Make your own Ringtones w/iTunes 7.6

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

coloradoipodfan

Hi All,

O.K. for those of you with an iPhone, with iTunes 1.1.3, you can make your own ringtones, free of charge. I figured it out... and synced the phone... and it works.

1. Select a song you want to make your ringtone.
2. Right click on the track, to make it into an AAC file.
3. Take the AAC file and drag it on to the desktop.
4. Here's the key -- you MUST now take the file that is on the desktop and shrink it to 30 seconds or less. You cannot exceed 30 seconds, even by 0.00001 seconds.
5. Use your favorite audio editing software, like Audio Recorder to trim the file. SAVE the file as an MP3 file (renamed from the original of course). Save this file to the desktop.
6. Now, take the newly trimmed file, and rename the extension from .mp3 to .mpr
7. Drag MPR file back to iTunes, in your Library. The file will automatically file under Ringtones.
8. Sync your phone... and done!
9. Double-check your iPhone properties in iTunes, to ensure the new ringtone is check marked for syncing from that point on.
10. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

hafjell

How do I rename the .mp3 file? Using Windows XP, there is a Rename File option when I rightclick but it only allows me to rename the file, not the extension.

ahsan

In Windows Explorer, TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS -> select VIEW tab -> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

hafjell

ahsan said:
In Windows Explorer, TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS -> select VIEW tab -> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Thanks, that worked like a charm. Unfortunately, now when I rename the file as an .mpr file it won't import to iTunes. I get the circle with a line through it when I try to drag and drop into iTunes. Any thoughts? Also, when I rename it to .mpr the icon in Tile view changes from mp3 to a generic window icon.

sarp1028

Website
www.uraniumchild.com
Just a thought...

Perhaps...

Import the mp3 into itunes then rename the root file (in the itunes folder if your app automatically copies the file to that folder.... or where ever you imported the file from if it doesnt)

hafjell

sarp1028 said:
Perhaps...

Import the mp3 into itunes then rename the root file (in the itunes folder if your app automatically copies the file to that folder.... or where ever you imported the file from if it doesnt)
I receive a, "the file cannot be imported because it does not appear to be a valid exported file" error message or when I try to drag and drop I get the circle with the line through it. Is there another file extension I should rename it?

Gr8twhitenasty

Ok, since I've been wanting to do this as well I finally figured out how to do it.

1. Take any song in itunes and if you don't want to mess with the timing, right click and choose "convert selection to aac" and a new version of the song will appear just below the old one.
2. Right click the song and go under "Options" and "Start Time" as well as "End Time" and pick which part of the song that you want to make into a ringtone. (It seems the general consensus with this is under 30 sec.)
3. Once you've selected what part of the song you want, click OK. After this you need to again "convert selection to aac" for the new version of your shortened song.
4. With the new clip, right click and select "Show in Windows Explorer."
5. Once the file is shown in Windows, rename the file from ".m4a" to ".m4r". (It was stated above how to enable windows to show file extensions.)
6. Once renamed, double-click on the file and the new ringtone will beging to play in iTunes and you are ready to sync and enjoy your new tone.

I hope this helps everyone. I had been searching for a while and now I am so happy to figure it out. If any of this is wrong, please go to this website.

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/07/free-custom-ringtones-in-itunes-7-4/

hafjell

Gr8twhitenasty said:
Ok, since I've been wanting to do this as well I finally figured out how to do it.

1. Take any song in itunes and if you don't want to mess with the timing, right click and choose "convert selection to aac" and a new version of the song will appear just below the old one.
2. Right click the song and go under "Options" and "Start Time" as well as "End Time" and pick which part of the song that you want to make into a ringtone. (It seems the general consensus with this is under 30 sec.)
3. Once you've selected what part of the song you want, click OK. After this you need to again "convert selection to aac" for the new version of your shortened song.
4. With the new clip, right click and select "Show in Windows Explorer."
5. Once the file is shown in Windows, rename the file from ".m4a" to ".m4r". (It was stated above how to enable windows to show file extensions.)
6. Once renamed, double-click on the file and the new ringtone will beging to play in iTunes and you are ready to sync and enjoy your new tone.

I hope this helps everyone. I had been searching for a while and now I am so happy to figure it out. If any of this is wrong, please go to this website.

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/07/free-custom-ringtones-in-itunes-7-4/

Brilliant. Thanks so much. I edit the files down in another way, but it seems the conversion to .aac/.mp4 is key. Renaming from a .mp3 file won't work. Also, file length is key. A file of 29.4 seconds won't show up on my phone, (although it will show up in iTunes as on my phone) but a 27.6 second file will list as 28 seconds in iTunes and show up in Ringtones on my phone. Thanks a million.

vtrking

Own ringtones

Hi,
I have been looking how to do this for a while, but I am a Mac user with OSX. Any ideas about applying the instructions to this platform?

Any input would me most appreciated, especially when they have the cheek to charge us nearly $4 to compose a ringtone when I've got tons of music available.

Cheers,

Philip

Dumb Monkey

I would think the only difference in OSX would be in step 4 where you right click the file. Instead of 'Show in Windows Explorer' there should be an option to 'Show in Finder' or something like that.

vtrking

Osx

Thanks for that.
I just figured it out a second before you replied. Trouble is although the file extension changes ok and it even identifies it as a Ringtone on the icon, I can't get it into I-Tunes as a Ringtone. I've tried File>Importing from Desktop :confused: and Drag and Drop directly into Ringtones - both unsuccessfully. It's sitting pretty in my Music Library as a track, albeit a 28 second one, but I can't get I-Tunes to identify it as a Ringtone. :confused:
Any ideas anyone please.
Regards,
Philip.

Dumb Monkey

But the instructions state to double click the renamed .m4r file so it plays in iTunes. I've done several this way.

vtrking

Osx

Yes, if I double click it plays ok in I-Tunes, but I just can't get it on to my I-Phone as a Ringtone. I can't see what I'm missing. :confused:
Thanks,
Philip

hafjell

once you've renamed the file as a .mpr file and double click on it, are you finding it in iTunes under "Ring tones"?

d-$hot

everythng works exept for when i put say 4 ringtones on my iphone it reads them as all the same i have 4 different ones on my itunes but when i sync it my phone reads them all as the same can anyone help

d-$hot

i need help what am i doin wrong i converted ther song and it goes onto itunes as a ringtone but when i sync all of them it just show 5 of the same ringtone can anyone help?//

AlienRingtone

Mac, iTunes 7.6, iPhone 1.1.3

Here is how to do it on Mac, iTunes 7.6, iPhone 1.1.3
- In Finder under iTunes Music, create a folder named "Ringtones"
- Select the song you want as a Ringtone from your Library
- Right-Click (Ctrl-Click) on it and choose "Convert to AAC"
- Right-Click (Ctrl-Click) on it and choose "Get Info"
- Under Options Tab select the part of the Song you would like as a Ringtone and save
- Right-Click (Ctrl-Click) on it and choose "Convert to AAC" again to extract the selected part.
- Right-Click (Ctrl-Click) and choose "Show in Finder"
- Rename this File to .m4r
- Move it to the "Ringtones" folder you created earlier
- From there move it to your iTunes Library again and it should show up in Ringtones
- Now you can Sync it or drag it manually to iPhone/Ringtones in iTunes