keyboard gets veryyy slow

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mightymilk

my keyboard seems to get really slow when I type a text message anyone know what the prob could be? like 1-2 delay when typing

PCthug

Website
www.msdesigns.co.uk
Could it be that your not fully closing down other programs, causing them to run in the background, using up memory, and bringing it to a halt.

To fully close programs you must keep the home button closed for about 8 seconds until the program exits. Or turning the phone off will also empty the memory.

1ghziMac

It seems that its with the 2.0 software. I am sure the next update will fix it. My touch never had a problem and my cousins first iPhone did not do it till the 2.0 update.

daihard

PCthug said:
Could it be that your not fully closing down other programs, causing them to run in the background, using up memory, and bringing it to a halt.

To fully close programs you must keep the home button closed for about 8 seconds until the program exits. Or turning the phone off will also empty the memory.
No programs are supposed to run in the background once closed with the home button. Read Jesse (Jhollington)'s informative post here.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=233023

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Mine got slow right after updating 3 apps from the apps store. In a mater of a few minutes the phone reset itself and then it was ok.

PCthug

Website
www.msdesigns.co.uk
daihard said:
No programs are supposed to run in the background once closed with the home button. Read Jesse (Jhollington)'s informative post here.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=233023
Just read that, and in fact here it is...

"Some of the built-in Apple applications like Safari leave a "stub" of the app in memory to maintain state, but the app does not actually run in the background (ie, it doesn't use CPU cycles).

In fact, you can prove this with Safari by loading a complex web page and then exiting. Safari will not continue to load the page in the background, and if you return it will likely start reloading that page from scratch, although it may also just pick up where you left off.

Obviously programs like the iPod app do run in the background -- sort of -- so that your music keeps playing. Even in this case, however, it's a "stub" music playback app that runs in the background, and not the iPod app itself that stays resident in memory.

This behaviour is completely restricted to Apple's own built-in applications. Third-party apps built with the SDK are required to shut down completely when the Home button is pressed. They can still save state -- in fact the SDK recommends this to provide a seamless experience, but they do not "run" in the background.

Even with Safari, if you load up enough additional applications, you will find that Safari does reload the page when you return to it. The "stub" in this case is volatile, and will be pushed out of memory if another application requires that memory space.

On the other hand, holding down the HOME button for about 8 seconds will always "Force Quit" an app and all related processes.

Jesse is actually saying that some Apple programs DO run in the back ground, like ipod. If you just pause a song, and exit the program, is it still there in the background? If you half open a page in Safari, exit it, and go back in, then the page is still there (and continues to load) showing that it must still be taking up a portion of memory when you exit it. This could cause the iPhone to slow down. The way to tell, is to turn your phone off and back on and see if that improves things at all.
I have only had my iPhone for a week, and didnt have the first gen, so its just a thought.

Last edited:

Sparky_92

mightymilk said:
my keyboard seems to get really slow when I type a text message anyone know what the prob could be? like 1-2 delay when typing
Yep, same thing happens on my iPhone 3G and my wife's iPhone EDGE when we updated to the 2.0 firmware.

Doesn't happen all of the time, but it's annoying.

mightymilk

I'm glad it's not just me, I figured it was just a CPU or ram resources issue but I had to be sure.

leoxz

Got the same problem with my 3G.
It's most common in the e- mail application fore me.

dmiZe

Yeah, it's the 2.0 software. Restarting my iPhone is usually a temporary fix.

Malux

i have the same issue on my 1st gen iphone with 2.0 firmware. I restart my phoen from time to time and it generally solves it.

RTiii320

This is not only a 2.0 software problem. It occured on my iPhone (1st gen) occassionally, now this is more frequent on my iPhone 3g but it is not exclusive to 2.0 software