentum with development. I wouldn't buy it again.

Last edited:

bordeaaj

I also bought MoodLogic recently and I use it with both ephPod and MusicMatch 8. I have about 1200 songs on my ipod and MoodLogic organized them by mood, tempo, and genre combinations extremely quickly and accurately (once they were activated). You can also do instant mixes by artist and mood and transfer the playlists to the ipod in moments. I use MusicMatch to supertag and ephPod to sync my music folders. MoodLogic looks and feels like an extension of ephPod and is very easy to use. It is true that first time profiling or "activation" is slow (I can't imagine using it without broadband) but subsequent activations are very quick. The complaints that the MoodLogic database is too small are also true to an extent. They have a huge library of profiled songs but they all are compiled from users so you are dependent on their weird libraries. It only recognized about half of my 1200 songs at first but now is up to about 3/4 recognition about a month later as I reactivate every now and then. Since it depends on users to enter the mood profiles it is unpredictable as to what songs it will recognize. It seems to recognize mainstream radio music best but also profiled a lot of my offbeat stuff too. A lot of extremely popular songs were not recognized at all. The good news is that you can profile most of the leftover songs by hand (time consuming but thought-provoking procedure) and they will then become mixable. It's tagging is also dependent on users so can be unpredictable, I would recommend not using MoodLogics autotagging feature if you are particular about your tags. Anyway, I was very excited when I first found it. It did such good job on the 50 song sample activation I bought it and the devicelink very quickly for $39. Then I was extremely disappointed in the low profiling ratio until I started mixing the songs. It is not perfect but I can honestly say it changed the way I listen to music on my ipod for the better...and I mean way better. I love what it can do. The only problem I now have is that once my music is mixed on the ipod I rarely need MoodLogic again unless I wipe my ipod or add a few more songs. The instant mixing would be awesome if I listened to music on a desktop with great sound system a lot but that is something I don't do. Overall I have mixed feelings about MoodLogic. As imperfect as it is I give MoodLogic itself two thumbs up. I love what it has done for my ipod music listening and the product will just keep getting better. The price is the only hesitation. I would say it is just worth the $39 if you have a large library and really, really like listening to your music. Hope this helps!

px2so

I used to use Moodlogic Winamp skin. Really good Mac OS X skin.

To keep it on topic, it was created by the guys at Moodlogic.

stasyna

PeacePod
I dislike this program... Alot! it takes ages to scan all files on my hdd, and its not even that good.

Choop

Website
home.attbi.com
I bought moodlogic to use with my previous mp3 player (the piece of crap Rio Riot) and let me tell you it sucks emensely. It totaly screwed up all my mp3's and I had to go through and re-tag roughly 1600 of them. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!! IT SUCKS!!