LAPTOP OWNERS - don't buy Sony DualDisc CDs

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
I picked up the new Ben Folds today. It's in a new format called DualDisc, and it's remarkably thicker than normal CDs or DVDs, resulting in the fact that it did not fit in the drive of my 1.5 month-old Powerbook. I will, as you can imagine, have to take it back to the store tomorrow. Thing is, I don't know if the album comes as a regular CD.

enjoilax

Probably yes, but if it was found in the CD section argue that its not a real CD.

edit - I knew something was fishy when i first heard about this format...

kornchild2002

I like the DualDisc format despite its current limitations. With my notebook and my friend's notebook we are able to play DualDisc CD's as we have a drive that physically ejects itself, not a slot drive. However, the DualDisc can be played in my car slot-loading CD deck yet my friend cannot play them in his. Additionally my other friend has a notebook as well and his drive cannot play DualDiscs. Physically the DualDisc can fit in his CD drive but the drive itself won't play them. He can open iTunes and see the DualDisc but it won't play.

I hope the store you purchased it from will allow you to get the regular version as most stores will just allow you to get the same thing. When I purchased Judas Priest's Angel Of Retribution album, I got the DualDusc format. I wasn't paying attention and I wanted to get the regular version. When I took it back to Best Buy they said that I could only get another copy of the DualDisc version, not the regular edition. There argument was that there is a label on the front of the DualDisc saying that it does not conform to normal CD regulations and might not work on all CD players.

Teqnilogik

Website
www.teqnilogik.com
When I can, I purchase the audio CD version of the disc. For example, when Mudvayne's "Lost and Found" album was released it was available at Target in a Dual-Disc and audio CD version. The audio CD was less and I prefer the audio CD format. But sometimes, I can only find the Dual-Disc version of an album such as when I bought Judas Priest's "Angel of Retribution" and the new Bruce Springsteen album, "Devils & Dust." I have never had an issue with Dual-Disc albums, all have ripped and played fine for me.

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
I just hope that there is a regular version of the discs. I certainly didn't see one at the store. If not, then I'll get my money back, because the disc is defective.

kornchild2002

I hope they give you your money back as the disc is technically not defective, you don't have the ability to play it. Many stores are ####ty when it comes to exchanging CD's or DVD's. Sometimes you have to get the exact same CD, others you have to get another CD but you have credit in the amount of your original purchase, or I have even seen some places that will give you a full refund. Copyright issues are the main reasons most places make you get the same CD.

I don't see anything wrong with letting you get the regular audio CD version as the audio content with each version is the same. The video content might be the same if the regular CD was released with a bonus DVD.

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
I count the product as defective if it doesn't play on a normal CD player, which in the case of this product, is true. But I don't think I need to worry too much; the store is a local small business, not a giant chain.

kornchild2002

That's good, Best Buy wouldn't consider it a defective product because there is a label on the DualDisc case saying it may not work in all CD drives. Hence nothing is defective but the CD drive is incapable of reading the DualDisc.

kornchild2002

Yes! I love the SACD as it can still be played in normal CD players meaning I can rip it with my computer. With DVD-Audio the process of ripping is complicated and the audio is not as loud as a regular CD. With SACD I can still ge stereo signals in my car and on my computer but get the surround sound with my theater system.

I don't think the DualDisc format will last long, but Sony will fuel it. I hope the DualDisc dies just like the mini disc. Sony's formats have their plusses but the lack of universal support makes then terrible. You can't go to the store and pick up a PDA that uses memory stick duo unless you get a Sony. Other PDA's have SD/MMC or Compact Flash capabilities.

The whole format thing about Sony kinda ticks me off. The fact that only a Sony product will use the Sony formats blows. That is the one thing I hate about my PSP, it only has memory stick duo and memory stick pro duo memory expantion capabilities. Sony needed to add SD/MMC as well as the later formats are cheaper and almost anyone with a digital camera or PDA has a SD/MMC card sitting around.

Long live the regular audio CD!

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
Just an update - the store where I bought the disc has taken it back and is going to rip and burn a regular CD of it because Sony hasn't shipped them any normal CDs of it. I go back on Monday to get the DualDisc and the CD-R.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
I don't suppose this is a problem for us tray-loading notebook guys? I don't plan on buying Dual-Disc albums anyway...

But what's the difference? Is the data side just on both sides? Because I have a DVD or two like that.

gizmo3x

Pod Person
Website
gizmo3x.textamerica.com
I just picked up the Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth" DualDisk and it worked perfectly in my laptop. I've got a Dell Inspirion 8600 with a CDR/DVD drive that is tray loading... It ripped fine and transferred to the iPod with no problems.

I like the DualDisk because I would never use the cd otherwise after I transferred it to my iPod. With the DVD side I'll use it in my home theater system to hear it in Dolby 5.1... pretty cool in my opinion.