less than 4 hours of battery life

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

thesexybeast

this is getting pretty ridiculous, i get somewhere from 3 hours to maybe 4 hours of battery life at a full charge, i do use the backlight at 5 seconds, no equalizer or shuffle and all that, and i do pick songs but not that frequently. is this what all of you are getting? btw, ipod only 2 month old 15gb brand new when i got it with blue backlight.

Kenner

dirty
When you say it's 3-4 hours you mean up to a point where the ipod doesn't play anymore? I know when I have lights on, shuffle, and constantly switching songs the bar will drop all the way down to one bar, but once I just let it play it'll climb back to 2-3 bars.

Mancunian

I get about the same - lucky if it will play for four hours from a full charge before shutting down!

That's with the backlight totally switched off, no shuffle - and quite frankly it's really getting on my nerves now. For the best part of ?400 I think I'm within my rights to expect it to last me beyond lunch time on a work day!

Are they fixing it with a firmware update or something? I've only had it two weeks and am tempted to take it back and get a Zen or something?

spumpkin

Im getting the same short battery problem as you guys. Im lucky if i can get more than 4 hours of playback on my ipod, with my backlight and eq off. I didnt really do a full charge when i got my ipod. Will this affect the battery life in any way?

What i normally do to charge the ipod is to leave it overnight with the hard disk mode switched of (so that the ipod hd doesn't spin). But i still get the short batt life. A visit to Apple care? :(

ashawley

Website
www.
First off, never turn the backlight on. It kills battery life.

For all of you, do the battery test.

1. Fully Charge iPod
2. Play all your songs (Browse>Songs>All)
3. Set volume to around 60%
4. Leave the iPod alone and see how long it plays

Note: Alarms & Backlight should be off. You should be running the latest firmware for your iPod (1.3 for 1st and 2nd geners, 2.0.1 for 3rd geners).

If you're not getting at least 6 hours I'd send it in.

spumpkin: Just a tip, make sure that when you leave your iPod connected overnight that you unmount it. Disabling firewire disk mode will not prevent the drive from being accessed. It should not be flasing "Do Not Disconnect" when you leave it in overnight.

Adam

mkgordon

iPod battery drain: Not quite that bad, but . . .

I get a fair bit more than 4 hours of battery life from my iPod - when I test it under Apple-specified conditions (Though it seems like I get something like that when I'm actually using it!).

I've been concerned about my battery underperforming since I bought my 15Gb "3G" iPod in June. But I didn't really use it much at first, because I didn't have access to a computer with Jaguar and a large enough hard drive. I've just been able to use it properly in the past couple of weeks (when I figured out how to use manual synchronizing so I could use my OS9 machine), just in time for my 90 days of Apple helpline support to run out.

I've got to the point of doing the battery tests Apple suggests. You can see the test at:

Apple iPod Battery Test

Some questions:

1. Is the 3G iPod rated at 8 hours or not? If so, why does Apple still say 10 hours on this test?

2. If I turn off everything (backlight and equalizer) and set the volume at half-max when my iPod is just playing the same album of 3-8 minute MP3 songs recorded at 160Kbps over and over again while sitting in a drawer in my work desk, I get just under 8 hours, call it 7.5 hours. Is this a fair test? If I have to use it under such ideal conditions to get anything like the 8 hours, is it fair to say I'm getting 8 hours of actual use?

3. When I do the same test with the equalizer on I get about 6.5 hours. Does it make sense that the equalizer can be such a big battery drain?

4. Has anyone run this test and found that they get MORE than the 8 hours on a similar iPod?

5. Has anyone found that installing iPod software version 2.0.1 made much of a difference to battery performance over 2.0? I haven't installed it yet because I don't yet have access to a machine running OSX.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this, because I'm considering whether I need to send the unit in for warranty repair.

Thanks,

Mike Gordon
Toronto