lost my music once wave files deleted

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

freddyuk

Having copied tapes into wave files i cannot copy the music from the itunes library once the original wav file is deleted? Itunes says it cant open the file but i have to delete the wav files as my disk is full. So the files are not being converted to AAC i assume?
Do i have to copy files onto ipod before i delete the wav files??

i 'm lost now!

thanks

mizzle

check in your itunes music folder to see if they are there...thats where converted music goes...if they are there then you can delete the original
C:/My Documents/ My Music/ Itunes...or something like that

freddyuk

Thanks.
Kinda weird as sometimes it transfers fine and sometimes it does not. I notice a lot of stuff i recorded a while ago is not now on the Library and if i had updated my Ipod before i went to manual only, it deleted those recordings.
Of course now my hardrive is full up so i cant do anymore anyway!

How do people keep all their music on a basic 40 gb pc??

Website
www.ilounge.com
If you import your music files into iTunes (using File->Add to Library), the files are not converted, but are imported as-is (so if they are WAV, they stay WAV). You have to convert them manually by importing them into iTunes and choosing Advanced->Convert To... or use a third-party software to pre-convert them to AAC/MP3 before you import them.

As for storing music on your computer, many people with small hard drives have just purchased an external hard drive, which is highly recommended, as your iPod should not be your only music storage, since it can be too easily lost or damaged. An external hard drive at least provides a place to backup your music, and in fact you can even store the content of your live Tunes library on it.

If this is not an option, then you're probably best just to use manual management of your iPod, in which case you can drag and drop music to your iPod and then safely delete it from your iTunes library.

freddyuk

Great thanks - i'm getting there.
I did note that if i copy the tracks onto the Ipod after i transfer to the library they are converted and i think that is the key - having the Ipod connected? Anything done that way is ok but anything copied over without the Ipod transfer is not.

So i guess what you are saying is that a lot of my library files are still in wav format so taking up loads of space but anything copied over to the Ipod is converted into AAC.

I need to try and find out which files are WAV and convert them???

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, unless you're using an iPod Shuffle, I don't think that iTunes converts them when loading them onto the iPod either. The iPod will play WAV files, though, so it's possible that you are in fact just transferring them to your iPod in WAV format...

freddyuk

Bloody hell!
I know that if i copy the source into WAV and then copy onto the Itunes library and then delete the WAV files i end up losing the tracks off the library unless i see the tracks being copied in the window at the top of the Itunes page.
These tracks seem to be ok but could be WAV files as you say but i thought it says somewhere in Ipod options that the songs are converted into AAC automatically??:shake:

Website
www.ilounge.com
Well, you can tell by looking at the original file size, as WAV files will be much bigger than AAC/MP3 files.

iTunes only converts formats on-the-fly for the Shuffle as far as I know. The new version might convert WAV during sync, but if so then that's news to me.

The only setting for format in iTunes is found under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Importing is for the default format that you rip CDs at, as well as the default used when you select Advanced->Convert to AAC/MP3.

Of course, if you sync a file to the iPod and then subsequently delete the physical file from your hard drive, it will remain on the iPod unless it's removed from the iTunes library (ie, if it's still listed in the library, whether or not the file can be found on your hard drive, then it will remain on your iPod).

freddyuk

If i go into Ipod preferences the box is ticked for "Import" AAC converter. I assume therefore that any files imported are converted as they go into Itunes library??

Or maybe not ?

Thanks

freddyuk

In fact maybe i should just go and buy a media orientated PC with much bigger hard drive and sell my existing package to my parents who are still using an old wind up pc.

Seriously?

Website
www.ilounge.com
If you're referring to the option in iTunes under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Importing, this refers to the encoder that will be used when importing CDs (ie, inserting an audio CD and selecting "import"), not the format used when adding files to your library.

Imported files will be left in whatever format they were originally in, with the exception of WMA files, which iTunes will offer to convert for you (since the iPod doesn't support WMA).

Once you've imported the files, however, you can convert them within iTunes by right-clicking and choosing "Convert to AAC/MP3" (which can also be found under the "Advanced" menu). This will create a copy (you will have two entries in iTunes), after which you can delete the original WAV file and use the converted version.

freddyuk

OK now i am definitely getting there!
I have been copying WAV files from WAV files into Itunes.
Stay with me here....

So now i need to convert all those WAV files into AAC if i intend to just run Itunes or MP3 (or something else) if i want to reduce the size of the files stored and be able to use the files on something other than Ipods?

Currently i just use the Ipod but i dont want to recopy everything again if i decide to use the pc as my main source of mp3 round the house with a sound card and speakers.

Glad you were online and thanks for getting me slightly better orientated.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yes, that's essentially correct. Depending on what bit-rate you are going to use, however, you may want to have a read through our Digital Audio Formats forum to discover some of the differences between formats and quality.

Specifically, if you want to use MP3 files at a relatively low bit-rate (below 160kbps), I would strongly recommend using an encoder other than iTunes, such as LAME. iTunes' MP3 encoder is sub-standard compared to what else is out there, as they license the Fraunhoffer/Thompson codecs that have not been updated in several years.

So in the case of this approach, you could pre-convert the WAV files to MP3 using LAME, and then just import the MP3 files. There's no need for the WAV files to ever touch your iTunes library in this case.

If you're going to convert to AAC, then using iTunes to do this is just fine, as the AAC codec in iTunes is as good as anything else out there (not that there's much else out there to convert to AAC).

Note that you could always maintain the original WAV files somewhere else (burn to CD/DVD or copy to an external hard drive) in the event that you ever wanted to re-rip to a different bit-rate or format. If storage space is a concern, you may even want to look at a lossless compression algorithm, such as FLAC or ALAC that will allow you to compress WAV files to around 50% of their original size without any quality loss.

freddyuk

Jesse thank you - i guess its just a case of sitting down with an expert who understands that there are a lot of duffers out here trying to get our heads round the techno stuff.

I know a lot of what you have told me already from searching the archives BUT i just couldn't put it into the correct context to make proper use of it.

Sign of a good teacher is getting the message across first time. Well done.

Must be loads of "me" out there so glad i hooked up today and got sorted.

Thanks again - great site.:D

ROBERT F HAYES

freddyuk said:
Great thanks - i'm getting there.
Snip..
I need to try and find out which files are WAV and convert them???
Go to the iTunes "View Options" menu and check off "Kind". Now in addition to showing "Title, Artist, Genre, Ect, iTunes will also show you the file extention.

And/Or just get a program like "Sound Taxi" or "Tunebite" to filter all your files and convert them to .mp3 or to what ever format your looking for.