Managing Tracks on the iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

stuBCN

Website
www.pixeljourney.com
Im using a G4Ti, I have just ripped my cd collection to my hard drive. My new iPod is on its way in the post as i type.

ok, here is the question.

I want to copy all my tracks on to my iPod (15GB). My laptop hard drive is now just about full, i need to now bin all my music from it so i can get back on with my freelance work. If i only have my tracks on my iPod and not on my laptop, can i still use iTunes to manage the music on my iPod ??

I also want to be able to auto-sync my iCal and address book etc. to the iPod but without the auto sync deleting the music off my iPod because my iTunes library on my Laptop will be empty !

Anyway, hope that made some kind of sense ?

I think Apple asume that everyone has 15GB spare to store there music ! To me it makes sense to keep all my music files on my iPod and just use my laptop and iTunes to manage the tracks & playlists etc...

If i had an external (powered) firewire drive, can i install my iTunes library on there ?

Hope someone can enlighten me !
Thanks

Stuart

stuBCN

Website
www.pixeljourney.com
can anyone help ?

my new iPod should arrive this Tuesday.
I am moving to Barcelona from the UK in 2 weeks. Hence the need to get all my music on my iPod ! noit easy to fit all my cds' in my suitcase !

ginalee

Website
www.slavecalledshiver.com
Yes you can manage your playlists and songs from iTunes if the songs are only on your iPod

If you use isync to snyc your contacts and calendar then the songs don't get automatically erased.

JUST BE CAREFUL to select the "manual" option in iTunes and not "automatically snyc" for working with the iPod and you'll be fine.

I keep only 2 GB songs on my HD and the rest is on the iPod with backup on CD (you never know)

Hope this was helpful.

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
To expand on what ginalee said, when your iPod is connected to your computer, its icon should appear in iTunes' Sources window, below the Library and the Music Store, and above playlists. If you select it, you'll be able to browse it just like you can your Library, and the "make new playlist" and "make new smart playlist" options will apply to the iPod if you choose them while it is selected.