Missing tracks, yet files exist -- a theory

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Website
dougscripts.com
A seemingly persistent problem for iTuners is when tracks suddenly appear as missing -- with the (!) designation -- and yet the files for the tracks are intact.

In my own case I have been noticing that this happens most frequently in live-updating Smart Playlists (although it does happen in regular playlists occasionally) and almost always with files that were not ripped with iTunes. These include:

- files that I ripped ages ago (pre-iTunes) under OS 9 with SoundJam , Audion, or Macast
- files I ripped recently with QuickTime, Amadeus, et al
- files I obtained by surreptitious means (p2p)
- files I ripped on a Windows box, burned to CD, copied to my Mac

These files will, of course, have icons representing their "creator"; in the case of Windows-ripped files the icons are QuickTime.

In light of this observation, I have Get Info'd representative non-iTunes files (a QuickTime mp3, an Audion mp3, a SoundJam mp3, etc), and set Open With to "iTunes" and clicked "change all". I await fruitful results, fully aware that the problem may lie elsewhere.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone else with a similar problem -- I know yer out there -- can confirm the "non-iTunes-ness" of a majority of AWOL tracks. Thanks!

CrazyDoc

Hi Doug,

I am having the same problem with my iTunes library. I also posted this problem at the Apple Support Forum, and it seems that lots of people are having the same problem.

There are many theories about what this happen. Unfortunately, none really explains what the problem is and how to fix it.

I recently decided to put all my CD collection on my mac... I used iTunes 4.0 for the majority and 4.0.1 with the lastest CDs I bought. I also imported some of the old MP3s I had ripped with previous version of iTunes, windows etc.

When I look at the "get info", the "missing" tunes are encoded with all sort of programs (iTunes 4.01, 4.0, previous versions, windows, etc...). Not only MP3s are "missing", but also AAC.

I don't have many smart playlists and the tunes that are "missing", they are not necessarily in a playlist...

I understand that there may be different reasons why a tune goes "missing", but I have not find an theory that would explain my missing tunes.

Just hope Apple fix this soon, really soon!

Cheers

Rafael

ps. Great iTunes script page you have!

Website
dougscripts.com
Default Application

Thanks for the info, CrazyDoc. Yes, I've seen many posts on this.

Do you happen to know what the "default application" of any of your AWOL files are? After re-setting a few problem files to "open using" iTunes, they have settled down and are behaving--so far.

CrazyDoc

Hi Doug,

Since I ripped most of my files using iTunes, iTunes is set to be the "default application" for all of them. The MP3 files that I ripped with other software, they were on a CD and when I imported with iTunes (I dragged the files from the CD to the iTunes window) the "default application" was also set to iTunes. I will keep my eyes open to try to find anything that might indicate why some files are more prone to "disappear" than others...

I can't remember if I had this same problem before I used my iPod... I read conflicting reports about iPod, transfering files automatically x manually and the missing songs.

I hope this thread can bring us some light in this problem.

cheers

CrazyDoc

swanksalot

Website
www.b12partners.net
missing tracks, solution

I had this problem quite frequently in the past, and while some of the tracks missing were in fact ripped with soundJam pro or taken from various and sundry p2p programs, at least half were itunes files. However, these missing files were all stored on a separate partition or on an external firewire drive.

The single action that solved this problem for me (based on advice at the apple support forum: long, long discussion back in the spring of 2003) was to run 'repair permissions' on a regular basis. In fact, I now have disk utility as a 'log-in' item. And since then (knock on wood-based product) I have not had this problem for a long time.

hope this helps

Seth Anderson
"Those who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the person doing it." -- Chinese Proverb

kimhill

Website
twitter.com
I've had the missing songs problem on and off. Virtually all my files (6,000) were ripped with iTunes, so at least in my case, the "non-iTunes-ness" of AWOL tracks does not seem to be a factor.

The weirder thing is that the problem seems to come & go. There was a while when I saw the "!" constantly- then not at all for a while- now I see it occasionally.

deeg

will keep an eye out but thankfully its not a problem thats occured for me very much yet...

while people are on the look out perhaps they'd like to check for the temp library files popping up at the same time..would be interesting to see if the two issues are linked..

hey doug.. did you suffer from the power loss at all ? :D