Middle Eastern/Persian/Iranian Music

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

catpodder

I know absolutely nothing about Middle Eastern music, but I'd like a good, basic CD. I don't want Arab pop music - more of the classic stuff. This is completely corny - but - at the beginning of The #####cat Dolls song "Buttons" they play sort of the music I'm looking for. Anyone have any recommendations? I've poked around Amazon, but not all of their CD's have the ability to hear before you buy. I did just buy "Music of the Arabian Nights" which is pretty good. I also have the soundtrack to The English Patient, and I love the Middle Eastern music on there as well.

antiditz

I'm not familiar with the #####cat Dolls song you mention, or the albums, so I may not have the right idea. Not sure if this would count as the sound you're looking for, but have you checked out rai music? I kept hearing reports this week about Cheikha Rimitti, who died a few days ago. Apparently, she was a pioneer in this type of music - the snippets I heard on the news reports may be what you're going for.

catpodder

Thanks, I'll check it out. I did find some CD's at our library like - "Silk Road Journeys - When Strangers Meet" and some Ravi Shankar CD's.

StevieBoWillie

I would suggest searching NPR.org 's website. Search there for "iranian, music" and you will a get at least a couple of hits.

Blue Pie

Faramarz Aslani Australian Tour

Persian songwriter and guitarist Faramarz Aslani is coming to Australia! His tour begins next week and he is performing in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. For more information, visit his website.