Manual Update...Smartlists and Last.fm?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Phillyzero

Canadian Lounger
Ok, so I've finally given up trying to squeeze out every GB of my computer and am in the process of moving my music off the computer onto external HDDs and what not. This obviously means that I have to use Manual Update, so that it won't wipe my iPod everytime. However...my usual routine is listening to some of my smartlists on the computer while I work and let them get scrobbled by Last.fm...if I delete these songs from my harddrive...won't they ONLY appear on my iPod, thus making my smartplaylists useless, since there are no more songs actually on the harddrive, which means I'll have to hook my iPod to the computer all the time and play it in iTunes that way? Is this how it would work if I removed the music from my harddrive?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If you're adding an external drive to make more space for your computer, why don't you consolidate your entire library to the external drive. That way your library will remain intact, letting you play songs in iTunes and keeping your iPod in auto-sync mode. To consolidate your library to a new location, don't move the files yourself -- use the "Consolidate Library" utility in iTunes. There is an FAQ around here on how to do that.

bwh79

This obviously means that I have to use Manual Update
No it doesn't. Do like rock said and use the "Consolidate Library" function instead of just moving the files over manually. iTunes doesn't care where you keep the files, as long as they are still in the library you'll be fine.

There is an FAQ
An FAQ? As in an "eff ay queue"? I always just say it like it's a word and call it a "fack", so I always get a little mental hiccup when I see someone type it with an "an" :)

oobujoobu

bwh79 said:
An FAQ? As in an "eff ay queue"? I always just say it like it's a word and call it a "fack", so I always get a little mental hiccup when I see someone type it with an "an" :)
Well that's a nicer way of pronouncing it than I use, as it always looks to me like "Fackyou" :D

Phillyzero

Canadian Lounger
This may seem a bit lazy, but can someone link me to the FAQ of this. I found some stuff on google, but I just wanna see the ilounge version of things.

bwh79

Open iTunes. Click Edit->Preferences. Click the "Advanced" tab. Click the "General" tab if it's not selected already. Change the "iTunes Music folder location" to a folder of your choice located on the external hard drive. "Apply" the change. Close the preferences window. Click Advanced->Consolidate library. Your part is done; go have a cup of tea while iTunes transfers your files.

Maybe it'll take a bit longer if you have a large library. Go out for a hamburger.

When you come back, check the new iTunes Music folder location on the external drive to make sure that your files were actually copied. Check a couple of tracks in iTunes with "Get info" to make sure that they actually point to the new copies (the file's location is shown near the bottom of the "Summary" tab). If everything looks good, you can delete the old copies from your internal hard drive and get your free space back.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm