• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Macbook Pro problems

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
I have had my laptop since August, and today, for the second time since then, it has reset a few IMPORTANT things on it's own accord. By this I mean my Firefox bookmarks (including the toolbar), history etc gets wiped clean (Safari remains unscathed) and my iTunes library deletes itself. I just opened it now and it said my previous library was "damaged" so it has created a new one, and is at present trying to add all my music back in from my hardrive. It has also somehow managed to add in every song 3 times so yeah..not to happy about having to sort that out again.

It is so annoying, it happened without any warning. I turned my laptop off in the morning, came back to it this afternoon and things seemed to have gone wrong!

Any thoughts? I thought I left this kind of BS behind when I switched to Macs :mad:

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
Nope, you haven't left it behind. If anything, I'd say Macs are less reliable than Windows when both are set up properly. Of course there's a whole host of 'thats nice' stuff in OSX to compensate.

I'd suggest more regular system maintenance, which will cause your Mac to go postal less frequently. Not very strenuous, will cause less headaches.

Oh yeah: If you're experiencing stability issues in general, try one of the fan control programs out there. A cooler machine is a happier machine.

Last edited:

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
He hasn't mentioned an upgrade so I assumed he's running Tiger. But you're right to mention it: It gets worse under Leopard.

Derek McNelly

Website
www.myspace.com
Hmm... I've honestly had less problems with Leopard than I ever did with Tiger.

In fact, I haven't had any real problems with either OS, other than the occasional lock up, which is an inevitable fact with any computer, nor has anyone else I know with a Mac.

So, either you're just unlucky, or southeast Michigan has better luck with Macs then the rest of the world.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I've had zero problems under 10.5 and had very few under 10.4. The ones I did have were mostly the result of me mucking around in root where I shouldn't have.

I've seen the iTunes Library damaged issue, but only after iTunes was quite forcibly or the machine was shut down while the library was updating to or from the disc. I don't use FF much, so I can't say what that could be except that I have found FF to be less stable on OSX overall than other browsers, especially FF 3 Beta.

As far as Macs being less reliable, I would disagree with that completely. I think either system can be unstable depending on how it is used and by who it is used. Windows has more potential scenarios for instability due to the many hardware combinations that can be hobbled together and plethora of poorly written software available for purchase or download. FF and iTunes having issues don't point to an unstable system, they point to two unstable Apps. The system itself sounds fine, unless the OP is encountering a lot of GSODs.

As for solving these issues, I'd recommend the OP join a Mac forum (like Mac-Forums or iOnMac) where he can get some friendly help from folks who know what they are talking about. While iL is a somewhat Mac biased forum, it's not the best (or even a particularly good) place to get Mac help.

Last edited:

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
I am running Tiger at the moment. Don't plan on upgrading just yet.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, though I don't bother touching any of the settings on my Mac, it's just used for pretty basic stuff at the moment (internet browsing, watching DVDs, IM'ing and listening to music.

As for it being unreliable...I don't find Macs unreliable, mine does crash more often then my PC but that's just individual applications which after being forced to close are fine after. I'm more annoyed that I have to go through my whole library and delete 3000-odd duplicates and recreate playlists etc. I have lost bookmarks though so I may have to start using Safari again if it is more stable...