Listing indiviual artists in playlist

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

funkyg

Hi!

In iTunes on the PC can you create a playlist that will give me the 1st song by an artist?
ie, I want to list all my artists in a playlist to but only have one entry each for them rather than the hundreds.

Thanks.

Mike.

dtcarson

Senor Lounger
So you want a playlist, where each artist is represented, but only the 'first' song by that artist is in the playlist?
Hmm....well, first I'm curious as to why you want this :)
But..
Assuming your tracks are all tagged I guess you could start with a SPL that pulls in all track number 1s. That would give you the first track on every cd. That's a start.
You could manually select the first album for each artist, do Get Info, and label them as Disc Number 1, then add that criteria to your SPL. That would be a pain if you have a large library...
hmm, I'm stuck there. I don't know of any way to do a criteria like 'artist name not duplicated in SPL'.

funkyg

Hey! Cheers for the quick reply.
Yes my music is tagged, so the track 1 idea is indeed a good idea.

Basically, I just want a list of artists that I have in my collection.
The reason I want to do this is because I have (what I think) is quite a large collection, and if I'm scrolling though the collection in iTunes I have to go through pages and pages or the same artist before I come across one that I want to listen to. Then when I'd seen the artist I could go back to the full library listing and select the specific album I want to hear. I rarely go into iTunes thinking of a specific album that I want to listen to, I usually scroll until I'm inspired!

Thanks for the help.

Mike.

dtcarson

Senor Lounger
No problem.
Given your second post, it's even easier.
You can turn on the Browse button [upper right corner of itunes, looks like an eye] and that should give you three new columns, Genre, Artist, Album, that act as filters, moving from left to right. You can drag the panes vertically so they're taller and you can see more things in each one. So if you're in the mood for Rock, click the Rock genre; in my case, that drops artist count from 238 to 56; then I can scroll in the Artist column, and say "Oh, I'm in the mood to listen to King Missle'; click that in the Artist column, then only King Missile albums are shown on the Album pane.
Or just leave Genre selected as "all" to view every artist.
Try the Browse button, if you haven't already.

On the ipod, of course, just go Music -> Artists and scroll up and down till something jumps out at you.

funkyg

Perfect! That's EXACTLY what I wanted.
I'd never used the browse button before, although I can't imagine not using it now you've pointed it out.
Thanks.

Mike.