Misconceptions About "Live Updating"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ashawley

Website
www.
Just wanted to clear up something about what Live Updating does in Smartlists.

Per Apple's help guide:

To have iTunes continually modify your Smart Playlist as songs are added to or removed from your library, make sure "Live updating" is selected.

So, what whis means is as you add tunes to the iTunes library the tunes will be added to the smartlist if they meet the criteria.

Seems pretty basic to me, but I think folks have been assuming this means the list will be updated dynamically on the iPod if you check this. Not true. That will happen regardless.

Why this is even an option is beyond me--would you ever want this off? :rolleyes:

Adam

Macavity

Lone Star in MD
ashawley said:
Why this is even an option is beyond me--would you ever want this off? :rolleyes:

Adam
Having this option turned off does allow you to create point-in-time playlists...not that you'd want to.... :)

Mac

MikeM

Administrator
I use that check box quite a bit. I have a smartlist for unranked songs. When I get a bunch in there, I play it and start ranking them. But since I like to decide on a ranking in the middle of a song, I don't want it to stop when I do rank it. So, I turn it off until I'm done, then switch it back on.

Basically, its handy for collecting songs based on whatever criteria and then allowing you to edit them without immediately losing them from the list.

I could do without it, but I'm glad its there.

Macavity

Lone Star in MD
MikeM said:
I use that check box quite a bit. I have a smartlist for unranked songs. When I get a bunch in there, I play it and start ranking them. But since I like to decide on a ranking in the middle of a song, I don't want it to stop when I do rank it. So, I turn it off until I'm done, then switch it back on.

Basically, its handy for collecting songs based on whatever criteria and then allowing you to edit them without immediately losing them from the list.

I could do without it, but I'm glad its there.
I've never had a song stop in the middle when I rated it. Does this happen to you on the iPod, or in iTunes?

I do 99% of my rating on the iPod.

huggies

Website
www.dumbplaylists.com
ashawley said:

Seems pretty basic to me, but I think folks have been assuming this means the list will be updated dynamically on the iPod if you check this. Not true. That will happen regardless.

Adam
Ok, Adam, I've seen you say this a few times now, and I'm getting confused. Do you mean that my "Recently Played" smartlist that was synced from iTunes to ipod should update on the ipod automatically as I play songs (without re-syncing to iTunes)??

This doesn't seem to be happening for me. I have a 2nd gen ipod though, does this only work for 3G?

ashawley

Website
www.
huggies:

Yeah, that's what I mean. The term we've coined here for that is Dynamic Playlists. They update on the iPod w/o the need for a sync. A 3rd Gen feature only--I gather. Haven't tried it on my wife's 2nd gen and I don't use iTunes anymore. ;)

MikeM:

I don't get how turning off Live Updating changes anything for you in that situation. The only effect it would have on the smartlist is it wouldn't add new tunes to the list that you've added to your iTunes library. So--I'm lost as to how that helps you rate. Just wonderin'.

Adam

Sam Williams

I don't get how turning off Live Updating changes anything for you in that situation. The only effect it would have on the smartlist is it wouldn't add new tunes to the list that you've added to your iTunes library. So--I'm lost as to how that helps you rate. Just wonderin'.
I use the Smart Playlists for the same sort of thing - I have one called '0-Star Tracks' containing only unrated songs. With Live Updating enabled, songs vanish from the Unrated list as soon as you rate them. That's ok in one sense, but if you happen to be listening to the song you're rating, playback will stop when it disappears from the playlist.

I've been doing just this without realising that Live Updating could be switched on and off - thanks MikeM, that's really handy for me!

MarkY1

Something odd I just noticed about the Smart Playlist feature. I have a Smart Playlist called Live Performance. I add "Live Performance" to the comments section of any live song and then have the playlist set to live update. I noticed today that the iTunes playlist had something like 131 songs but fewer were on the corresponding iPod playlist. I thought the iPod would get updated with the information in iTunes when I sync. After reading this thread, I unchecked the Live Update option in iTunes, synced again, and then the iPod had the updated lists.

Do you think this is a bug in iTunes? Why wouldn't the iPod get updated information from iTunes. The Smart Playlist functions as it should when Live Updating is checked as far as adding new songs to the iTunes side that meet the specified criteria , it just doesn't sync that updated info to the iPod. It's going to be a pain to keep checking and unchecking that box on all my Smart Playlists.

Any thoughts?

MarlboroMan

It's probably that your iPod doesn't check for changes in the comments when syncing files (Not sure if these are ID3 or the iTunes DB they're stored in). The iPod doesn't view the files as changed, and doesn't grab the new comment.