Making iTunes treat mp3 files as podcast

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Mollsmolyneux

Hi I listen to many podcasts and have subscribed to them on iTunes, however not all the episode are available when subscribe so you must download them from the website however they appear inside the music library rather than the podcast library. I was wondering if there is there a way to make itunes treat mp3s as podcasts and place them in the same list as the subscribed podcasts. Thanks.

MrDarcy

had the same problem, found a solution:

Adjust the tags of the new files with Mp3tag (website: here), which allows to edit more ID3 tags than iTunes does. Load the folder where your podcasts are located. To edit the tags, press the 'Tags...' icon in the toolbar.

Set 'ITUNESPODCAST' as value 1 and add the same 'ITUNESPODCASTURL' as the other podcasts. To set the date, add a tag 'RELEASETIME' with a value yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ssZ (example 2008-06-28T08:00:00Z). Other tags can be added/renamed so they match with the other podcasts.

To add them to your podcast list, simply open the file with iTunes.

This method can also be used to convert any mp3 audio file to a podcast. Make sure to set ITUNESPODCAST = 1 and set an 'ITUNESPODCASTURL' (doesn't have to be valid, but it won't update obviously). Change other tags as u like.

Last edited:

tywallick

I have tried doing this with no success. I have numerous audio speech files that I would like to show up in the podcast directory so they do not show up in my music library. I modified the tags with the mentioned mp3tag and they still do not show up. I used the exact same detail as a similar podcast. Just using a smart playlist still shows them in my music library. I want to classify them as anything else that will show up elsewhere. Any ideas?

stopnbreath

MP3 to Podcast

In iTunes select the song(s) you want to change. Get info & go to options, select the media type pull down & choose podcast. You're done.