Logitech mm50 & Pure Fi anywhere batteries

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pvermilya

:mad: I posted the following to Logitech's forum after nearly a year of effort to get a satisfactory resolution. While I love my mm50s, this is a serious drawback for anyone considering a Logitech speaker system (mm50 or Pure-Fi Anywhere) and Logitech stubbornly refuses to address it.

RE: mm50 battery: It appears after numerous fruitless inquiries that there is no resolution to the battery replacement question. Logitech is designing the mm50, and its recent upgrade (Pure-Fi Anywhere), to be obsolete once the battery wears out. This is inexcusable in a quality product that is not inexpensive.

Lithium Ion batteries can only be recharged so many times. My perfectly fine set of mm50 speakers do NOT need replacing, they simply need a new battery and they will provide many more years of exemplary service. By refusing to sell a replacement battery to those of us technically proficient enough to replace the existing one, Logitech is - in effect - forcing the consumer to replace an item that does not need replacing. This is exceedingly poor customer service and is, in addition, a poor environmental practice.

About a year ago I brought this to the companies attention and no changes have resulted. Numerous others have complained as well. I have searched the Logitech forum and numerous related i-pod forums where this matter is discussed and have concluded that Logitech - in a cavalier fashion - refuses to address this issue. Their frustrating, and wholly unsatisfactory response is, "the battery is not replaceable". That or they advise you they will forward your complaint to technical support, as they have told numerous others inquiring on this matter, but no resolution is ever offered nor any change made. You cannot even send the unit back and have Logitech replace the battery, it is not an offered service.

This is horrific customer service; obsolescence by design; and environmentally insensitive. I expect more from a company of this caliber. I am confident a tech support person will now respond with a wholly unsatisfactory pat answer that fails to address the specifics of this issue (i.e. we'll look into it), nor provide a solution. That will not do.

These are great speakers. Logitech customers deserve better than to be forced to toss them when the batteries inevitably wear out, which is invariably after the warranty has expired. Why they refuse to provide the technical specifications that would allow a mm50 owner to replace the batteries themselves is beyond me.:confused:

december

the manual that comes with the mm50 claims that the battery is designed to last "for the life of the product" ... implying that it will break before the battery wears out. This just seems false ... there are no moving parts or anything else to wear out, just the battery. I agree that it seems ridiculous not to offer some kind of battery replacement program.

My only real suggestion is to look for used ones on ebay and just view it as a battery replacement cost. Unsatisfying? Yes. If you like the unit and want to keep using it then that is your only option.

Of course if you want to do something illegal and immoral but which would screw over Logitech then you could buy a unit from a store with a return policy and carefully swap batteries between the two units and return the "new" unit with the old battery for a refund. The only other improbable solution is to take the old battery to a tech savvy person and see if he or she can replicate it with off the shelf parts.

pvermilya

Of all the ironies, I actually purchased this unit on e-bay. Thanks for the manual quote, "for the life of the product", how misleading - it's a fact that Lith-ion batteries, while long-lasting, can only take a finite number of charges - they are essentially telling you the life of the unit IS the life of the battery. I am tech savvy enough to replace the battery myself, but some guidance from Logitech on specs, etc would be most helpful. They won't even provide that.

Sparkee

I beleive the batteries specs are 3.7 volts and 2150mah, it been awhile since I had a look in mine, but the specs are on a label on the battery. The battery pack looked like it had two cells a little bigger round than a "AA" cell and half the width. The hard part is finding a 2150mah rechargeable li-ion cell, I believe some camera batteries are similar in size.

The battery pack is under the speakers and circuit board along the bottom on one side leaving the other side open for more cells. I was going to double the battery capacity by hooking another pack in parallel but I couldn't find any 2150mah cells. There are lots of smaller capacity cells readily available but no matches.

pvermilya

I am going to continue to research this until I come up with a fix. I am intrigued with your reference to space for more cells; it would be great to not only replace the battery, but to add additional capacity. It is incredibly poor customer service that Logitech refuses to provide any assistance on this issue, or to make available a replacement battery. I will post here if I come up with a fix.

drice2k

MM50 symptom of dead battery

Our MM50 just died last week. First, the blue charging light stopped flashing, and then
when the battery totally drained, it just stopped working all together.

Checked the AC/DC adapter, and it was fine on the multimeter. Does this look like a
symptom of the battery just ending life? I figured that since the battery still had a charge when it stopped charging, something else was going on.

Sparkee

I would try and find another adapter to try taking note of the originals power output and connectors polarity. You may already have one around the house. Most power adapter will show full voltage when not loaded. Connecting a bad adapter to a battery will cause the power output to drop.

drice2k

Adapter question

Being cautious, so have a few questions.

The MM50 is marked as 12v 1.5A input. In scanning around the house, I am coming
up with some marked level 1 and level 3 power adapters. Does that matter?

