• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

M4V opens with Quicktime?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

I was fiddling around with some videos today. I transfered an iTunes purchase to my iPod, and long story short, ended up corrupting some files within my iPod while using a third-party portable syncing tool (I can't install iTunes on my work PC, but would like to connect my iPod from time to time).

The rented movie is still on my PC, but unplayable. Just to toy around, I tried right-clicking on the video in explorer and opening it in iTunes. To my surprise, the video opened and the chapter marks were there, but all I got was a gray screen: no sound or picture. I tried right-clicking on some purchased movies (non-rentals) and found that they opened in Quicktime and played.

I have not tried de-authorizing my PC and playing them, but is this normal? Does Quicktime check the same file that iTunes does to see if your computer is authorized? Or is this just a lucky break?