• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Microsoft "Surfaces"....

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylo4

That thing looks like its from Minority Report.

It seems as if Gates ripped off Apple once again. Jobs should sue for copying his iPhone idea with the "squeeze picture and it gets smaller." He's also copying Jobs...well sort of...he's leaving.

My question is, are they going to make this thing into a keyboard that is as thin as a piece of paper and you type on that with letters being there, and a touchscreen computer or what?

kylo4

I watched those videos from the link you gave and that really is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I'm as impressed or more so with that than the iPhone. That is definitely revolutionary and it seems so far ahead of its time. We're in the 2000's baby!

kylo4

Check out trailers 2 and 3 on the official site here: www.microsoft.com/surface/
I can't believe I am seeing this. After I watched those videos I was shocked at how far we've come. It is coming out in Winter 2007 at a price range between $5000-$10,000. In a few years after that it will go down. I personally thought it would cost more.

You might hate me for saying this but: iPhone what?

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
It will be too expensive and will initially offer a downgrade of usability compared to current interfaces. That's the reality of it.

I'm all for changing the way we interface with the computer, instead of 25 year old methods - as long as it's 'better'. Don't care about who it is or who they're copying.

kornchild2002

I think LukeA is missing a plug-in to view the videos, hence he is cussing out MSN.

As for the table, I don't see how it copies Apple (was that a premature statement?). Sure, the iPhone uses a multi touch input screen and so does the table. Nintendo filed for a multi touch input for their next portable. Does that mean they ripped off Apple? No. Companies have been going after multi touch inputs for a ling time now.

I think this product is pretty damned amazing. It is actually pretty simply when you come to think about it. The screen is the most advanced piece of technology in that table. Everything else consists of RFID scanners, 5MP digital cameras, and it is powered by a basic 1GHz processor running a variation of Windows Vista. I think the majority of the development went into making a large multi touch LCD screen.

$5,000-$10,000 is out of reach for the common consumer but it will come down in price. The unit will probably come down to $2,000 in a years time. Hopefully, in a couple of year, these things will replace the normal coffee table found in livings rooms. One will be able to select what media they want to watch on their TV's, surf the internet for a quick look at the weather or news, or do many other countless tasks. I think Microsoft has the right idea in mind. They want to integrate everyones houses. Microsoft wants your TV, game system, fridge (CES speech), kitchen (CES speech), bedrooms (CES speech), and coffee tables to all be in sync with each other.

JazzyMac

Jazzy Smooth
If a company releases anything that looks slightly good on the entertainment/technology side, they're "copying Apple". :rolleyes:

Please realize that the only thing Apple is worried about concerning copying is the fact that a customer might not "copy" their previous Apple orders and end up buying from someone/where else.

Cool tech.

Last edited:

kylo4

I said copied Apple prematurely because what I thought it was, was a phone. When I actually researched the product, saw that it had been in development since 2001 and watched everything I could on it, I knew it was time to forget about the iPhone.

On the official site of Microsoft Surface you see it in action. I still can't get over the fact that you can put your credit card on the table, slide a concert ticket price near it and it buys it. Or if you put a Zune there you can take the songs off it. Wow.

toothpaste

Baggss,

Didn't you post something similar a few months back? Wasn't apple looking at some technology like this as well?

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
That is so damn cool! I love the part in the third trailer where there's a Zune sitting on the Surface with a circle around it that says "Jen's Zune." Then she simply drags songs into the circle to add them to the Zune.

kylo4

Yes, its incorporating wi-fi into everything. I would still like to know how to pay for something with your credit card using that.