• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Live8 - Who's watching?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Photonicspartan

Music To Your Ears
Website
www.xanga.com
jeff25624 said:
The ironic thing is, that even if the G8 leaders followed through on most of the "demands" of Live 8, it would not make a difference. The situation would remain the same.
The first live aid was a trumendous help in africa. They even had a girl who's life was saved thanks to Live aid she just got out of agricultural college. even one life saved is still better than saving none in my opinion.

Jackonicko

Retired
He's just a Contrarian.

If the demands posed by the Live 8 organisers were to be put into effect there would be a HUGE impact on global poverty, evcen though corruption and inefficiency would absorb some of the funds.

Or perhaps there is no problem, just like there's no global warming, and just like the Holocaust never happened.....

jeff25624

jPodder
Website
dailyvault.com
Jackonicko said:
He's just a Contrarian.

If the demands posed by the Live 8 organisers were to be put into effect there would be a HUGE impact on global poverty, evcen though corruption and inefficiency would absorb some of the funds.

Or perhaps there is no problem, just like there's no global warming, and just like the Holocaust never happened.....
The problem isn't debt, it's the mindsety of the people themselves. They have to want to change, and for the better. The situation will never resolve itself. I mean, how many bilions and billions of dollars have been pumped into Africa already at this point? Has it it had the effect we hoped it would? Absolutely not. Throwing money and reducing debt does not change the fact that politically and socially, Africa is at a place we cannot reach.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
I WANT TO WATCH IT BUT AOL ONLINE IS SO SLOW!!!!

Singaporean TV doesn't air it either...In fact, it wasn't even on the news..

melsmusic

The problem isn't debt, it's the mindsety of the people themselves. They have to want to change, and for the better. The situation will never resolve itself. I mean, how many bilions and billions of dollars have been pumped into Africa already at this point? Has it it had the effect we hoped it would? Absolutely not. Throwing money and reducing debt does not change the fact that politically and socially, Africa is at a place we cannot reach.
I do agree with parts of what you are saying. There is no doubt throwing money at the problem will not solve it. I do think that we can reach Africa though.

We need to educate them on how to produce food etc for themselves.

If the money raised could go into these type of programs which already do exist (one example - goats are delivered to farmers and they are taught how to make money from their milk etc and care for them) ... and more education in this area eventually things could improve.

Jackonicko

Retired
"I mean, how many bilions and billions of dollars have been pumped into Africa already at this point? Has it it had the effect we hoped it would?"

No. Of course it hasn't. But has it saved lives? Has it improved the situation in some of the countries? Yes, hugely. Can we in the West afford it? Yes, easily. Are we morally obliged to TRY to do something? Yes, absolutely.

Aid given to some African countries has been relatively well used, while in others it has been largely soaked up by corrupt Governments. That's not an excuse for doing nothing - it's a reason to target aid more precisiely, which is what those who backed Live 8 want to achieve.

It's easy to parrot the cynical view that Aid is something givcen by poor people in the developed world to rich people in the Third world, but that doesn't make it right.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
I just bought the Make Poverty History wristbands for £6 including shipping. I'm not much into wristbands (its too highstreet) but I thought it'd be the best way for us to make a contribution.

If 25p can save a life, I don't see why we can't give a try.

Maybe poverty won't be ended at G8 but its a realisable aim within 2 decades if we keep at it. For all the nonsense on the Iraq war and his "feud" with Gordon Brown, I think this is the legacy Tony Blair wants to leave 10 Downing Street with and its a good one.