MC9 Upgrade Mess: SOLVED!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
I think I've now figured out why I ended up in such a mess when upgrading my registered copy of MC9.1 from beta build 262 to beta build 271. As I posted in a separate thread yesterday, I ended up with a mess, in which MC9 failed to see files on the iPod, the iPod failed to see songs that were obviously on it, and blank playlists showed up on the iPod.

I got some excellent advice that I needed to initialize the iPod to start from scratch again but, unfortunately, I did not receive and try to use that advice until AFTER I had munged up my MC9 database on the PC side by trying to synch between the upgraded MC9 and the iPod. During that synch process, I have no doubt that the MC9 database on the PC side got screwed up royally. As long as the MC9 database on the PC was screwed up, no amount of initializing the iPod, reinstalling older/newer builds of MC9 or what have you were going to fix the problem.

The solution turns out to have been very simple and elegant:

1. Install the newest version of MC9.

2. Restore the Library from a Backup copy that was NOT screwed up. Since I Backup the library frequently, I simply selected one from two days ago before I started to try the upgrade process and before I (foolishly) synched the newest MC9 with the already-loaded iPod. The newly restored library looked great. All of the Playlists were there on the PC side and in good condition.

3. Initialize the iPod to get a fresh start.

4. Timidly right click on a Playlist on the PC that has very few tunes, and choose "Send To External ----> iPod." Success!

5. Now start the usual synch process and tell MC9 to synch all of my favorite Playlists from the PC to the iPod.

Worked like a charm! I know that at least one other person got bummed by this process and went back to Ephpod, but that isn't necessary as long as you realize one simple fact: if you try to synch the newest MC9 with pre-loaded iPod, you may screw up the library database on your PC side. Remedy that defect by Restoring a backed up copy of the library on the PC side, and you'll be good to go.