Maybe a dumb question....

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PHiX

... but what is the difference between a reciever and an amplifier when speaking audio system components.... both are in between your audio / video players and speakers and used to regulate the settings?

I HAVE been searching for the answer, but it isn't clear to me yet.

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
the two terms have kind of become interchangeable over the years. in general, both serve the same basic functions of amplifying, shaping sound, and switching between various inputs and outputs. i suppose the main difference is that a 'receiver' includes an am/fm receiver, where in the purest sense an 'amplifier' does not.

PHiX

Thanks for the replies. I do know recievers have amplifiers built in for every channel... so I was wondering why someone would buy a separate amplifier component. Maybe it works to give the front speakers an extra boost without having to buy an expensive reciever which can boost 7 speakers?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Most consumers nowadays have receiver=everything built-into 1 box for convinience, space, cost etc. A receiver typically has a radio tuner, a control section, and the 5 channels or whatever amplifiers blocks, all in 1 box.

BUT u can buy them separate. Cons: Costs more, need the space; Pros: U pick and choose the "best of breed" and can spend your money slowly, rather than all at once.

I have HTPC (Home Theater PC) -> Preamplifier (dolby/dts/tuner) -> 3 stereo amplifiers, for a total of 5 boxes.

Sime

I have a Yamaha RX-Z9 which has amplication for 9 channels, but I only use 3 channels from it. I has 2 parasound amps, one HK amp and a Krell KST-100 running off the Yamaha. This dosnt make it much louder, but it sounds a hell of alot cleaner and you could say "faster" sounding. Separate components will always do a better job than 1.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Sime said:
Separate components will always do a better job than 1.
As long as the rest of the components are up to snuff.

If one's intend to build his system around the iPod, I say just buy a Walmart receiver and don't waste yr money. The truth hurts.

PHiX

bobb-mini said:
As long as the rest of the components are up to snuff.

If one's intend to build his system around the iPod, I say just buy a Walmart receiver and don't waste yr money. The truth hurts.
I'm aware of this, I might connect my iPod but it isnt priority #1.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
All is not lost. If at some point a manufacturer builds an intelligent interface on its receiver that is able to read the iPod's structure and use the iPod as a direct digital source device, then that will be a brand new day.

Currently, there are receivers, with a USB port, that is able to use a USB dongle as source, so they understand FAT structure already, they just have to put more work into it, maybe they have to license something from Apple. Not absolutely sure on this one.

Edit: Check out this thead. This Pioneer receiver is said to have an "iPod interface."

If this Pioneer is able to display track/album info etc (good sign), able to use iPod's Playlists (excellent sign). Else just gets analog info from iPod - bleww.

Last edited:

cks2006

In a nutshell;

Receiver:
Tuner, preamp, power amp.

Integrated amp:
Preamp, power amp.

Preamp:
Preamplifies audio, selects sources, controls audio levels and processing.

Amplifier, takes line level audio to drive speakers.

Note: Some receivers/Integrated amps may use an active sub, meanint it outputs sepaker level signals for everytinh but the sub, and line out for the sub only, which has its own built in amplifier.