MM vs itunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bukzin

Like a good newbie I loaded the CD that came
with my new 40g and got Music Match.
Been reading this forum and seems like maybe
I should download itunes for XP.
Good idea? Where should I get it?

Do I need to uninstall MM first?
(haven't used anything yet, waiting for
my Firewire/PCI card to come!)

Thanks
Bukzin

Rankinfile

Website
www.ufostoday.com
In my experience, Music Match likes to take over your computer and causes conflicts with any other audio program you like to run. I would certainly favor iTunes over MM but that's just my personal opinion. Here's the link for the iTunes download:

iTunes download

Try it, you'll like it!

SouthsideIrish

Try it, and you may like it. iTunes takes control of you file structure and makes it impossible for you to use your files with any other program, so in MHO it isn't any better than MMJB.

I'd love to be using AAC right now, but it's #### near impossible to me to do it, and not worth the hassle.

Bill McNair

Jrbmoran

southside- why can't you convert to aac? what should i look out for?

buzkin- did you find out anything about uninstalling MM? are you sure your ipod will work with windows itunes?

forgive my naive paranoia

bluntman

Former Zen Master
I'm sticking to MMJB. I didn't like how iTunes hijacked my system and didn't allow me to sync MMJB and my iPod after I had even after removing iTunes.

I also had some issues ripping CDs into AAC, for some reason everything would seem fine while ripping but while playing them back I would get some "digital sounding distortion" playing over the track. Reripping would solve the problem but that meant removing the tracks from the library and then from my iPod and then reripping.

revmike

Website
www.
I was a MM user, but switched to itunes for the aac format. I dropped MM like a hot rock. The only problem I had with itunes was a tag one that was caused by using MM. Using ephpod to transfer did not pick up the errors, but itunes did. Once they were corrected, no problems.

SouthsideIrish

I can play AAC files within iTunes just fine, but a lot of my music has Japanese characters and they won't play in QT outside of iTunes. I'm not sure why this happens but it looks to me like iTunes and QT are integrated enough that QT never sees the Japanese characters. If I try to play them in QT they return an error message, and MC9 sees them, but with a duration of zero.

Bill McNair

StrangeRanger

Website
www.grazethepavement.net
I switched from MM to iTunes b/c I did not like MM at all. Thot its interface was absolutely horrible and it was to slow. iTunes on the other hand was very easy to set up and use. LOVE the AAC format too. My only beef w/ iTunes was solved very quickly by downloading podUtil (sorry, too lazy to link it). Lovin' iTunes, so glad to be done w/ MM.
j

Optimus_P

i use MMJB on my home pc to push music to my ipod.
then i use iTunes @ on my work pc to listen to music from my ipod.

why? i think MMJB has a better libary function then iTunes.
I dont really push music to my ipod from work, and i dont like the way MMJB is used to play music from the iPOD.

wish winamp had an ipod plug in.

but iTunes does everything just like i had my headphones pluged into the ipod itself, except i have a larger screen area to work with.

ashawley

Website
www.
Optimus_P:

I wouldn't do what you're doing if I where you. Are you saying that the iPod is mounted when you're listening to it all day? If so, check the little spinning icon in the upper left-hand corner. It'll pop up every few seconds or so...

That the HDD being accessed constantly by Windows. Something that will just wear out your iPod sooner. It's not meant to be used that way....

Adam

Yus

Website
www.ninjadisco.com
ashawley, how is playing songs on your iPod via your computer any different than playing songs directly from your iPod?

ashawley

Website
www.
Very. If the iPod is mounted to the PC (meaning you've go it connected) then Windows will access the iPod's drive every second or so.

You can see this when you connect your iPod. A little spinning icon will appear every second in the upper left corner. While you're writing data to the iPod it will be constantly spinning.

When you're just listening to music w/o the iPod connected to a PC, the iPod's HDD spins up, loads 32MB of tunes, and then spins down.

The other way, it's constantly spinning all day long. Not good for such a tiny drive.

Adam