• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

MKV files to iPod Touch (1280x720 vs 1280x544)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dvuberip

Hi everyone,

I have some MKV files I am trying to convert to iPod touch files, sized around 700-900MB. I am using the iPhone/iPod Touch version of MediaCoder. For the files that have a resolution of 1280x720, everyhting looks fine. I didn't mess with any settings at all. However, when I try to convert a 1280x544 file, the video on the iPod touch looks smushed together (ie. looks like it was condensed to fit). Any suggestions on how I would fix this?

Thanks!

P.S. I am also open to other programs. The main thing is I want these 4GB files to be under 1GB.

Thanks!

bizzyjb

Can I ask you why you're encoding the videos to such a high resolution? You know the touch can't display anything higher than 480x320 right? And then if you wanted to do TV out, the touch can still only do a max of 640x480.

The main thing is keeping the right aspect ratio.

1280x720 is 16:9, or 1.77
1280x544 is 2.35:1, also called anamorphic

Anamorphic has a "squeezed" picture, so if you were to convert something that was anamorphic into a new file that is not the same ratio...it's going to look jacked up.

After reading your message again it's unclear if you're trying to put these on there in that resolution or not.

But just as a guideline, if you were converting a 1280x720 video for an ipod touch, you'd want it to be either 480x270, or 640x360

Converting one that was 1280x544, you'd want it to be either 480x204 or 640x272

Hope this helps.

dvdcatalyst

Banned
Website
www.dvdcatalyst.com
Most likely MediaCoder resizes the video to a resolution that the selected device (ipod touch) supports. However, Most programs use default resolutions, and scale videos acordingly, rather than looking at the actual aspect ratio

Find a program that actually looks at the resolution and resizes the video accordingly.