Make ACCs Bookmarkable

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Website
dougscripts.com
Correspondent Josh Rafofsky drew my attention to this Apple Kbase article which describes how one can use a "third-party" application to change the file type of your AACs to make them bookmarkable. "How about a killer AppleScript that can do it for you?" asks Josh. I had to haul out my "Tao of AppleScript" to remember how to change file types, which I haven't done since I was regularly using OS 9. Make Bookmarkable will change the file type of the selected AAC tracks to "M4B", thus making them bookmarkable. Works at my house. I suspect scripts like these will be popping up all over the place in the next few days.

jh-retired

VERY cool. Awesome for home-ripped AAC Audiobooks.

Thanks Doug!

Any ideas on how to edit that same attribute in Windows?

jh-retired

I'll try it when I get home today. Seems to easy to be true, but it could work. :D

grimmet

...from berlin
Website
www.pochoirs.de
could you tell in short words, what the script exactly doing on the mp3's ... so we might find a sollution for windows users too. thx.

Website
dougscripts.com
The script is changing the file type to "M4B ". Windows and Macintosh deal with file types differently. While Windows relies on the extension, file type of Mac files is part of the file. I do not know how to change the file type of AAC files in Windows. But I would think that if it could be done, people would be doing it already.

(Sorta Off Topic: Want to know the relative number of Mac users to Windows users there are? Go to the Google Zeitgeist and check out the Operating Systems stats.)

Chimera

Maybe someone could post a legal AAC file both before and after the applescript has been run, and we could compare the 2 with a hex editor to find out what has changed? I'd love to get this working on my Windows machine.

jvandyke

Website
homepage.mac.com
newbie question

I posted this elsewhere but with no response yet so I'll try here.
Hi all, cancelled mini order Monday, switched to 15gig, got this Morning (Wed.) at 10:30! Engraved! 48 hours from order to hand, engraved? amazing.
Played with ipod a bit today. Geeked
Very impressed.
Interested in the bookmark script but can't figure out where the scripts menu is?
Hopefully a stupid question.
Panther, everything up to date.
Looking forward to my life with an iPod. Wanted one for years. I'm stoked!

MikeM

Retired
Anyone in the Windows world who wants to try this, I can email you two AAC's of a band I was in [No comments on the music please!] with one track being bookmarkable. Send me a PM with your email address.

They're about 9mb total, so no Hotmail addresses!

Website
dougscripts.com
Interested in the bookmark script but can't figure out where the scripts menu is?
AppleScripts for iTunes must be placed in a folder called "Scripts" in the home > Library > iTunes folder. If there is no "Scripts" folder there, create one and put your AppleScripts in it. Thereafter, the scripts will appear under the script icon in iTunes' menubar.

jvandyke

Website
homepage.mac.com
Doug Adams said:
AppleScripts for iTunes must be placed in a folder called "Scripts" in the home > Library > iTunes folder. If there is no "Scripts" folder there, create one and put your AppleScripts in it. Thereafter, the scripts will appear under the script icon in iTunes' menubar.
great thanks, I had created the folder as per the instructions that came with the script but had named the folder "iTunes Scripts" instead of just "Scripts", the "read me" file said this;
"Put this script in your iTunes Scripts folder. This is located in home > Library > iTunes. If there is no Scripts folder there, create one and put the script in it. It will then appear in iTunes' Scripts Menu, where you can select it by clicking on its name."

The file "how to install" states it better.
Thanks!

Chimera

So Mike forwarded me two AAC files, one bookmarked, one not....and they are byte for byte identical. Anyone have any idea how that can possibly be? :)

Chimera

ok, so since the file type information is lost when the file transferred by or to a Windows machine, does this mean that Windows formatted iPods cannot use bookmarkable files? That would suck, especially for people who are paying to download books rather than just using iTunes to rip already purchased audio books. I can't imagine paying $20+ to download an audio book from iTMS and having to remember where I stopped listening.

Website
dougscripts.com
I can't imagine paying $20+ to download an audio book from iTMS and having to remember where I stopped listening.
I thought Audible files were always bookmarkable on either platform.

I suggest a "scientific" approach. Check an Audible file on each Mac and Windows; check any m4p (protected) from the iTMS on both platforms; check a user-imported m4a on both platforms; then check a user-made-bookmarkable m4p and m4a on both platforms.

For all I know, others have discussed this in the iTunes Windows forum. I have not investigated anything about Windows files myself.

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
I have had complete success on the Win2K platform. I take an ordinary AAC file (*.m4a) and simply change the file name to *.M4B. The file is "bookmarkable" both in iTunes for the PC (when you go to that file in iTunes, it remembers where in the file it was when you last left the file). The same thing is true on my 3G iPod.

It is puzzling to me that I've been hearing reports that this is not entirely successful for other windows users. One user finds that the file remembers its place in iTunes but not on the iPod. See this thread:

http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=151644#post151644

Hope the rest of you can soon gain the success that I have, because this is a very nice, poorly-documented feature. I wonder if Apple withdrew the KnowledgeBase article because of its contract with audible.com, so that Audible books would be unique in remembering their place? I am a huge fan and subscriber to Audible books, but that would be unfortunate.

Chimera

Just to report that renaming the file to M4B in windows works fine for me on both iTunes and the iPod. I had Harry Potter book 5 in MP3 format, seperated into hundreds of files (24 cds, approx 60 tracks per CD). I joined all of the tracks on each CD into one so got 24 long MP3 files. Then I converted them to AAC (I know I could've just re-ripped the CDs into AAC, but this was quicker and didn't require me to swap 24 CDs) and renamed the resulting M4A files to M4B. Copied them to my iPod, now I only have to remember what CD I was on, instead of what track on what CD out of 1500! The iPod resumes the track no matter where I was.

Now if only it would remember where I was in a playlist, then I wouldn't even have to remember which CD I was playing, I could just choose the playlist and resume where I left off :)