• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Mac Video Tag Editor

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sparkee

Anyone know of a good video tag editor or Apple Script to copy the tags from one movie file and paste to another movie file?

I re-did my James Bond collection to improve the video quality for my Apple TV and fix a few audio sync issues on a few movies. I would like to copy the tag info including the Video Description and Artwork from the old files then paste it to the new files in one pass. I don't really want to copy each field over separately for 20 movies.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
You can edit them in MetaX but you have to do it manually. I've not seen an App that will copy from one to the other though. I suppose you could try you hand at Automator and Apple Script and build something custom..

Sparkee

Thank for the reply baggss. I already have MetaX but have not used it much since it was a pain to use for auto searching with my TV Show episodes. I never though of using it with movies for some reason. I fired it up last night and tried it with a few movies and it works quite well. I think I'm scratching the idea of copying the tags and using MetaX to search and write a new more complete tag than I had before.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Thank for the reply baggss. I already have MetaX but have not used it much since it was a pain to use for auto searching with my TV Show episodes. I never though of using it with movies for some reason. I fired it up last night and tried it with a few movies and it works quite well. I think I'm scratching the idea of copying the tags and using MetaX to search and write a new more complete tag than I had before.
I've been using MetaX for movies for some time now, it seems to work great for the most part. For TV shows I use it but turn off the Auto search feature and just manually input info from TV.com to fill in what I want. I do find some odd omissions for movies though.

My only gripe about movies seems to be that to share data you have to include the chapter titles. Now, I know they want a completed data base but not all DVDs give titles to chapters and entering them is a pain anyhow. Without that it rejects the data you try to give it. My attitude towards sharing with them has become "screw you - I won't bother giving you info to make your system better if your going to be jerks about it".

Supposedly there is a new version (completely re-written from the ground up) coming sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath. Make sure when you use it you check the box marked "disable automatic archiving" in prefs. If you don't after a few days of use it will take forever to load and will eat huge amounts of RAM when it loads its archive of all the data you've written in it.

Sparkee

My only gripe about movies seems to be that to share data you have to include the chapter titles. Now, I know they want a completed data base but not all DVDs give titles to chapters and entering them is a pain anyhow. Without that it rejects the data you try to give it. My attitude towards sharing with them has become "screw you - I won't bother giving you info to make your system better if your going to be jerks about it".
I hear you, incomplete data is better than no data.

Make sure when you use it you check the box marked "disable automatic archiving" in prefs. If you don't after a few days of use it will take forever to load and will eat huge amounts of RAM when it loads its archive of all the data you've written in it.
Thanks for the tip. I did notice a fair amount of data in the archive and deleted it while I was testing. I have no use for archiving this data so I will be disabling it.

Edit: I think I still prefer the "Set video kind of selected" Applescript in iTunes for TV Shows simply for it's ability to sequentially number the episodes automatically. From there I just add art and a short description so iTunes Get Info does well enough. MetaX is still great for Movies though.

Last edited:

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Edit: I think I still prefer the "Set video kind of selected" Applescript in iTunes for TV Shows simply for it's ability to sequentially number the episodes automatically. From there I just add art and a short description so iTunes Get Info does well enough. MetaX is still great for Movies though.
I've done it that way too. I think it depends on what and how much data you want on TV shows. I'm use to using TV.coms info at this point and doing a copy/past to individual episodes lets me tightly control them and make sure the data is uniform across a Season. I add the Art, short description, long description, episode ID, Album Artist, actors, director, network, rating etc on all of them.

Glad you found something that works for you though.