looking for simple playlist creation software

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Thesorus

Good day,

Since I think that syncing my iPod with ephpod will be simplier using playlists.

I'm looking for a simple (the simpliest) program to create playlists (m3u) from a list of files from windows explorer, nothing exotic, nothing complicated; except maybe to create from a root directory to create one playlist for each subdirectory.

Something like right-click on a folder name to create the playlist for that folder.

Thanks.

Max.

Muic

Website
muic.saklig.net
xplay

I think Xplay would work fine. it is realy simple, looks just like its a part of windows. And its just as you wanted, rightclick --> create folder then its just drag and drop from there...

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
I know you are all going to gasp when I say this, but I use MMJB to create most of my playlists. :eek: All of the other times I use ephpod to make them.:D

Apotheos

Can anyone tell me, as I'm somewhat new to non MMJB solutions, if it is possible to easily create playlists when you are *not* mirroring your iPod on your hard drive?

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
Apotheos said:
Can anyone tell me, as I'm somewhat new to non MMJB solutions, if it is possible to easily create playlists when you are *not* mirroring your iPod on your hard drive?
I am sure you can with MC9. It works the same way as MMJB.

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
I was going to let this slide, since the original poster was looking for something simple to create playlists, but since MC9 was brought up, I'll enter the fray...

MC9 does have a learning curve; there are "simpler" programs to make playlists, but IMHO MC9 (Media Center 9) is the best. You can create a smartlist, where you use a parameter (such as music you've given a 5 star rating), and MC9 automatically makes the playlist. It's incredibly easy once you get the hang of it. Not to mention that MC9 is an all in one program (rips/encodes, burns, etc.). You can create playlists wether you are mirroring your ipod or not. MC9 was developed with the ipod specifically in mind, and synchs as fast or faster than any of the other applications because of it. The downside is it costs $40.00. But to me, it's well worth it...

Apotheos

Timmy Yak said:
I am sure you can with MC9. It works the same way as MMJB.
Please excuse by ignorace, as I didn't know you could in MMJB.

But since the files don't exist on my PC anymore, and MMJB doesn't talk to my iPod anymore, what exactly am I going to make the playlists with?

I'm stuck in a paradigm rut of comprehension, it seems.

Apotheos

dmt1 said:
The downside is it costs $40.00. But to me, it's well worth it... [/B]
Perhaps it is. I'd like to explore all free or bundled options. I'm not particularily interested in spending more money to accomodate Apple's shortcomings in software provision. It just seems....wrong.

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
Where are your music files? You need them on your computer in order to make playlists. Please explain.

Apotheos

Timmy Yak said:
Where are your music files? You need them on your computer in order to make playlists. Please explain.
My thoughts exactly. My original question was:

Is there any way to create playlists when you are *not* mirroring your iPod on your computer?

To save disk space I rip files, use "Add from Directory" in EphPod, and then delete the files from the PC. As such I've never been able to use Playlists. I was wondering if there is any software to create playlists based on the files *on the iPod*.

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
Apotheos said:
My thoughts exactly. My original question was:

Is there any way to create playlists when you are *not* mirroring your iPod on your computer?

To save disk space I rip files, use "Add from Directory" in EphPod, and then delete the files from the PC. As such I've never been able to use Playlists. I was wondering if there is any software to create playlists based on the files *on the iPod*.
That I know of, you can only create playlists from your iPod if you are "mirroring" it.

Deleting the files from your pc is not a good idea. What happens if your iPod crashes? Then you have to re-rip all your music. The only way I can think of making playlists without the iPod connected is if the files are on your computer.

Apotheos

I'm simply not willing to devote large portions of my hard drive to back up the iPod. I never actually use them anymore, its always the iPod. Since all my MP3's are from actual physical CD's, I don't run the risk of losing any music.

Anyway, Ephpod happily made playlists based of the iPod database. It was a little counter-intuitive (Create New Playlist, Select Songs, Reselect Playlists in the top pane and then the new playlist, drag songs over). So I'm happy.

Due to licensing of the CDDB, I'll be keeping MusicMatch to rip songs, but otherwise I'm MusicMatch free.

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
Apotheos said:

Due to licensing of the CDDB, I'll be keeping MusicMatch to rip songs, but otherwise I'm MusicMatch free.
That's what I did at first, but when I get time I am going to re-rip my whole collection using MC9 so that I can rip them at 192 kbs.

clintb

Apotheos said:
What's with the CDDB licensing that you'd have to stick with MusicMatch? Aren't there plenty of programs that have the same functionality, but with freedb instead?

davebach172

@Apotheos

I'm looking to do pretty much the same thing as you - my pc (only have a laptop) has 10 gig free, and I have a 15gig iPod. I've filled up most of the pc drive with highly encoded mp3's (which I'll reencode/rerip later), but as I can fit more music on the ipod than the hard disk, I wont be able to create playlists on the pc for all the music on the pod - or so I think.

Does Ephpod allow you to create playlists soley based on the iPod contents?

(sorry for asking the question - but I haven't got a firewire equipped pc at work - and it sounds like Ephpod would allow me into the world of playlists, while also letting me grab some hard disk space back on my PC for other things.)

(oh - all my mp3's are also on CDRW and original CD's - used to use them in my dvd player, but the lill iPod has masterfully taken over that task!)

clintb

davebach172 said:
@Apotheos

Does Ephpod allow you to create playlists soley based on the iPod contents?
I'm not Apotheos, but to answer your question. Yes, Ephpod does allow you to create playlist(s) based on the iPod contents. It's very easy actually.

davebach172

Quality!!!

Thats great news! - at last I can use my PC for something other than a glorified mp3 storage area! (Well, I've only had the ipod 4 days, but you get the idea! ;)

Thanks!

clintb

A word or warning though. If you're just going to use your pc as the intermediary storage, then don't use Ephpod's "Synchronize" feature. Just add and delete files manually.