• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Just got my first Mac

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

podio

Why are you reading this?
So last night I picked up a 20" 2.4GHZ core 2 duo iMac. So far its great, still running tiger till I get the upgrade disc I was promised. So can anybody recommend some free software that longtime and new mac users would recommend me download?:D

podio

Thanks, I installed both, Im more of a firefox guy but its there for when I use safari. Adium is amazing.

podio

Cool, thanks! I use dvd shrink on windows alot, I downloaded MactheRipper, but are there any free compressing programs. The ones Ive found have been stuff like Toast.

Sparkee

You'll want to get the Mac version of HandBrake for DVD ripping and iSquint for converting everything else for your iPod.

You may also be interested in Doug's "Set Video Kind of Selected" AppleScript if you're into adding TV Shows to iTunes. It will let you batch edit the TV Show tags. You'll want to bookmark this site, if there's something iTunes won't do for you, chances are you'll find an AppleScript here that will make it.

There's also TVShows for subscribing to TV Show bittorrents. It won't download shows, but it will send the new episodes over to your favorite bittorrent program for downloading.

irishdelight

i just bought a mac too the other day. just as i needed these to download. thanks guys

Sparkee

Since I believe they have improved Spotlight quite a bit in Leopard, there may not be much of a need for Quicksilver, but this gem shouldn't be over looked. I have yet to use even a fraction of it's potential, but it is a great App launcher and does way more than I can figure out how to use it. It creates a log of the most used apps, documents, folders and more. Hit the CRTL and the Space bar, a box pops up, type a few letters of the program you want and usually the program will pop up in 1-2 letters, hit enter and it's loading. The same happens with folders, URLs and more. I haven't even used a tenth of Quicksilvers capabilities.

Not an app tip, but something every new Mac users should know is how to really secure your system. I would recommend hitting System Preferences/Accounts and creating a new account set to "Allow user to administer this computer", this is your Admin account, remember the password. Once you have done this remove the check from this option in your main account, this will set it as a limited user. This helps prevents any changes to your system with out a popup that requires you to authorize the changes. This is what makes OS X and every other Unix/Linux OS secure and not requiring aintivirus or spyware software yet. And if you are not using a router, make sure the firewall is turned on in System Preferences/Sharing as well. I hear they forgot to turn the firewall on in Leopard.

Last edited:

splooshie

iPod vs. Creative
didnt know VLC player was cross-platform until now... huh... i use it on my linux. and pidgin is the linux form or adium =D so both those programs should be exellent

Justin Horne

MPlayer OS X.
I like it a little more than VLC

PearLyrics, for all your lyrics needs (better features/accuracy than others)
um... I can't think of any others, but I might post back