Linkin Park? Boy Band Or Rock Band?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MartyMcPod

New member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
903
Points
0
They are terrible. I think they are one of the worst bands in existance at the moment...

Oh well.
 

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
Joined
Oct 14, 2003
Messages
2,699
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Sydney, Australia
I really try to hate Linkin Park, because they produce generic rubbish. But I just can't help but like some of their songs.

And yes, they are a band consisting of boys.
 

pank2002

Feel the ?
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
226
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Danmark
MartyMcPod is right on!

It's a rock band, though, considering of boys. Would you call Nirvana a boy band ;)
 

atomx

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
165
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
Yeah--there is something inherently inauthentic about this band--every time I hear one of their songs or see one of their videos, the first thing that comes to my mind is "fake anger."

Yuck.
 

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
648
Points
0
Location
Lat: 47.64 Lon: -122.38
They don't offend me in a way that Limp Biskit does but I totally agree with the fake anger thing. Although, the majority of bands that portray anger in their music are in the fake anger category. Bands that are passionate about their message be it political or otherwise can do a nice job in authenticating their anger.

If there is a spectrum with Limp Bizkit at one end and Rage Against The Machine at the other I would put Linkin Park somewhere just short of the middle. Fair enough?
 

-James

New member
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Messages
1,925
Points
0
Age
31
Location
England
Website
www.google.co.uk
I used to like them back in the day when i was just getting into metal/nu metal and stuff. But now its struck me just how crap they are.
 

JCRAcer43

New member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
17
Points
0
Age
31
Location
NJ
Hybrid theory wash okay but the collision course thing killed them!!
 

atomx

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
165
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
NiTRO said:
the majority of bands that portray anger in their music are in the fake anger category. Bands that are passionate about their message be it political or otherwise can do a nice job in authenticating their anger.
Your comments make me think of the following questions:

Why is Linkin Park fake and other bands authentic?

What is it, EXACTLY, that they are lacking in their music/personas/lyrics that makes us think they are inauthentic?

Give examples of bands that have that "certain something" that seems true.
 

snowgirl87

New member
Joined
Nov 3, 2003
Messages
380
Points
0
Age
34
Location
usa
they are so a rock band.....chester had a drug addiction......that is so hardcore.....NOT.....boy band
 

atomx

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
165
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
snowgirl87 said:
they are so a rock band.....chester had a drug addiction......that is so hardcore.....NOT.....boy band
This is the criteria for authenticity? This is what makes you like them? I don't get it. Does this mean if someone from The Backstreet Boys becomes a drug addict, that they are "hardcore" too?
 

rogermexico

New member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
402
Points
0
Location
Sunset Strip
atomx said:
This is the criteria for authenticity? This is what makes you like them? I don't get it. Does this mean if someone from The Backstreet Boys becomes a drug addict, that they are "hardcore" too?
Right on. And atomx, someone somewhere would buy it.

the starmaking apparatus romanticizes "drug addiction". Like it has some sort of dark glamour instead of mostly involving lying to your friends, not being where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there, and getting all righteously self-dramatizing about it all.
 

atomx

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
165
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
rogermexico said:
the starmaking apparatus romanticizes "drug addiction". Like it has some sort of dark glamour instead of mostly involving lying to your friends, not being where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there, and getting all righteously self-dramatizing about it all.
Yeah, and possibly destroying your life and ruining your relationships and stealing from your family and catching HIV, and spreading HIV, and becoming homeless, blah, blah, blah, and possibly dying young. Sexy and hardcore. :rolleyes:
 

Krit

New member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
35
Points
0
Age
38
Location
VA
Adam said:
I really try to hate Linkin Park, because they produce generic rubbish. But I just can't help but like some of their songs.

And yes, they are a band consisting of boys.
Yes because every other band out there is completely unique and doesn't make anything like any other band, ever. Right.

I like how you guys are bashing LP without reasoning. I guess it's the "cool" thing to do nowadays.

At least present reasoning behind your choice.
 

rogermexico

New member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
402
Points
0
Location
Sunset Strip
Krit said:
I like how you guys are bashing LP without reasoning. I guess it's the "cool" thing to do nowadays.

At least present reasoning behind your choice.
Just so's we're clear: bashing Linkin Pizzark has always been cool.

That said, I don't have any particular problem with them. They're just not very interesting. They combine elements of NIN's hooky industrial, RAM's righteous metalstrom, and Bizkit's mook-hop, and strip out the parts that hit-radio listeners might find hard to swallow: NIN's psychosexual intensity, RAM's polarizing politics, Fred Durst.

They're accessible, nonthreatening, and have a knack for pop melodies. And they've built an empire on a very limited body of work. (Remix! Remix! Remix!) What's potentially annoying about LP is what atomx identified as their "fake anger" -- where NIN and RAM built enemies big enough to fight, LP seems mostly to gripe loudly about how lame it is to be a middle-class kid.

Which, to be fair, a lot of record buyers can relate to.
 

neb

New member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
1,834
Points
0
Ok, I dislike Nu Metal, it's not my cup of tea. I've never been a fan of LP in the sense that I've never considered looking at their album in more detail. However, the mash-up with Jay-Z was pretty good, and I enjoyed it. Although it hasn't encouraged me to explore them further.
 
Top