MarkAble bug reports - please post here

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Would those trying out my MarkAble software please either email me directly with bug reports (to support05 @ rightword.com.au), or if you feel there are issues worthy of general discussion, post them to this thread.

They are getting a bit lost in the "Unfair slurs" thread - which should probably be allowed to fade away into the mists of time...!

(probably not a good idea to post the full JIT debugging information here - just email me that - otherwise we'll have a thread full of VERY long posts).

Last edited:

ArchieGates

Okay, I just sent you an email with the text from the error box. I get an error message when I try the "Convert" option. iTunes does open and copy the merged mp3 file into the iTunes music folder, but I get the error message from MarkAble and no conversion takes place.

My other problem is an iTunes problem - I can't seem to convert an MP3 audiobook of any decent length to AAC using iTunes. It usually gives me an error message halfway or longer through the conversion process. So, for right now, I've given up on making my existing MP3 audiobooks into m4b files, and I'm just subscribing to Audible.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
I should have a new version (0.2.8) up on the iPodSoft site within a couple of hours. I don't expect it to FIX the convert bug people are reporting (though it may), but it should certainly give us more feedback about what is going wrong.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
New version 0.2.8 now available.

I don't expect this to exactly FIX the problems reported, though with luck it will, but it should fail more gracefully and give you (and thus me) more information about what is going on (I hope).

arsolot

I've checked out 10 or 12 audiobooks from the library over the past year or so, and converted them all to a bookmarkable file for use on my iPod. I've never had any issues with this process, which can be a little time consuming or tedious. But, it worked well for me.

Upon first hearing about the software offered by Mr. Grigg, I was uninterested, as the method that I'd been using for a while was successful. But, on reading praise for the software, I thought I'd give it a try. I did so today.

I was unable to make it work for me. It may be just me, but I read Robert's guide on iPodLounge, I read the help file that came with Mr. Grigg's software, but it never worked for me. I'd get the "rip all" button for the 1st CD, but when I was ready to "rip" the second disc, the only button available was "merge all" which seemed to me to be premature.

I consider myself facile with my computer. I'm no expert, but I'm able, normally without assistance, to resolve many issues that come up through computer use. (I got my first PC in 1984; DOS ver. 1.1; two floppy disc drives; no hard drive).

I'm going to go back to the the method that works for me, and will wait to see if Mr. Grigg's software is improved.

(this post moved from the "Unfair Slurs" thread.)

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
MarkAble crash on convert - a fix?

I think I may have discovered the reason that some users are experiencing crashes of MarkAble during a convert operation. At least, I have found ONE cause.

Note this well!! It is absolutely ESSENTIAL to go into your iTunes preferences, click on the Importing tab and make sure that "Play songs while importing" is OFF, OFF, OFF !

Otherwise, MarkAble tries to open up the imported file to rename it - but iTunes already has hold of it to play it - and the two programs have a little dog fight over it and MarkAble loses.

Also please note that there is now a MarkAble forum at the iPodSoft web site. You can post bug reports or look for answers to your questions here
This is really a much better location for MarkAble issues than the iPodLounge forum, since I don't want to clutter up the latter with accounts of my software failings! :p

Last edited:

JohnCoxon

Website
alphacentauri.8k.com
Whenever I try to use MarkAble, my computer simply looks at the six mp3s I give it, takes the first one and adds 17mb to the size while not actually putting any of the other five mp3s in the same file with it.

What is wrong? How can I get around this?

mantene

I have noticed that if all of the MP3 files are not the same bitrate/sample rate/channels then it takes then it doesn't work properly. Sounds like your second file is not the same as the first.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Yes, it's important that all the MP3 files have the same sampling and bit rate if they are to be merged. MarkAble doesn't do any re-sampling/conversion when it merges, it just (fundamentally) glues the data in the files together.

I'll try and spell this out more in the help file.

JohnCoxon

Website
alphacentauri.8k.com
OK, that'll be it, I encoded the mp3s with an average variable bitrate of 128kbps so they'll all be in slightly different bitrates due to the way LAME does it.

LoraJ

I've tried 3 times to get this one book to work with markable. I give up. This book has 23 CD's. Something weird happens when I try and get them into itunes. Why does it keep asking if I want to overwrite a file?