"Last Played" date the same for each song?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Submeg

Hi all,

I have had this problem for a while now. About 6 months ago, I noticed that the "last played" date for each song that had been played in my library was stuck on 27/6/2010. It updates the time of day correctly, but the date is stuck. Now, on this day, I'm not sure what happened, but I think I did an iTunes update, but I can't be certain.

I have restored the iPod and it doesn't look like that is the problem.

I am running a Mac on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a). After going into System Profiler, it seems that all my dates are set at 27/6/2010...all "last modified" dates are 27/6/2010....I thought this was just an iTunes problem...

Has anyone seen this before?

Submeg

I have done as desired in the mentioned steps, but no change. Hmm, dead battery? The clock is fine (on the desktop)? It shows the correct date and time? However, when I went into the System Profiler, it showed at the top righthand corner of the window: 27/6/2010 7:13 PM?

Sparkee

Odd, somethings not updating the time with the rest of the system. Does the date and time change in System Profiler if you select View/Refresh? The time does not update here automatically. The time displayed is when the last snap shot of your system was taken, but it should be the time when you opened it.

I did a quick search and haven't found any related topics. You may want to check another User account or create another to see if the issue is only with that User or the whole system.

Cold Irons

Does this just happen to iTunes songs, or are other files mis-dated? Edit a spreadsheet or document & verify that the "date modified" is correct. If it is a computer problem, it should exist for all files.

Sparkee

Yes, by all means, you should check the "Modified" or "Created" date for any regularly modified or new file/folder.

If it is a computer problem, it should exist for all files.
This is what I suspect since the date in the upper right corner of the System Profiler should be the time the window is opened. This time is the time the "snap shot" of the system was taken. It does not change unless you refreshing System Profiler or close it and open a new window.

Submeg

Odd, somethings not updating the time with the rest of the system. Does the date and time change in System Profiler if you select View/Refresh? The time does not update here automatically. The time displayed is when the last snap shot of your system was taken, but it should be the time when you opened it.

I did a quick search and haven't found any related topics. You may want to check another User account or create another to see if the issue is only with that User or the whole system.
Ok, so I have created a new user, and the date at the top of the system profiler is correct! What does that mean? When I went into iTunes and my iPhone was connected, all the last played dates were correct! I went back to my other account and the dates are still the same. What can I do in this case?

Submeg

Yes, by all means, you should check the "Modified" or "Created" date for any regularly modified or new file/folder.

This is what I suspect since the date in the upper right corner of the System Profiler should be the time the window is opened. This time is the time the "snap shot" of the system was taken. It does not change unless you refreshing System Profiler or close it and open a new window.
I have checked the dates of some recently created files and they are showing the correct date. It seems like the system itself is stuck on 27/6/2010?

Submeg

Does this just happen to iTunes songs, or are other files mis-dated? Edit a spreadsheet or document & verify that the "date modified" is correct. If it is a computer problem, it should exist for all files.
It seems to be just iTunes songs...even when I go into the songs through the hardrive (they are on an external drive) they show different dates modified, but all the last play dates are 27/6/2010. A weird thing though, when I play a song, it will update the time, but not the date?

On the other user account, they are working correctly. Not sure what is going on? :(

Sparkee

Just to clarify, even if the songs are played in iTunes the dates are not updating? Or is it just when syncing the iPod?

Ok, so I have created a new user, and the date at the top of the system profiler is correct!
That narrows it down to a problem with your user account and not a system problem.

I have checked the dates of some recently created files and they are showing the correct date. It seems like the system itself is stuck on 27/6/2010?
I got the impression from your first post that the modified date on all your files were the same. Here you say new files are showing the proper date. If a new file is showing the proper date I don't think it's a system issue inside your user account.

It seems to be just iTunes songs...even when I go into the songs through the hardrive (they are on an external drive) they show different dates modified, but all the last play dates are 27/6/2010.
Playing the song in iTunes should update the "Last Played" in iTunes. This will not change the files "Last Modified" date since it the file was not changed. If you updated something in the songs Get Info window in iTunes then the "Date Modified" will change since the info in the tag was changed.

Try re-installing iTunes. If that doesn't fix try forcing itunes to write a new preference file, close iTunes. Open finder and browse to YOURUser/Library/Preferences and look for "com.apple.iTunes.plist" file. Rename it to "com.apple.iTunes.plistBAK". Once you start iTunes again it will write a new preference file and all your settings in iTunes Preferences will go back to the default settings. Plays, ratings and other data will not be effected and the new .plist can be deleted and name changed back on the old one if necessary.

I'm still not clear if this happening in other areas of your user account or localized to iTunes but it does seem to be localized to your user and not system wide sine the new user account was OK. Since it is not happening to a newly created user account the more drastic fix would be to move your data over to a new account. You may be able to do this relatively easily using Migration Assistant and a Time Machine backup, however it may transfer the file causing the issue as well. It is relatively ease to move mail, address books, iPhoto and iTunes Libraries without losing their meta data to create a fresh account.

