Mac and Windows Compatibility

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

davewe

I have a new 15gb ipod. I have a Mac at home and a Windows machine at work. Am I correct in assuming that after loading all my music at home, if I try to connect the ipod to my work computer, it will want to reformat the hard disk? Anyway around this? I'd like to try to sync contacts/calendar at work as well as home.

Dave

ibons

davewe said:
I have a new 15gb ipod. I have a Mac at home and a Windows machine at work. Am I correct in assuming that after loading all my music at home, if I try to connect the ipod to my work computer, it will want to reformat the hard disk? Anyway around this? I'd like to try to sync contacts/calendar at work as well as home.

Dave
well the new ipod's hard disk comes formatted in default NFS+ (mac compatible), and when you hook it up to a PC and install the software, it will format the ipod to FAT32 which is PC compatible.

i don't have a mac myself but would advise that you leave it as a Macpod and use a mac reading program like MacOpener and ephpod to synchronise the pod on a windows computer

if you format it to FAT32, i have a feeling it will refuse to work on a Mac..

m.r.m.

ta da!

i hope this helps a little. ibons pretty much said it all :) !

just one thing, as far as i know macs can read fat32. not too sure if the ipod will work as such though or just as a external harddrive.

- mrm

yoebaby

I have a 15 gig ipod and have use it on my pc. I have also put music onto it from a friends ibook.
I used to have a 20gig and I found that I could put data onto a mac as well as putting data onto the pod from a mac.

ibons

yoebaby said:
I have a 15 gig ipod and have use it on my pc. I have also put music onto it from a friends ibook.
I used to have a 20gig and I found that I could put data onto a mac as well as putting data onto the pod from a mac.
could you confirm if your ipod is FAT32 formatted or NFS+? to do so, go to extras=>about and see which version you have, mac or windows. thanks!

yoebaby

at the moment I have a 15 gig so it just says winformat. But i have used it on an ibook as well as 2 different pcs

My old 20 gig was a winpod, to be honest I am not sure what format it was, I think it was fats32. But I did plug it into a powerbook once and I could access all the data files but it did not show any of the music files.