Listening To Only Audio From A Movie

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

happygiant

I have a 5.5 30gb, and i have a couple of questions about it.

I have some movies on it (MP4 for ipod). When im at work it would be cool to start a movie
and just listen to the audio from it. i know that if i set the video to "tv out", then the ipod screen will show the cover art and status bar like a regular song. that works great and is exactly what i want it to do.

Now for the questions: if i do this, will it use up the battery the same as if i were watching the video on the screen or on my television? i know the backlight stays on, but i can turn that down to dim to minimaize the battery drain. will the battery think im playing a movie, or will it think im playing an MP3 with the backlight on? aside from ripping the audio separately, is there a way to just play just the audio from a movie without killing the battery as if the movie were playing?

thanks

Cask

It drains the battery not as fast as on-screen video, but still pretty fast, as there is still video processing. A better way to do what to want is to label the movies as music videos, that way you will be able to hear them from your music library like you do with any regular song without any video processing.

happygiant

excellent tip. then i can still watch them on my TV. Also everything would be the same, i would just have to go to music videos instead of movies. great tip. thanks.

EDIT:

well, i have to change my story here... in theory that was great advice, but when you do that, and go to music--and find the movie, once you hit play, the ipod freezes. every time. i tried it with 3 movies. miami vice, dogma, and the illusionist. all of em did the same thing. i had to reset my ipod to get it unstuck. i went back and switched them from music video to movie, but now the dvd arts are scrambled. its really a mess. even if i delete the movie and add it back to itunes, the arts are still scrambled. it just caused a huge mess in my itunes. i guess it only works on shorter videos like a music video.
thanks for tryin to help cask, but it just didnt work for me. =/ thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Cask

Damn, I thought that would help, it has been working for me, it has to be related to the encoder you used to create the movie file or something

happygiant

dunno whats going on. i have a program that can extract the audio but i didnt really wanna do that. ha ha. lazy i guess. it actually coverts the dvd to an avi but in the process it extracts the audio into a wav file and then converts it to an mp3 to add to the video later. just go to the folder inbetween processes, and copy the mp3. movie audio. little hassle, but it works ok. i just let it run in the background.