Also, I have some that have 12vdc output, and 1.2A, (from a Big Barbie Jeep) and some others that are 1500ma. Isn't there some room on the amperage, or do I need to find one that is an exact match?

Sparkee

I'm not familiar with the level rating for a power adapter, can't say I've ever come across it. There is some room on the amperage, the 1500ma is equal to 1.5 amps and the 1.2A one should work as well. Make sure the polarity is correct on the connector, the center pin is positive and the outside is negative.

aussie_guy_2008

i am also interested in increasing the battery capacity of my mm50... from 2250 mah.. to twice that or more if its possible but i have no idea how to go about it..
but i would also like to know how to tighten the steel feet because there getting lose ( they have already been tightened and then glued with a very strong glue over a year ago but have loosened again over time )

jarques

My experience in New Zealand with the Logitech MM50 was as follows. Purchased it in early May 2006 costing $248, also purchased a $45 2-year warrenty covering repairs of up to $350. A few weeks ago, it continued to apparently lose its charge although blue light was showing during the re-charge.

Contacted the insurance people as advised by the supplier. First they said that the model was prone to this sort of problem and very hard and costly to repair (!). They therefore were prepared to offer me $198.40 as the current value of a going, second-hand Logitech. I said that wasn't good enough, I wanted a replacement or equivalent.

He then said that he would speak to "someone" and was away from the phone for about half a minute (I guess "someone" was himself). He then said they would send a cheque for $248 to me within 24 hours. The call was recorded and I repeated his offer at the end of it.

So, there we are. I don't know whether to go back to Logitech or not after that experience. The same-looking speakers, now called "Pure Fi" are $249 now. Any thoughts on better options? To see what is available in New Zealand go to #### Smith Electronics in Auckland on the web.

Cheers

jarques

I'm not sure whether the censors thought I was uttering a profanity, but the word expunged before "Smith" is the nickname people give to those called Richard and begins with "D" and has four letters ending with "K". Whew, that seemed to get through!

My cheque has arrived and I've been told the old speakers may be picked up in 30 days but if no one turns up, just to throw them in the rubbish. Have discovered that although they won't re-charge properly, they still function if they are connected to the mains as for charging. I had earlier made the decision that the replacement would probably be a mains-operated radio/speaker so I'll wait for a while.

tangigi

Sparkee said:
I beleive the batteries specs are 3.7 volts and 2150mah, it been awhile since I had a look in mine, but the specs are on a label on the battery. The battery pack looked like it had two cells a little bigger round than a "AA" cell and half the width. The hard part is finding a 2150mah rechargeable li-ion cell, I believe some camera batteries are similar in size.

The battery pack is under the speakers and circuit board along the bottom on one side leaving the other side open for more cells. I was going to double the battery capacity by hooking another pack in parallel but I couldn't find any 2150mah cells. There are lots of smaller capacity cells readily available but no matches.

Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2200 mAh battery with Tab.

Is this it? its approx $6

aklnz

Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere Problem

I have a problem with my Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere in which my ipod classic turned on automatically when sitting on the dock without someone touching the buttons of the speaker and the ipod but the sound did not come out from the speaker (just the screen of the ipod is on). It happened many times and the interval between turning on is unpredictable. It maybe 5 minutes, 15 minutes, one hour or even 3 hours. I think this is a problem. I have already returned the Pure-Fi Anywhere and got the new one, but I stll have the same problem. I do not know whether this is normal for Pure-Fi Anywhere or not. I would thank if the owners of the Pure-Fi Anywhere ann share their expreience. Thanks in advance

Sparkee

tangigi said:

Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2200 mAh battery with Tab.

Is this it? its approx $6
Although it looks like it is the proper specs, it looks to be the size of 1 AA cell which are easy to find. Making a battery pack with it will probably be larger in size and not fit in the space of the original cells.

tangigi

Sparkee said:
Although it looks like it is the proper specs, it looks to be the size of 1 AA cell which are easy to find. Making a battery pack with it will probably be larger in size and not fit in the space of the original cells.

Hello,

If someone decides to take apart their unit, please take a pic of the actual battery. thank you.

Lar

kmart76

Logitech mm50

I have a busted up mm50, just happened (anger issues). I will take it apart and send a pic of the battery in a couple of days. I have two of these and this particular one was having a lot of the same problems that many people have been complaining about. It did not hold a charge, the iPod would just turn on when docking it to mm50 (no sound would come out, but the screen would come on and the iPod would be playing). I love these speakers, but now I'm very disappointed. My other set works great no problems, I don't use it very much (once a month maybe).

tangigi

Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600 mAh Rechargeable Battery with Tabs

Dimensions Diameter: 18.3 +/- 0.1 mm (Max 18.4 mm)
Height: 64.8 +/- 0.2 mm (Max 65.1 mm)

If the existing batteries have the same dimensions, we are in business.