Lost Bookmarks after Deep Sleep?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Podunk

There was some discussion in another thread about bookmarks being lost when the iPod goes into deep sleep mode. But that thread started wondering off-topic.

I think Arsolot and Robert were first to identify this as the probable cause or event where bookmarks are lost.

I listen to my iPod every day so I never had this problem. Finally, this week, I let my iPod sit for 24 hours without playing and without charging and lo and behold, the bookmarks are gone.

For those of you already familiar with this problem, I'm wondering...Does this happen even if you leave it on the dock charging during that time?

And also, it would seem then that if the iPod loses its bookmark, and you do a resync to iTunes, the last synched bookmark in iTunes would be restored to the iPod. This would explain why someone report previously finding their bookmark set at 8:00 when they were at 12:00.

So can some of you experienced guys sacrifice listening to your iPod for a day and try to replicate this again so we can accurately identify this problem once and for all.

If we get three or four replications, we all need to send a line to iPod feedback. I''ll post a direct link to it after we come to a conclusion.

Thanks,
P

pmoto

I can't comment directly to the issue of lost bookmarks after deep sleep, but on two different occassions my iPod went into deep sleep while left idle on the dock/charger for more than 24 hours.

On both occassions I was not in the middle of any audible content so don't know if I would have lost my bookmarks. However, if most believe it is the onset of deep sleep that causes the bookmarks to be lost then I would doubt that leaving the iPod on the dock/charger would affect this loss of bookmarks.

Like you, I am interested hearing comments from other experienced listeners related to this issue.

Podunk

Well, thinking back, there is another possible explanation for my experience. Instead of my iPod losing a bookmark due to""deep sleep", it is possible that I was the one in deep sleep... as in fell asleep listening to a book and it accidentally played all the way to the end. :)

dordale

parannoya--

After upgrading to firmware 2.1 (when "deep sleep" mode was first introduced), I experienced the lost bookmark several times. Quite frequently, I spend over 24 hours not listening to my iPod. Each time my iPod woke up from "deep sleep" the audible bookmark would be reset to the prior bookmark. This happened every time my iPod went into "deep sleep".

I finally got so fed up with this, that I "downgraded" my iPod to firmware version 2.01. Have only had the "lost bookmark" problem once since then, and that was after my iPod spontaneously reset itself for reasons unknown.

Sorry I can't help test the dock/charger option for you, because I'm much happier with firmware 2.01 and don't intend to upgrade again unless Apple comes out with a better version than 2.1!

dordale :)

robert

Retired
How to avoid Deep Sleep loss of bookmark

It is definitely deep sleep that loses the latest bookmark and goes back to a prior book mark.

You must either:

1. Plug your iPod into your computer or wall socket to keep it from going into deep sleep during which the flash memory loses the current bookmark.
2. Force the iPod to place a bookmark in the book by leaving the book and going to a song before turning off iPod.

From the following link, some iPods do not go into deep sleep at all:

iPod: About Sleep, Deep Sleep, and Sleep Timer

Apple says there:

Note: The original 5 GB, 10 GB, and touch wheel iPod models do not have the deep sleep feature.

Another problem is brushing the 'Next' or 'Previous' keys accidentally. This will take you to the prior book or next book. Three solutions:
a. an iSkins or similar cover that slightly protects the keys.
b. when you do accidentally hit next or previous, tap the center wheel of 3G until you see a time bar for the book, Rotate the wheel back and forth until you find your former spot. Watch the time elapsed and remaining carefully to see where you are.
c. Use the hold button to freeze the keys so that when you put iPod in your pocket, brush your iPod, etc, they don't go to previous or next. See Audible + iPod Users Guide link below for more information like this.

I was having some random bookmark problems along with inaccurate battery readings. I reset the iPod and that fixed it:

TO RESET: toggle hold button, hold down play and menu buttons simultaneously until Apple logo appears, and release. That resets your iPod.

Visit this link for valuable User Information Audible + iPod Users Guide and be sure to watch the "movies" on the Apple link there. The movies show keys, screens, of iPod and iTunes so you can follow more easily.

Temporary assist if you do lose bookmark. With 3G tap the middle of the wheel until you get time bar on screen, then move the wheel clockwise or counter clockwise to rapidly forward (or backward) thru the book until you find your place. iPod will show time read, time remaining. and a marker on the time bar so you can guage where you are. Tap center wheel twice to get to a rating bar -- It is a series of stars -- for ranking a book. Rotate wheel thru the five dots and as they change to stars. See Audible + iPod Users Guide to Parannoya's Users guide for this and other useful techniques.

1. Concensus is that when a pre 4G or mini iPod is left off for around 24 hours or more that it goes into Deep Sleep Mode and when started up does a reset that moves book back to a prior book mark. You will know this is happening if your screen shows the Apple logo when you turn it on. Plan on going back to a prior book mark when that happens.

Last edited:

dordale

Just an FYI--

I'm running firmware version 2.01 (downgraded because of lost bookmarks and other issues).

For reasons unknown, when I turned my iPod on over the weekend, the apple logo came up and the iPod went through the whole process of resetting itself. When I went to play my audible book, as I expected, the play resumed at the bookmark from two sessions ago.

So, it appears that the problem is consistent through all versions of firmware for the g3 iPods--if the iPod reboots for any reason, it will lose the most current audible bookmark and resume at a prior bookmark.

dordale :)

robert

Retired
To Prevent Bookmark Loss from Deep Sleep reset

To keep from losing book mark you must either:

1. Plug your iPod into your computer or wall socket to keep it from going into deep sleep during which the flash memory loses the current bookmark.
2. Force the iPod to place a bookmark in the book by leaving the book and going to a song before turning off iPod.

From the following link, some iPods do not go into deep sleep at all:

iPod: About Sleep, Deep Sleep, and Sleep Timer

Apple says there:

Note: The original 5 GB, 10 GB, and touch wheel iPod models do not have the deep sleep feature.

Temporary assist if you do lose bookmark. With 3G tap the middle of the wheel until you get time bar on screen, then move the wheel clockwise or counter clockwise to rapidly forward (or backward) thru the book until you find your place. iPod will show time read, time remaining. and a marker on the time bar so you can guage where you are.

Tap center wheel twice to get to a rating bar and three time to get to 4G+ and mini listening speed.

Last edited: