Just Bought a New iPod Touch 6th Gen and have a few questions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Gadzooks

Hi I just bought a new iPod touch 6th Generation to replace my iPod touch 4th Generation which served me well, but I was getting frustrated with Safari crashing when loading pages with lots of graphics, and now YouTube won't let me sign in anymore. And the battery, well the iPod 4th Gen needs to be connected unless running only the music app, for example, in airplane mode.

I used to post her quite a bit until I was able to figure most of the basic functions out, and this is a great forum.

My first question is this. When setting up the iPod, I saw somewhere that it said "iPod touch 7th Generation". I searched online and have seen screenshots and apparently it shows up when logging in to iCloud. I have tried logging out of iCloud and back in, but I cannot see where it says "iPod touch 7th Generation."

I don't think this is an error, as has been stated in a YouTube about this. I think that maybe Apple has updated the iPod to a 7th Generation on the quiet, possibly so as to not disappoint anyone who bought an iPod touch 6th Gen lately. When I purchased it I checked the stores online and it didn't say what Generation the new iPods were in the stores.

I just thought it was cool, but I cannot find where I saw this. Supposedly it is in the iCloud login, in settings.

Does anyone know where it might say "iPod touch xth Generation" in settings? Thanks!

PS my friends wondered why I bought an iPod touch when I could have an iPhone. I tell them that I can listen to music, YouTube, compose email, and so on, and still talk on my flip phone. and not interrupt my media.I don't use data, talk and text is all I need right now. I didn't want to finance a iPhone 6s 32gb over two years, but if I did I can walk out of the Source with one for $0 on a two year contract. I still may get an iPhone, i just don't need it right now. Besides, having a dedicated multimedia device is cool. These iPods are really cool! (I bought a 128gb so I can have my music offline when going out and about).

Gadzooks

Okay so when I setup my iPod touch 6th generation a couple of weeks ago, I believe it was when I logged into iCloud that I saw "iPod touch 7th Generaton" I have logged out and back in to iCloud and it no longer says anything. When I look at the devices on the iPod in the iCloud settings, it says only "This iPod" under my iPods name. (I cannot see this device on my iPod touch 4th Generation). The other device showing is a Windows PC. So today I logged into iCloud on my desktop PC. I am uploading a screenshot of it.(I have edited out my name and email for privacy reasons, no I don't have photoshop, and wouldn't even know the font that is being used!). I don't think this is a typo, as it was on the iPod itself when I set it up, and also here on iCloud on my PC. I do not want to reset my iPod as so far I have everything setup the way like so far.

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
That is weird.

And I just noticed iLounge had this article last week: 404 Not Found | iLounge

It looks like the rumors are true, but I think there is a bug in HW recognition...

Gadzooks

Hi cjmnews. Hmm could be a bug in the hardware, but I would assume it’s more likely programmed to say “7th Gen”. When were the 6th Gens released, in 2015? Seems more likely that they may have needed to update it so it could run iOS 12. It came with iOS 11 (11.4.1 it says in “about->version”, I assume by version they mean the iOS). Actually beside the 11.4.1 in brackets it says “(15G77)”. I don’t know what that means.

cjmnews

Staff member
More likely that a developer that wanted to show that the 7th generation would appear if detected, left the 6th generation version number in place for the 7th, and forgot (or didn't have the number yet) to change it back.

15G77 is some sort of build number for 11.4.1

Gadzooks

Thanks for the reply cjmnews. I can’t figure out where I saw “iPod touch 7th Generation “. I thought it was somewhere in the iCloud settings, but when I log out I can’t find it. I’m wondering if it was somewhere when I setup the iPod for the first time. And as you can see from the screenshots, it’s showing up in the iCloud on the desktop as well.

Last edited: