Loaded ipod and new computer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Necro55

Hello,
I suffered a system failure motherboard and boot drive (which housed iTunes). It is not recoverable without data recovery services.

The secondary drive that held the MP3s of the music I have ripped over the years, is fine, and well and in place in my new system. I know iTunes is particular about having the directory and drive letter structure being intact.

So, new computer, old drive is the same letter and old directories are present and working. NOw I do not have iTunes on it, however I have my ipod that I have years worth of music on as well as playlists etc etc on and it works fine. I also want to do some more lists and have more music to add.

This brings me to my current question, is there a way to bring my ipod back into a new clean install of iTunes? I want to drop my ipod back into a new load of iTunes just as it is, add more music into it and resync it. How do I go about this?

cjmnews

Staff member
Since you don't have your original iTunes library (iTunes Library.itl) the paths and drive letters no longer matter. You don't have you playlists anymore either.

If you have a non-IOS iPod, getting the songs back is fairly straight forward, and free. IOS you have to buy software for it. Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article

You will have to install iTunes to follow the above process.

You MIGHT (but I doubt) be able to get your playlists too if you purchase software to help you.

Necro55

Honestly I am not sure if mine is IOS or not. it is a first gen Ipod Video that I have had since release like 8 or 10 years, something like that.

I do not mind a software that would remove everything in it's entirety, I will check the link you gave, but, if there is some software that others would recommend here for that task I have no problem paying normal software app/licensing fees, just not the 600 min to 3k peak for data recovery.

Cold Irons

Well...that's certainly a non-IOS iPod :)

Look the link from cjmnews. With an older iPod like this, you can easily pull all of the song files off for free (I've done it for many friends). If you want to also get your playlists, playcounts, etc. from the iPod, there are 3rd party software utilities in this article that will do that. I've use "CopyTrans" to do this for my son's iPod, but that was probably 8 years ago. There may be better solutions available now, but thera are a number of thes and they are all pretty cheap.

Necro55

Thanks for the follow uip, it is definitely appreciated.
That is encouraging, after some of my own reading I was aiming for CopyTrans already Im glad to hear someone else here has used it and liked the results.

OK, followup question then.
Once everything is recovered and good to go, what would you all recommend as best practices for keeping this from happening again, obviously, you cant keep drives from crapping out, BUT what would you recommend as best practices to avoid these issues in the future?

Thanks again for the advice!

Cold Irons

There are many approaches to this; the best is to have a USB external hard drive & backup your whole iTunes directory (so music files and the all-important iTunes Library.itl file) to this external drive on a regular basis.

Me - I'm both paranoid & lazy. My approach may be over-kill for most.

My iTune is on a desktop, so has a couple of extenal drives attached all the time. I have backup software that is scheduled to do an incremental backup my whole iTunes directory at 2 AM any night that I leave the computer on over night. I also have another backup of ONLY the iTunes Library.itl file scheduled every day at 1030 PM, so I don't lose any library stuff that happens to be updated during a day. This itl file backup goes into "dated/time-stamped" directories, so I always have a backup copy of my itl file every day for the last month. Like I said...I'm paranoid.

Necro55

Thanks for all the help, even if it was belated. Had some power outages that made my PC not terribly happy, so I had to fix that.
Got the fuill version of Copytrans, and it seemed to work pretty well. Was not aware that after the import I would have to have itunes clean my ipod off again and resync it with its own data, but if it works I really dont care.

This was a HUGE help!