• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Looking to buy a MacBook Pro 13"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Pghmyn

I want to buy a MacBook Pro 13" for this upcoming college this year, but I want to know if I would be able to have a payment plan through Apple?

Would I be able to pay a monthly fee like $100, or would I have to pay the $1,099 (with ed discount) upfront?

S2_Mac

Apple will finance through a specific credit card (one that you have to apply for) and you just have to make the minimum payments. Click on the "as low as $28.00 a month"-ish links posted under an item's price on any Store page, such as this one for MacBook Pro.

You should check with your school's bookstore or IT shop or whomever handles retailing laptops to students; the school may have a fund or grant to help ease the pain of purchase, either as a lump of cash or a time plan.

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
I believe the credit card company is still Juniper Visa. Be careful, they're sneaky with when the payment is due not syncing up with the date finance charges are applied.

Look into getting you're own credit card, maybe through a local credit union. They tend to have above average rates. I think I pay just above 7% for my Visa.

Also see if your school book store has any ideas, or plans. If you're getting student loans, you might have an option there too....

Pghmyn

I saw you would need to apply for the Juniper Visa card, but I don't want to apply for a card like that. I have a debit card, and if need be I can put the purchase on my mom's card.

I see that Best Buy now has a big Apple selection in their stores. Do they also offer educational discounts?

S2_Mac

The last time I had to deal with Apple Edu discounts (a few years ago) there was no 3rd party involvement; I doubt that's changed. (Just added expense for Apple, having to rebate the discount back to Best Buy.)

Your best course is to check with your school first, to see if they can offer a better deal. If not, purchase online or at an Apple Store. (If you'll be doing an orientation this summer, that's the perfect time to take care of it.)

Sparkee

I like to steer away from the big box stores when buying computers. Depending on their stock and the last hardware update you could end up paying full price or even higher for an out dated model. Macs or PCs they do not seem to discount outdated models and do not let you know a new model is available.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm

Pghmyn

Also keep in mind that Apple is running a back-to-school promotion where you get a free iPod Touch with a Macbook purchase:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?cid=WWW-NAUS-BTS20090507-00070

You have to buy from Apple, and you have to buy the Touch at the same time as the Macbook, and then wait for a refund on the Touch. My son did this last year, great deal!
I really plan to get the iPod Touch as well. Looks as though I will have to buy directly from the Apple store.