Library Manager and file organization.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

aldebertus

I have just started to use Library Manager 3.0 script to deal with the fact that my main iTunes Music Folder is on an external hard drive that is not always connected to my notebook. The instructions say that it is very important to have both the "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized" option and the "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to the Library" option deselected. Why is this? Both features seem very useful. Not having them is inconvenient.

I have iTunes set up so that my iTunes Music folder is on the external drive. (Of course, when it is not plugged in iTunes reverts to the Library on my computer.) When I add a track to my iTunes Library I want it copied into my iTunes Music Folder. Right now, I am leaving "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to the Library" selected. I have deselected "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized" but everynow and then I turn it on so that my folders will be cleaned up, and then I turn it off right afterward. Based on the warning in the Library Manager script instructions, I'm sort of expecting for a big mess to result eventually from my disregard.

Can someone explain the logic behind all this? Will I be okay since my iTunes Music Folder is located on my external drive?

Website
dougscripts.com
The reason is that iTunes may organize the designated Music folder (set in Advanced Prefs) when that may not be where your current library is pointing. If you have "Copy files to ... " unchecked, "added" tracks' files will stay where they are, however, iTunes will always import CD files to your designated Music folder.

You can probably safely continue to do as you are doing as long as you know you are organizing the designated Music folder only, even when you have a library whose files are on another drive (in this case, your internal drive).

Last edited: