• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Live8 - Who's watching?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Website
www.flickr.com
Watched The Who...That was all I cared about. Though MTV/VH1 did a TERRIBLE job at covering it...would've used the AOL feed, but I don't have WMP on this computer.

Seriously, does MTV even know anything about music anymore? They didn't show the first song "Who Are You?" Then during "Won't Get Fooled Again" they kept cutting away from Pete's trademark windmills to the stupid drummer (WHO ISN'T A MEMBER OF THE WHO!!!). Gah...

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Nice to see Pink Floyd perform again - 24 yrs since they last did.

I just realised I must have seen one of their last gigs together.....The Wall in Dortmund in 1981.....Whoa, memories....:cool:

...I still have the badge as well....the T-shirt hasnt fitted me for a loooong time now ;)

-James

Website
www.google.co.uk
Saw Green Day performing American Idiot in Berlin earlier, that was pretty good. And Linkin Park and Jay Z performing together in Philadelphia earlier was kinda fantastic.

rooster

Oberon Drinker
london does have the best line up. the tv coverage is terrible you would think they would just show the bands but no its all interviews and garbage like that. but yeah sign the petition its for a good cause even though the G8 is already wiping the slate clean as it is the live 8 show is for more relief money than debt forgiveness.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
rooster said:
... even though the G8 is already wiping the slate clean as it is the live 8 show is for more relief money than debt forgiveness.
rooster,

"Two weeks ago 280 million Africans woke up for the first time in their lives without owing you or me a penny from the burden of debt that has crippled them and their countries for so long. The deal struck by G7 Finance Ministers was a victory for the millions of people in the campaigns around the world. But the deal affects, immediately, only 18 countries. There are twice that number in need of help, including Nigeria. And though debt cancellation should be directed in ways that reduce poverty and improve governance it must not come with arduous economic strings attached."
Source - Live 8

It is a start - but they can finish it if they have the desire...

Jackonicko

Retired
Who was the drummer with the Who? I thought he was brilliant - way better than Kenny Jones and almost as great as Zak Starkey has been - so better than the patchy Moon, too?

And who was the guitarist with Maca? He looked very familiar.

Hyde Park has just ended.

Plus points: A few GREAT performances - the Who, Floyd (with the exception of a dire Comfortably Numb), Stereophonics, Robbie Williams, Scissor Sisters
Good performances from Razorlight, Madonna (even though she sang badly flat), Joss Stone, the Killers and Velvet Revolver, U2

Minus points: Way too much downbeat and miserable stuff (especially early on)
No Oasis, Clapton, Queen, Stones, Bowie or Jools Holland.
No 22-20s, Music, Franz Ferdinand or any upbeat newcomers (you guys got the Kaisers!)
Stupidly long gaps that could and should have been shorter or filled by co-ordinated fills from the other European concerts, as happened during the original Live Aid.
Awful TV coverage, with time wasted on stupid Vox Pops with the public, who (surprise surprise) came out with inarticulate cliches, and with celebrity liggers backstage. Who cares what Neil Morrissey thought?
The political films seen between acts by the audience went largely unseen by the TV audience. Coldplay's Chris Martin said: "And now you'll see a film if the BBC is doing its job properly." It wasn't. We didn't. But we did get some stilted piece of lowest common denominator interview with Ferne Cotton and some other half-wit. And throughout a long afternoon we got a lot of crap from Jonathan Ross and others.
No prospect of seeing the other concerts in full.

They've now started showing Philly - great start from the Kaisers and then by the Black Eyed Peas (who injected even more adrenalin) and even Bon Jovi (who kept it rocking).

And big ups to the Black Eyed Pea (dunno his name) who urged the US audience to educate itself about the issues. The US has more heart than any nation on earth, but 70% of you don't have passports and your news is insular and inward looking beyond belief. The rest of the planet needs active US participation and interest.

kevmakara

The Tie-Dye Alchemist
I was there today! I was at Live 8 in Philadelphia all day!

I must agree that London did have the best lineup. The only wothwhile bands at the Philly one were Dave Matthews Band, Rob Thomas, and Stevie Wonder. What a crwod though! It was pretty cool, the only problem now is the cleanup. It needs to be done before July 4th and the Welcome America celebration. Stupid people and their litter, polluting and killing the earht *grumbles*.

melsmusic

It's on our free to air now. I just saw Madonna. She did a good job of Like A Prayer.

Photonicspartan

Music To Your Ears
Website
www.xanga.com
Man I tivo'd it. It was amazaing, just knowing there is still good in the world today. I signed the petition. the music was good, especially from london, coldplay was great. And I really liked the Cover of We are the champions by green day. One of the best days in music history.

Emultion_Rawks

Resident iLounge Rebel
Website
www.thedigitaloasis.net
Photonicspartan said:
One of the best days in music history.
You have got that right!:)

Bob Geldof is a terrific man, and deserves so much praise. I really hope this finally gets the politions aware of all the poverty.

There will be NO side stepping this one guys.

jeff25624

jPodder
Website
dailyvault.com
If these musicians wanted to make a difference they'd devote their lives to helping the downtrodden. Performing a few songs for one day is a completely pointless gesture. I am willing to bet the majority of the artists wanted the publicity, and don't care. Some do, most don't. The ironic thing is, that even if the G8 leaders followed through on most of the "demands" of Live 8, it would not make a difference. The situation would remain the same.