Missing Songs After Transfer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylo4

I use a Mac, and have four iPods, but this year I'm so disappointed with what they've come out with that I will be buying a Zune to replace my two years old 80GB 5'th gen. I already put all my music onto the PC in the house which was no easy task since I use an external drive that is formatted to NTFS.

The only major problem being that I have 16,991 songs and yet only 16,225 transferred, and all I did was copy and paste the entire iTunes folder as it was off the external HD into the Zune software. If anyone could help me out with this, it would make me feel a lot better about losing so much in this switch.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Depending on your iTunes settings, perhaps some of the songs were not actually in the iTunes folder. Can you confirm the number that were the iTunes folder after you copied.

If you copied from your mac to the NTFS drive, Macs supposedly can have issues writing to NTFS I hear, perhaps that has something to do with it.

If this was going on while the drive was attached to the mac, was there ever a time you imported songs to iTunes when the drive wasn't active, that may explain some missing songs. Check the local mac iTunes folder.

kylo4

Thanks for the help Stu. What happened is I've been using this external drive for about half a year with the Mac for iTunes. All of the music is on there, fine, functional and syncing to the iPod (all 16,991 songs). The problem is that when I moved it over to the PC and copied and pasted the entire 90GB folder of iTunes (the only one on the drive with all the album subfolders etc) off the external HD and onto the PC and had the Zune software take that into itself, only 16,225 songs went into its software. I guess this would be more of a Zune software question but it's the entire iTunes folder so it's kind of strange to me why it's doing that. Everything should be there. Is there some other folder (since there is literally 1200 albums in there so 1200 subfolders) to see where these songs went?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
So you confirmed that all 16,991 songs are actually in that iTunes folder on the external drive? There would be some conditions that would perhaps lead a song or 100 being added to the default iTunes folder location on your home hard drive if the external was unavailable during an add.

Ah, just hit me.

You don't have any DRM'd iTMS tracks do you? Zune software won't read those at all.

kylo4

studogvetmed said:
So you confirmed that all 16,991 songs are actually in that iTunes folder on the external drive? There would be some conditions that would perhaps lead a song or 100 being added to the default iTunes folder location on your home hard drive if the external was unavailable during an add.

Ah, just hit me.

You don't have any DRM'd iTMS tracks do you? Zune software won't read those at all.
You're right. I just checked and there's some songs on my Mac's folder. It seems that it changed the location to there for some reason. I can't be certain if there's 700 songs in it but I'll add them and see. Thanks, I wouldn't of checked if you didn't mention it since I was sure everything was being added to the Mac external HD (btw, freed up 4.5GB on this tiny 60GB Macbook drive).

Last edited:

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Note that I said in my very first post:

If this was going on while the drive was attached to the mac, was there ever a time you imported songs to iTunes when the drive wasn't active, that may explain some missing songs. Check the local mac iTunes folder.
:D whenever iTunes starts up without knowing that the external drive is there it defaults temporarily to the "default default" as I say, until the drive is mounted and iTunes is restarted.

Also check for any fairplay iTMS songs, The Zune Software will not have added any of these to it's library as the fairplay DRM is incompatible with anything but iTunes.

Cheers.

kylo4

I just found it weird because I never rip or add any music when the drive is connected without first going to preferences and seeing where it's going. I do this every single time, which is why I didn't figure to check the Mac's folder.

kylo4

Now there's a new problem. For some reason today, a whole bunch of albums (at least 50) say "Original File cannot be located" after I had opened iTunes before I turned on the external HD and it was located. I switched the location check back to it and every single file/album it wants is where it's located. Surprisngly, I have duplicates of these on a separate part of the external HD nowhere near the iTunes folder and the same albums missing are these ones. It's very annoying to right click every single songs out of 50 albums and locate it, is there any way to make this shorter? Everything else is detected, nothing has been moved, it's been the same since I ripped the items.

kylo4

Okay, what I've been doing is deleting the albums and re-adding them, but something surprising happened, albums that were not in that list are also missing but there. They also don't have the exclamation mark next to them which means that any song or album could be missing and I don't know. Everything is on the External HD in that spot that iTunes points to, most other albums I try work, and I'm worried when I hook up my iPod all those songs will be removed. I need help on this quick.