Just hooked up iPod, won't recognize-NEED HELP!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

swift

Hey guys, I'm new to this board and to iPod's all-together. I looked through all of the topics but couldnt find an answer to my problem. Here it is(keep in my mind I'm not to good with computers):

-I have a 2nd Gen 10GB iPod.
-PCMCIA Firewire card with dual ports
-Windows XP on Dell laptop
-I installed the CD that came with the iPod. It had Updater 1.0 on it.
-I was assuming that that's old so I downloaded the 2.0 version and installed that as well.

Well the iPod isn't recognized at all. The Apple logo pops up and the picture of the firewire cable to be connected comes up and thats it. Nothing else. It disappears and turns off. This happenes every time I plus the firewire to the card. So the iPod does detect a card but no recognization in either the manager, Musicmatch or my bottom startup icon. The Firewire card is properly installed because I checked the device manager and everything is good to go.

Am I just missing something really major here? I tryed a few things but I didn't want to restore because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated and thanks.

KB

ashawley

Website
www.
Ah, you have a simple issue. Connect the iPod to the AC adaptor. See, the iPod needs power to finish the restore and your card doesn't power the iPod.

Once you connect it to the power outlet a progress bar will come up and the Restore will finish.

Now, I have to say one thing. I hope you didn't download the 2.0.1 updater. That's only for 3rd Gen iPod. You have a 2nd gen. Right?

So, download the 1.3 Updater from Apple. That is the version that's correct for your 2nd gen iPod.

But first, connect the iPod to the power outlet and let your restore finish. Then do another restore w/the 1.3 Updater.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and here's another little trick. If you're PCMCIA card has dual 6-pin ports, you can get a second firewire cable, connect that to the AC adaptor and plug it into a power outlet. This way when the iPod is connected it will get power. Nifty little trick. Of course if you only have dual 4-pin ports this won't work. :(

Adam

swift

The card was never restored to begin with yet. Well, I took it to my uncle's computer with a built in firewire card and it started running. Brought it home with a new Belkin PCMCIA card and it was working on that as well.

Then I decided it would be a great idea to restore it thinking thats what I have to do and it said to connect it to the AC adaptor when the restore finished. Well I did and no reflash of the firmware happened. Went to go hook it up back to the Belkin card and it started doing the same thing again. My guess is that my old card and new card are both ok but it maybe needs to be charged first?

When I hook it up to the AC adaptor, it does the same thing with the Apple logo and the cable connect picture then it disappears and black screen. So no progress bar. In other words, I'm not getting anymore options other than the cable picture and apple logo.

Thanks for your help and if there's anything else you can tell me do, to remedy this, I'll be very thankful.

KB

GSMan300

I have a DELL Laptop with Windows XP and had the EXACT same problem.

1. Unplug your IPOD
2. Uninstall all IPOD software
3. Put Window XP installation CD into the drive.
4. Restart your computer and boot up the Windows XP CD
5. After the CD has loaded all of the configurations click the Install new copy of XP or something like that...
6. You will then be brought to a screen giving you option to either Repair or install a fresh copy.
7. Click on repair
8. Your laptop will eventually restart and it will look like it's installing a fresh copy of xp, but it's not - it is just repairing.

That's all - trust me this works.

swift

Actually, it ended it being the AC Adaptor. It just doesnt work. It only charges when hooked up to either the adaptor or a regular desktop, not a firecard in a laptop. Thanks, and hopefully I can get the adaptor to fix somehow.

KB