If you have easy access to an Apple Store I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar. You may also find more knowledgeable people in Apples Discussions. Post in the Leopard forum, you'll probably get a better response.

S2_Mac

Well, if the problem does not occur at all in the test account, then most likely (98% chance) there's something amiss in your normal, everyday user account. In your normal account, what shows up in System Preferences->Accounts->Login Items? You'll at least have "iTunes Helper" there; what else is listed? Are there any 3rd party "panes" in System Preferences? (You'll see them at the very bottom of the window.) In your normal account, does the problem only occur in iTunes and System Profiler, or do you see it in other applications and/or files? Any type of customizing widget or app could be the culprit....

At the very least, you can use something like Leopard Cache Cleaner or Cocktail to do a "deep clean" and see if that helps. You might also be able to pin down the cause by using something like Find Any File to locate any files created on June 27, 2010 (click the Find button with Option key held down to search everything as root).

Submeg

Just to clarify, even if the songs are played in iTunes the dates are not updating? Or is it just when syncing the iPod?

That narrows it down to a problem with your user account and not a system problem.

I got the impression from your first post that the modified date on all your files were the same. Here you say new files are showing the proper date. If a new file is showing the proper date I don't think it's a system issue inside your user account.

Playing the song in iTunes should update the "Last Played" in iTunes. This will not change the files "Last Modified" date since it the file was not changed. If you updated something in the songs Get Info window in iTunes then the "Date Modified" will change since the info in the tag was changed.

Try re-installing iTunes. If that doesn't fix try forcing itunes to write a new preference file, close iTunes. Open finder and browse to YOURUser/Library/Preferences and look for "com.apple.iTunes.plist" file. Rename it to "com.apple.iTunes.plistBAK". Once you start iTunes again it will write a new preference file and all your settings in iTunes Preferences will go back to the default settings. Plays, ratings and other data will not be effected and the new .plist can be deleted and name changed back on the old one if necessary.

I'm still not clear if this happening in other areas of your user account or localized to iTunes but it does seem to be localized to your user and not system wide sine the new user account was OK. Since it is not happening to a newly created user account the more drastic fix would be to move your data over to a new account. You may be able to do this relatively easily using Migration Assistant and a Time Machine backup, however it may transfer the file causing the issue as well. It is relatively ease to move mail, address books, iPhoto and iTunes Libraries without losing their meta data to create a fresh account.

If you have easy access to an Apple Store I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar. You may also find more knowledgeable people in Apples Discussions. Post in the Leopard forum, you'll probably get a better response.
Ok, I may have been confusing...Will explain better...

1. If I play the songs on iTunes or my iPod, they both only ever show 27/6/2010.
2. It seems that only the play dates of files in iTunes are affected. Files that I have created (documents, spreadsheets, audio files etc) Have the correct date.
3. My System Profiler date is incorrect and showing 27/6/2010 even after refreshing
4. The Last modified date is then no longer an issue.

I tried to reinstall iTunes, but that didn't change anything. I then tried to create a new preferences file, but that wiped my iTunes library, so now rebuilding it. Hopefully it may work after this?

Submeg

....and creating a new user account fixes the issue, both in System Profiler and Itunes

Sparkee

I then tried to create a new preferences file, but that wiped my iTunes library, so now rebuilding it.
This shouldn't happen since it has little to do with the Library and only save the iTunes Preferences. Unless you are not using the default location for your iTunes Media folder. Even then it can be corrected by resetting the location after in the iTunes Preferences/ Advanced. Even then it could be corrected by deleting the new plist file and renaming the old one back to it's original name.

Submeg

This shouldn't happen since it has little to do with the Library and only save the iTunes Preferences. Unless you are not using the default location for your iTunes Media folder. Even then it can be corrected by resetting the location after in the iTunes Preferences/ Advanced. Even then it could be corrected by deleting the new plist file and renaming the old one back to it's original name.
I know it shouldn't have, but I don't know what happened? Very weird.

I did a safe boot, and went to System Profiler, and in both Safe mode and non safe mode, both were saying 27/6/2010 after pressing refresh.

I just installed and ran "Find Any File"...even when I try to find files BEFORE the 27/6/2010, the files returned all have the date modified as 27/6/2010!!! From the looks of it, I may have installed Open Office on that day and something to do with Java? (uno_packages?)

I have also removed all programs from the Login items, I will do a fresh startup to see if that does anything. I did have Nike+ in there and I have iAntivirus running also?

I've also noticed in Skype that all the comments made are with the date as 27/6/2010?

I will try Leopard Cache Cleaner and Cocktail tomorrow, don't have time at the moment. Will also post this on a Mac board to see what people say.

Thanks for the ideas people, I think it's getting closer!

Submeg

Just installed cocktail, what function should I use to try and resolve this?

Submeg

Ok, I have tried all of those, and found no corrupted files. It seems weird considering the other user profile fixes the issue. Wouldnt that mean there is a corrupted file?

Submeg

Just created a new user account, shifted everything across, everything is back to normal. Very weird why it did that though?